FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Engine Ticking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is their a way to fix the engine ticking on the spi?
Yup - change engines! :lol:

Seriously, I hated that sound. Stockfish told me the valvetrain tapping/ticking was just the way it runs, but it always unnerved me.I believe it's just due to the design of the valve seats and such... but I don't know that to be a cold, hard fact.

I've never heard a "new"ish engine make that noise (and mine made that noise at 55k), and I've never heard it again. My 2.0L Duratec never made that noise and my 3.0L Duratec V6 doesn't make that noise. It's probably a CVH/SPI head design peculiarity.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 15 2009, 12:39 PM Wrote:It's probably a CVH/SPI head design peculiarity.
[right][snapback]285000[/snapback][/right]

Learn to love the sound of lifter tap... :)

You could try an oil additive, but I'm not sure if that would help.

Ryan
Ahh, lifter tap - there you go! I was racking my brain, trying to think of what else could cause the noise! Good call, Ryan. :)
Lucas works for about 2000K and then you hear nothing but a sewing machine after that, I have a CF hood now and the noise it makes sounds like its broken.
Zetec has that too...on top of that I have a lightweight flywheel so I have that clanging noise also, and the chain drive on the supercharger theres a whole lot of clingclang happening.

Turn radio up louder!
Is there no way to adjust the lifters on those engines?

(Disclaimer - I come from the solid lifter VW world with the annual tradition of re-shimming my lifters)

:D

-George
When my cylinder head got back from the machine shop I checked every valve lash and it was all within range. I mean you couldn't get it any closer by swappin buckets or nothin, but my car still makes that noise :lol: Damn valvetrain!
No, SPI lifters are not adjustable.