FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How Do You Jump Start Your Car?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So after seeing my buddy have such a hard time jump starting his car I came to the realization that he had no clue what he was doing. After showing him how it was done both him and my brother were like WTF? So lets see? Do you know how to properly/safely jump start a car? Its actually werid how many ppl do it wrong. OMG once I even see a lady connect + from the dead battery to the - on the wokring battery LOL LOL

Sparks are cool
i can't explain it, but i can do it my sleep.
-connect dead red
-connect live red
-connect live black
-connect dead black to bare metal

It is a circle.

Live car should put some revs on before the dead car tries to start.

In the old days you could get by with one wire (red) so long as the metal bumpers of both the donor and dead car were touching. That was a long time ago though, do not attempt in a Focus.

;)

If you buy booster cables smaller gauge is better and they should be long enough that the cars are parked fore and aft facing the same direction as oppossed to side by side or nose to nose, you can't normally do that on the 401*.

EDIT: if both dead and live cars both have cables then the two sets of cables can be joined together and you could park one behind the other both facing the same direction.
:lol:

Quote:In the old days

Exactly how you stated it. I get ppl asking "Ummm arent you supposed to do red - red, black - to black" <_<

but you shoulnt of told the answer so soon. I wanted to see what ppl put lol
thabrat,Oct 24 2004, 02:02 AM Wrote::lol:

but you shoulnt of told the answer so soon. I wanted to see what ppl put lol
Sorry brat :(

Lets push it up a notch:

Q: "How do you bump/push start your car"

A: I used to know and am well practiced (motorcycle and old cars) but to be honest I don't even know if you can these days? Probably you still can the "tech" is sound but I want to here everyones guesses or techniques.
I've only "bump" started a manual car, but its pretty easy....I did it to someones hyundai accent when they left their lights on all day and had a dead battery. Its WAY easier than messing around with cables....

Turn key to start/run position.
Take out of gear
Push forward or reverse
When car is moving at approx walking speed get in car
Clutch in
Quickly put into 1st or rev(depending on the direction its going..)
Clutch out
*started like magic

Heres a tough one:

Can you bump/push start an automatic car?
Yes it still can be done... I have done it on my Focus for shits a giggles...

I wont give the answer away, But I had to do it everyday for my VW back in the day.
I have yet to actually succesfully push start a car? Last time I tried was in high school and I was lucky if I could move the thing an Inch. Dam Regal's lol

I watched my buddy pushed start some dude on his motorbike LOL thats hilarious LOL. He was telling us how he was always looking for a hill or something so he didnt have to ask some one to push him lol
hardk0re/s2,Oct 24 2004, 02:34 AM Wrote:Can you bump/push start an automatic car?
The root of my question and wy I ask about "modern" cars.

If in that situation I would stay in N until I thought there was enough compression possible and then hit D, covering the accelerator all the time. Whether you are in One, Two, Three, Four, OD on or off shouldn't matter because they all start in One the AT just limits what gear you can access from there? Then I'd get on the gas ASAP once you hear combustion?
thabrat,Oct 24 2004, 02:41 AM Wrote:....I watched my buddy pushed start some dude on his motorbike LOL thats hilarious LOL. He was telling us how he was always looking for a hill or something so he didnt have to ask some one to push him lol
So true. My 550 Kawi went through 3 Kawi starters but none since I put in a 750 Suzuki one. Before anyone asks, that is about all Suzuki did right before 1985.

You don't even need a hill I could "paddle" my legs or the more spectacular "Le Mans start" where you push/run it down the road and toss a leg over. Push starting is very easy when you are 10:1 ratio stock.
Push starting a car on a slippery icey road LOL
never saw before a push start on an auto tranny...but if you have no power.(no computer)..how the dead sending unit its going to make the fuel pump send fuel to the dead injectors???? :(
Never have i seen a Auto get a push or bump start... Need juice to get the other important parts working first..
no no doing it all wrong just crack the hood open.....find the celenoid(sp?) take a screw driver and press it against both the out side bolts...that should do it :D
ok bump it another notch....

how do you start a car with a soldering iron??????