FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Michelin X-ice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

i'm looking for a set of these for the ZX3, 195/60/15 so far Costco has them for 136 Ea and i called some other guy and he can get them for 129. these prices includes installation, ballancing, new stem valve. the only thing you have to pay is tax. so has anyone found a better price then this? if not then i go and buy it from them

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...tireModel=X-Ice

here is the link in case you want to know what it looks like. Also what do you guys think about these? i know they are pretty new and no one has tested them yet.

Lates mo

Did you check with rubberman yet? how about steelecase tires & mags? Sometimes they're pretty good about pricing.
Raine,Oct 15 2004, 01:36 PM Wrote:Did you check with rubberman yet? how about steelecase tires & mags? Sometimes they're pretty good about pricing.
i called steelescase and i was talking to Earl, he is telling me that this is the forth tire that Michelen has brought up in the last 4years and he doesnt want to try it first. he is telling me that i should go with Nokian's. any thought on that?

they both go for 129 as well. mounted, balanced and included. it will be just 15%tax extra

01-yellow-ZX3

I've never seen cheaper prices than Rubberman's, just insane.
01-yellow-ZX3,Oct 15 2004, 04:50 PM Wrote:I've never seen cheaper prices than Rubberman's, just insane.
what is their contact number?

i tried calling 705-544-8454 but it says its out of service
mo_focus,Oct 15 2004, 03:53 PM Wrote:he is telling me that i should go with Nokian's. any thought on that?

they both go for 129 as well. mounted, balanced and included. it will be just 15%tax extra
You certainly can't go wrong. He is likely talking about Hakka 2's (I have 1's) and the are outstanding, the 2's can only be better. The coming winter will be my 3rd year on them.

Steelcase probably also still stocks the perfect winter wheels too, 15" black steelies made for Ford Europe Mondeo's.

We have some sort of discount with Steelcase via OFOC but I suspect that price is already a discounted "early bird" price. They do 'early bird' sales each fall because by the time the first snow falls IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY at that store. Many many clubs use Steelcase.

What I did is have them, supply, mount and balance but instead of putting them on the car right away I took them home and did it myself later in the fall.
I had the Nokian hakka 2s put on last winter from Steelecase. They were amazing in the snow. No complaints here.
mo_focus,Oct 15 2004, 02:21 PM Wrote:
01-yellow-ZX3,Oct 15 2004 Wrote:I've never seen cheaper prices than Rubberman's, just insane.
what is their contact number?

i tried calling 705-544-8454 but it says its out of service
You call Fordwich tire, ask for Bob. The number is:

519-335-6307

He hooked me up with 4 great tires, installed them, AND did my dampers and springs.. All in the same day... he also did the tires for my father's car. Bob's a good guy, and certainly deserving of the business.
Has anyone tired Kal Tire. While I was at my local Kal tire they were taking about the Nokian hakka 2s and he quoted $115 for that size installed, balanced, Etc. I got my Blizzak from there last year for $400 cheaper than anywhere else. And yes I already have my snow tires on as we are going to be getting that masty white stuff this weekend.
well i got me a set of michelin X-Ice for 550.00 installed balanced and everything. michelin has this offer from oct.18 to nov.6 that they will give you 50.00 worth of free gas. so i guess the tires cost me only 500.00 i dont think that is that bad. i'll try them this year and i will let you guys know about how they are in winter and ice.

Hey... maybe you guys can help me. I need winter tires from my WRX, 205/55/16. I'm looking for a tire with good dry and wet road performance, and good ice grip, but don't need a deep snow tread. Basically, we don't get much snow down here, so I don't want a Blizzak or something that SUCKS on dry roads. I want to still be comfortable/have fun on dry roads, but I want ice grip, and more snow traction than an all-season can offer.

I'm thinking Dunlop Winter Sport?

Any other ideas?
I have tried KalTire and I have been waiting months to get my 205/50R16 Hakka RSI's for the SVT. They say the size is always on back order. Just wait two weeks they say...over and over again. The snow has started and I need tires. I will probably cancel my order today.
When I got my Blizzack last yeat for my SVT, they were they only ones I could get fast. I needed them quickly as we has a storm with snow and ice.They are a good tire. I didn't have any problems on dry pavement with mine.
Hey i sell x-ice 195/60r15 for 135 each, but wait till after Oct 18 to buy from me because ford dealers are giving a $50 mail in rebate for a gas card from petro canada
Crazirich,Oct 16 2004, 03:34 PM Wrote:Hey i sell x-ice 195/60r15 for 135 each, but wait till after Oct 18 to buy from me because ford dealers are giving a $50 mail in rebate for a gas card from petro canada
thanks, but i got them at 129 each and i only paid one tax for it as well. and as for the petro canada gas rebate im getting that too.
P-51,Oct 16 2004, 01:31 PM Wrote:Hey... maybe you guys can help me. I need winter tires from my WRX, 205/55/16. I'm looking for a tire with good dry and wet road performance, and good ice grip, but don't need a deep snow tread. Basically, we don't get much snow down here, so I don't want a Blizzak or something that SUCKS on dry roads. I want to still be comfortable/have fun on dry roads, but I want ice grip, and more snow traction than an all-season can offer.

Any other ideas?
Yokohama AVS winter is exactly what you want P-51, I've got them on my WRX. There better than the stock all seasons in the dry, are great in cold temperatures and forward motion is never a problem. They are not knobby school bus snow tires they are winter tires, you know the difference.

I hope your sitting down, they will be about $200/each.

<a href='http://www.yokohamatire.ca/en/tireselector/pcw.htm#avswinter' target='_blank'>http://www.yokohamatire.ca/en/tireselector/pcw.htm#avswinter

Trust me on the tires, finding winter wheels will be the hard part.

You may not find many tire reviews as they were not sold in the US last year just Canada and Europe.
P-51,Oct 16 2004, 09:31 AM Wrote:Hey... maybe you guys can help me. I need winter tires from my WRX, 205/55/16. I'm looking for a tire with good dry and wet road performance, and good ice grip, but don't need a deep snow tread. Basically, we don't get much snow down here, so I don't want a Blizzak or something that SUCKS on dry roads. I want to still be comfortable/have fun on dry roads, but I want ice grip, and more snow traction than an all-season can offer.

Any other ideas?
I'd give the Michelin Pilot Alpine PA2 tires a try ... there a ultra high performance winter tire, great on snow and ice plus it has a high speed rating for dry traction.

There probably about $160-170 a tire for the size your looking for
P-51,Oct 16 2004, 01: Wrote:I need winter tires from my WRX, 205/55/16.&nbsp; I'm looking for a tire with good dry and wet road performance, and good ice grip, but don't need a deep snow tread.&nbsp; Basically, we don't get much snow down here, so I don't want a Blizzak or something that SUCKS on dry roads.&nbsp; I want to still be comfortable/have fun on dry roads, but I want ice grip, and more snow traction than an all-season can offer. I'm thinking Dunlop Winter Sport? Any other ideas?
I installed Hankook W300 Ice Bears a few days ago. Very happy with the performance - especially in today's first of season snowfall. These Ice Bears are quieter than my OEM ContiSportContact summer tires. Hankook is Korean, and the price of the W300 Ice Bears is significantly less than for the major brands.

On my SVT, the 205/55/16 size rubs. I should have installed 205/50/16. But if your OEM wheels have the correct offset, fender rub may not be a problem for you.