FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rust Proofing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last year I had my car rust checked, I was wondering if it's really necessary to rust check every year or could I just undercoat the car instead? Man does the car ever become a gooy mess after rust checking, my doors, hatch etc were leaking that pink oil sh't for almost 2 weeks <_< .
Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
I like Krown for rustproofing because there products don't drip for weeks, usually a day or two and your done. Every year is a good idea. The rustproofing fails in the summer months due to heat, and some falls off naturally, as the product is meant to do. The best time to rustproof is NOT THE FALL!!! More people think, and argue that it is, but the best time of year to do rustproofing is the spring.

I'll second Krown and reapply every year. Have done on both cars since new. What is more unsightly oil drips for a few days or rust forever?

If it is a leased car or you if you own and are going to keep it <7 years don't bother. If you are going long term if, just as their advertising says, the rust control keeps you in your car for just one year longer it will save you many $1000's.

I'd still have my old car if it was rust checked but I got it used and never was.

The best Krown shop of many I have tried is in Mississauga, Lakeshore east of Hurontario north side turn at the Midas Muffler shop. George will take care of you. If you are anywhere within 100 miles you should seek him out.

As an example I had my first application done elsewhere but he said they missed some of the harder to reach places and at no charge drilled out some extra holes.

Don't fear the drill!
I second the motion for KROWN. Used it the last 2 years and once you start
using it ..its the same price for undercoating as long as you own the car.
I'll get 'er Krowned this week ;) .
Rust proofing who needs that...
I had a 92 topaz, never rust checked, took it to the mechanic last year cause it was changing owners and needed a safety. The mechanic looked underneath the car and said holy &$%#. He said dont step on the floor to hard casue there is none, the bottom of the car is complete rust. the only reason it passed the safety is because the mechanic is my uncle:)
just move to Lower mainland never have to worry about rust ever its awesome.
How much should I be paying for krown stuff guys? I dun wanna be taken here...

01-yellow-ZX3

Is it ever too late to get Krowned?

And whats it worth?
I think it's $129 plus tax

After using Krown for many years I have come to the conclusion that for a new car there is nothing better. I have also found that if you have existing rust Krown seems to accelerate it. I am sure that everyone will disagree, especially Krown but my personal experience is that with existing rust krown does nothing but make the rust worse. After not krowning for 3 years the rust has slowed down quite abit.
crazikev,Oct 11 2004, 04:41 AM Wrote:I had a 92 topaz, never rust checked, took it to the mechanic last year cause it was changing owners and needed a safety. The mechanic looked underneath the car and said holy &$%#. He said dont step on the floor to hard casue there is none, the bottom of the car is complete rust. the only reason it passed the safety is because the mechanic is my uncle:)
It's one thing to have a buddy safety a car so you can drive it yourself but in this case it sounds like you sold it to a third party. Very uncool, there are reasons these safety standards exist.
crazikev,Oct 11 2004, 12:41 AM Wrote:I had a 92 topaz, never rust checked, took it to the mechanic last year cause it was changing owners and needed a safety. The mechanic looked underneath the car and said holy &$%#. He said dont step on the floor to hard casue there is none, the bottom of the car is complete rust. the only reason it passed the safety is because the mechanic is my uncle:)
Did your floors rust out everywhere or just the back like our's did :D
01-yellow-ZX3,Oct 11 2004, 04:36 AM Wrote:Is it ever too late to get Krowned?

And whats it worth?
Never too late. Krown actually slows any rust thats already begun.

$110 in Burlington.
CanadaSVT,Oct 12 2004, 02:25 AM Wrote:Never too late.  Krown actually slows any rust thats already begun. $110 in Burlington.
I had Krown rust-proofing done earlier this week.

I'd like to know, though - whether there is good evidence that Krown or any other rustproofing actually extends the life of a car body in Ontario conditions.
01-yellow-zx3,
You can check Ming or Ziebart here in Winnipeg. I have never had a vehicle done cause I think it is hokey, but they don't use salt here like Ontario. Cleaning often does lots to help. I would think that the holes they drill are more a source of potential corrosion then a little brackish water running down the windows.