FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Awd For Focus On Fj
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
guy on the jet is selling a AWD conversion for like 5000US

CLICK

and

also a turboed contour SVT engine that fits a focus for 7000 US...

Click
FociPhil,Oct 9 2004, 09:54 PM Wrote:guy on the jet is selling a AWD conversion for like 5000US

CLICK
Here I go again: :rolleyes:

I know it sounds cool and all but for perspective I can tell you the 100HP of my old 4WD was woefully inadequate (2600lb). The smallest engine in Subaru's is now 165HP (Impreza TS=3000lb). Everyone complains about the AWD Vibe and Matrix (2965lb) as being at best adequate and they are 123HP .

A AWD Focus would work but some things are just not worth doing. What do we figure a AWD Focus would weigh? 3000? whatever the V-8 conversions weigh it would be "about" the same.

I know I'll catch hell but nobody should pay $8,000CDN parts and god knows how much labour to AWD a 130HP car. Not in a world where used WRX's sell for <$20,000CDN, a new base Impreza is $23,000 and given their recent popularity a wide selection of used Subarus for a any price you are willing to pay. Then there are used late model Audis selling for a fraction of new.

The Focus is great and all but even the most true blue of Ford fans can possibly justify the cost rationally?
it doesn't say anywhere that the V6 is from a SVT.

as for the AWD swap... sounds fishy to me!
he lables it as a "KIT" but i have not yet seen one of these in a car todate... unless i've had my head in the sand or something!?

not to mention, the install cost on a AWD kit would be probably upping on $5k-10,000cnd with all the fabrication and custom worked needed.
and then you are still left with a motor not capable of really anything.... there's another $5000cnd atleast to make the car worthy of everything done to it.
anything less than 300awhp in a car like that would be a joke. <_<
If you absolutely must have a AWD Ford compact I'd start with an Escape and work backwards from there. As an example a Forester is the same as an Impreza.

What I mean is get an Escape drop it, shave all the offroad crap off, wheels, some body work, basically clean it up. That would be cheaper than grafting 4WD Escape parts to a Focus body.

I believe you even see the occaisional Ford Ranger pick up in high level SCCA rallies.

Edit: a manual tranny is not offered with 4x4 Escapes so a manual 4x4 Ranger is the only North American Ford with manual & 4WD. Maybe someday the 500 will be offered as 4WD & stick? Until then you could by a Jag I guess?
not on that exact ad, but somewhere else that linked it o me, it said it was a contour SVT engine...

im not saying i would do it, but i just decided to post it...
and not sure that engine could fit with turbo and everything else.. the engine well it has been done, but i thought it was pretty tight in there.. probably never put it..