FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Could I Beat?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got my Car 4 months ago... I use to be a Honda Guy...

I love my Focus, But now I have the question in my Head... Can i beat a:

-Civic DOHC si?
-RSX?
Mazda Speed?

I Have a CAI,FC TB and a FK Suspension Kit.

Let me know, Also What else should i do before Winter hits?

01-yellow-ZX3

Classic question that involves a lot of variables...

Civic - what year?
My car blows away most lightly modified SI's around the 93-01 range.

RSX - depends, but I doubt it.

Mazda Speed - which?
-probably not
-probably not
-probably not

Before winter you will definately want snow tires. I'd get rust proofed by "Rust Check" asap if you own the car (not leased) and intend to keep it beyond 7 or more years.
Chromey,Oct 8 2004, 11:51 PM Wrote:I just got my Car 4 months ago... I use to be a Honda Guy...

-Civic DOHC si?
-RSX?
Mazda Speed?

you dont have that many power making mods unfortunately....so I would just recommend getting some more mods before racing anyone....unless you are bracket racing. The focus isnt exactly a lightweight, and the stock 110hp at the wheels or so....well thats not all that fast of a car. If you want to make some more power I would recommend cams, cam gears and header/exhaust, it still wont be any crazy monster, but it will feel much quicker than stock, and it will be reliable.

if you want lots of power then look to forced induction....but be warned! you will most likely have some driveability issues that may take a long time to sort out.
All 3 cars you listed are essentially drivers races.

Bump them all up 1 catagory...

SIR, RSX-S, 180hp mazda3 (i assume thats what you mean by the last one) ...

and you get .. No, no and no.

If you put an si engine into an earlier civic.. no again. =P

you can beat any car out there... you could have 300 more hp then this dude and still get wommpped. driver is everything... at the drag tracks here jarrod did circles around svt. the srt-4 was lucky to hit 17s... the crx with n2o and turbo was having trouble hitting 16's... HELL my buddies 17's del sol kept up to a vette....the dodge caravan was hitting 12's...

as for cars I myself have raced..

RSX (this is non Type-S)
SIR I beaten the 2 in the city. One having mods...even a stock sc2 beat him...
Destroyed many Camaros
Got mutilated by a el camino in 3rd
v6 mustangs are a joke...
sunfire gt
many caviliers

the focus I find can easily destroy many cars off the start and into about 3rd then the focus just seems to get slow and slower. doing these cars in a 1/4 mile its like im winning but come 3rd there rigth up beside me.. but i repeat like dan said there all drivers races... you can have 20g in the engine and be the slowest car out there..
B) werd.....SIR's are over rated....the lack in torque gives the focus that head start we need ...but a good driver is all u need to be
Chromey,Oct 8 2004, 07:51 PM Wrote:I just got my Car 4 months ago... I use to be a Honda Guy...

-Civic DOHC si?
-RSX?
Mazda Speed?

civic si's aren't dohc.. SIR on the other hand is.. so the lowest rated dohc civic is an sir at 160hp 111lbs torque, and newer ones at 160hp and 130lbs .. unless you mean a delsol si that used to have a dohc engien.. i have raced both Sir and failed.. i heard the newer ones are slower than the 6gen but still the 7gen just seemed like the guy was just playing with me.. you can see my mods in my sig.. best now for me is 15.9x but only did 2 passes..

rsx all have vtec too and about 11lbs more torque than the new Sir.. ive seen one do 15.4 stock.. and have also lost pretty miserably to this one hehe :P

mazdaspeed well i have to say, they are pretty peppy.. but i have never raced one (drag).. but i have raced 2 of them on race track and i could pretty much keep up with one of them all day.. he would take a little advantage on the straight (but not that much) and then id get back to him on the curves.. but i think he just didn't push his car as much caus the other one was alot faster, and i had trouble keeping up.. maybe he had more boost or maybe he just drove better than the other one.. but i would think that at that HP rating, they would win pretty easily..

and i dont know who you guys race but they need driving lessons.. stock for stock, i would do better numbers in an Sir, and RSX and a Mazdaspeed than i would anyday with my focus even with the small mods.. i have beaten a celica gts more than once on the track yet i am positive that if I were behind that wheel.. i would kill my focus times anyday hehe.. i would not consider this a drivers race..

anyway i would not consider myself the best driver around but i know how to drive my car, have yet to see anyone beat the 16.198 in stock form with bald factory tires..of course everyone here is going to come and say they all did better haha.. not the point, i just mean that i do not do 17.x with the stock car.. and i dont believe you can beat them cars unless their drivers really suck..
thabrat,Oct 9 2004, 06:00 AM Wrote:you can beat any car out there... you could have 300 more hp then this dude and still get wommpped. driver is everything... at the drag tracks here jarrod did circles around svt. the srt-4 was lucky to hit 17s... the crx with n2o and turbo was having trouble hitting 16's... HELL my buddies 17's del sol kept up to a vette....the dodge caravan was hitting 12's...

as for cars I myself have raced..

RSX (this is non Type-S)
SIR I beaten the 2 in the city. One having mods...even a stock sc2 beat him...
Destroyed many Camaros
Got mutilated by a el camino in 3rd
v6 mustangs are a joke...
sunfire gt
many caviliers

the focus I find can easily destroy many cars off the start and into about 3rd then the focus just seems to get slow and slower. doing these cars in a 1/4 mile its like im winning but come 3rd there rigth up beside me.. but i repeat like dan said there all drivers races... you can have 20g in the engine and be the slowest car out there..
its pretty lame to say driver is everything....to say you can beat another car because the driver doesnt know what he is doing is stupid.

why even ask the question.."can I beat this car" if you are talking about racing someone that doesnt know which pedal is go and which one is stop. :rolleyes:

....and I wouldnt go around saying I can destroy camero's unless my car can beat most camero's regardless of engine or driver.
Quote:its pretty lame to say driver is everything....to say you can beat another car because the driver doesnt know what he is doing is stupid.

so how to explain jarrod's stock zx3 mutilating the svt. how to you explain the srt running high times... sounds like the driver to me....

and for your info a focus can beat most actually many of the camaros here in this city..

also remember we here in western canada lose a good chunk of hp here. we sit pretty high above sea level...

also i hate when ppl bring up the word vtech ahhhh most over rated thing out there..... specially on the new hondas... and vtech is only on one cam from stock on newer h badges...
may i just add... who cares if you win or lose. i myself like to race the cars i know I cant win against. I find I get better practice and run faster times.. :lol: 12second novas are the best and pro stock cars work to..
Yes
Yes. RSX-S No.
Yes

Before winter hits get 4 snow tires ;)
thabrat,Oct 10 2004, 01:35 AM Wrote:
Quote:its pretty lame to say driver is everything....to say you can beat another car because the driver doesnt know what he is doing is stupid.

so how to explain jarrod's stock zx3 mutilating the svt. how to you explain the srt running high times... sounds like the driver to me....

and for your info a focus can beat most actually many of the camaros here in this city..

also remember we here in western canada lose a good chunk of hp here. we sit pretty high above sea level...

also i hate when ppl bring up the word vtech ahhhh most over rated thing out there..... specially on the new hondas... and vtech is only on one cam from stock on newer h badges...
yea, jarrod may have been beating that svt all day long....but that doesnt mean his car is faster than an svt focus, thats all I am saying. It really isnt an accomplishment to beat an svt focus if your only running 16's or 17's in the 1/4. no matter what you beat, your still running high 16's low 17's no matter how you look at it, and that isnt exactly fast.

im not dissing jarrod or anything, thats good he beat him, obviosly he can drive better than the guy with the svt, but if you are looking at which car is faster, really that svt focus should run at least high 15's or the driver doesnt know how to drive.

we aint all bragging that he beat the svt. we were actually upset the svt lost. we dont get to see very many svts out here so when that guy pulled up we were like whoa! we can see one in action now. then its was like wtf why did he just get mutilated. that shouldnt of happened.. reason he won? the guy is the svt didnt have a clue how to launch nor when to shift.. doesnt make him a bad driver just shows he dont know how to race..

As far as hitting 16's on a stock focus no one is saying that it is fast. I seen fast cars. My focus is no where near to fast and thats what I tell ppl. Its just so happens it can still beat alot of other cars LOL You will never make a 4 banger fast.. it can be quick but fast.............NEVER.... Only thing asked was some one wanting to know how his focus would do against some cars. The honest truth is there is a 50% chance he will either win or lose and thats basing it all on the driver... they can have intakes, pulleys, tb who gives a sheat...

how ever basing a focus vs those cars with 2 good drivers the focus is still going to whomp them off the start but watch out when getting into 3rd. Those SIR's are coming right up behind you lol... sunfire gts are a good practice car to. even with it being little bit bigger engine the focus will pull faster but get into 3rd that sunfire gt is rigth beside you..

but your still right the svt is a faster car then the zx3
a type s when comparing spec would mutilate a zx3
an sir is faster
I think you could beat a Civic Si if it's stock or close to being stock...since you've got more torque, shift early to hit the sweetspot again in the next gear. In terms of the RSX, I don't know, never went up against one on either the street or highway. I won't bother saying anything about beating any of those cars in organized drag racing...I've never drag raced any of my cars on a track before myself. In terms of beating up on a Mazdaspeed...I think you'd give one a decent run for it's money from 0-80 km/h, but then his extra HP would have him lose you towards the end of a quarter mile. I think that winning is a combination of both the driver and the vehicle. Like I mentioned a long time ago, I did a street drag race against a 2K1-2K3 Civic Si with typical mods in an almost bone-stock 1992 Mercury Topaz GS 2dr. I got laughed at by the driver and his buddy in the civic when I pulled up on him at a stop light, but they weren't laughing after I beat them by 4-5 car lengths, and I know he wasn't going easy on his car because I could hear him putting it into the red in 3 gears trying to keep up (or better put...catch up...hehehe). Actually, I think a better example of "Beating" someone with your car is best done on the highway. Get into a ramp like the one where the 427 ends and meets with the Gardiner and QEW in missisauga, or through the twists of highway 60 through algonquin park...I'm sure you'll find your focus can easily beat a lot of other cars by out-cornering, and out-breaking them. That always seems to work for me anyways...
Oh yeah, just to add one more thing... the Topaz is a 2dr 5spd with a 3.0L V6...sure it's only like 135 HP at like 5000 rpm, but it's got 160 ft/lbs at around 2500 rpm. As far as I know, a Civic Si is somewhere between 150 and 160hp at around 5700 rpm, but as far as I remember, they're only 112 or 122 ft/lbs, also at like 5700 rpm...does this sound right to you guys?
you should of seen this dodge voyager (van) at the track... holy crap was it fast. looked just like a regular family van but was hitting 12's.....

the rsx type s is a fast car to. the guy at the drag was using a vtech controller and was hitting some nice numbers..
boost til'bust,Oct 10 2004, 11:3 Wrote:yea, jarrod may have been beating that svt all day long....but that doesnt mean his car is faster than an svt focus, thats all I am saying. It really isnt an accomplishment to beat an svt focus if your only running 16's or 17's in the 1/4. no matter what you beat, your still running high 16's low 17's no matter how you look at it, and that isnt exactly fast.

im not dissing jarrod or anything, thats good he beat him, obviosly he can drive better than the guy with the svt, but if you are looking at which car is faster, really that svt focus should run at least high 15's or the driver doesnt know how to drive.
i understand what you mean and i agree.. not something good to feel about when the other driver just can't drive or drive best.. when you start comparing camaros to focus .. hmmm.. v6 camaros ok.. but 13s stock camaros?!

thats like a guy with a zx2 that says he owned a svt.. i had an argument about that on their board.. we all know the svt has issues launching with the traction control.. but this guy had a video to show it.. what he did, he just launched better got some lenght in front, then shifted in 2nd.. svt is about that catch him and zx2 guy shuts down..anyway just thought that was kind of stupid.. calim he owned an svt at near end of 2nd gear.. even a 1/4, you are more than a gear away.. like 50 more km/h to go..

i dont pretend to be fast but thats no way to compare