FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Thin Wall Socket?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the new rota wheels on, i just found out that the factory lug nut wrench that is stored with the spare tire and jack in the trunk is TOO THICK to fit between in the lug nuts now. So i can't even remove my tires now.

I did some research and i think what i need is something called a "thin wall socket"? Is this correct?
cornflakes,Apr 13 2009, 08:24 PM Wrote:With the new rota wheels on, i just found out that the factory lug nut wrench that is stored with the spare tire and jack in the trunk is TOO THICK to fit between in the lug nuts now.  So i can't even remove my tires now.

I did some research and i think what i need is something called a "thin wall socket"?  Is this correct?
[right][snapback]284877[/snapback][/right]

if i remember right you should have tuner lugs...and the socket for those should fit fine
the socket fits fine but what i mean is the lug nuts are so tight with the wheel that there is not enough space for the stock lug nut wrench to squeeze through.

Even if i could squeeze it through, it'd be scratching the hell out of my wheels when i turn the wrench.

I've looked it up and i think it's called a thin wall socket where the walls are much thinner and deeper too, and then you use a wrench to fit into the thin wall socket.
i think this is what i need:

[Image: thinwallsocket.jpg]

@ cdn tire for 24.99

"Designed specfically for use with alloy wheels with deep lug nuts.
THin walled wrench with extra deep sockets.
Fits 2/3" (17mm), 3/4" (19mm), 13/16" (21mm), and 7/8" (23mm) lug nuts.
Made out of durable chrome-vanadium steel, with rubber handle"
Partsource right now has them for $14.99, same thing. Save money! :D
Rather than the bar shown above, I'd suggest on of these: ½-in.-Drive Flexible Handle, especially if you take the wheels off on a regular basis (e.g. at track days). I had the same problem as you, bought on of these, and I like it a lot.
imack,Apr 14 2009, 05:59 AM Wrote:Rather than the bar shown above, I'd suggest on of these: ½-in.-Drive Flexible Handle, especially if you take the wheels off on a regular basis (e.g. at track days). I had the same problem as you, bought on of these, and I like it a lot.
[right][snapback]284900[/snapback][/right]

That's an expensive breaker bar! I have a Princess Auto one for about half that...
If you have never put your rims on please remember to have them balanced, I can see the next thread already.."These Rotas are making my car shake."
You could always get something called spline nutz, it will still cover the stud and will provide you with security on you wheels too. Let me know if you want a set. Not sure the price. Key is about $8-$10 and the nutz are about $20-$25 for 16 of them.
well i bought the thin wall socket with wrench it fits perfectly....no problems putting on or removing the lug nuts now.