FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Should I Add Nitrous?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a guy locally selling off his nitrous kit, and wondering what you all think I should do... I CAN spare the money, but is this a smart mod or not... it IS illegal which makes me think twice...
Dont drive on the street with the bottle in your car....

Not illegal anymore.
Dan's right... leave the bottle disconnected and you're fine.. but so much for hunting mopeds if you do...

I personaly would say save up the money for something better, like FI... if you use the nitrous alot, the cost in N2O refills should be enough to buy FI over time. Even though you can't argue against the instant gratification, and relatively cheap entry fee...
Um.. correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have an Auto, Tony? Am I the only one that thinks adding N20 on an auto might be a little unsafe?
Raine,Oct 5 2004, 11:03 PM Wrote:Um.. correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have an Auto, Tony? Am I the only one that thinks adding N20 on an auto might be a little unsafe?
werd
get a mtx before n2o
there is no prob running nitrous with an auto there are many way to set it up so It can work for you. make sure if you do get it you get everything. as for refills your looking at about 80 - 100$ a pop and depending how much you use it those tanks can get empty pretty fast specialy if you got a purge kit lol

I think nitrous is the safest route to go if you want to keep your car as a daily driver. i think it would be best if you goto the track or if your doing it for show. but when would you seriously use it?

how much is he asking just for the bottle. the bottles alone are a good chunk of $$$$$$...
thabrat,Oct 6 2004, 01:06 PM Wrote:there is no prob running nitrous with an auto ...
a SMALL shot, perhaps...but is anyone is running more than a 50-75 shot without inevitably causing damage to a stock, automatic Focus tranny?
The thing is .. your less likely to do something to your tranny because your not killing it with a power overload all the time.

Id probably invest in a tranny cooler, which isnt alot of money...

And then id probably feel ok about runnning a 50-60 shot here and there. Once and a while wont hurt the tranny.... If you goto the track daily and do 10 passes a day... then you have a problem.
then again the autos I scene with nitrous were only doing a 35 shot...
35 shot .. why ..

The only reason id use a 35 shot was to clean my engine.

:lol: :lol:

If your gonna run nitrous on the zetec engine atleast run a wet 50 shot.
darkpuppet,Oct 6 2004, 02:07 AM Wrote:Dan's right... leave the bottle disconnected and you're fine.. but so much for hunting mopeds if you do...

I personaly would say save up the money for something better, like FI... if you use the nitrous alot, the cost in N2O refills should be enough to buy FI over time. Even though you can't argue against the instant gratification, and relatively cheap entry fee...
you cant get a ticket for nitrous hooked up in your car. The only ticket they can give you is transporting dangerous materials in an unsafe mannor...or something similar to that. There is no specific ticket for hooking up nitrous to your car...so hooked up, or not hooked up, if you have it in your car, you may get a ticket.

dont get me wrong, I am not saying that this is whats going to happen if you get pulled over by a cop, because they are going to give you a ticket if they feel like it, it doesnt matter if its right or wrong.

do you really think a cop would say, "oh you have nitrous, but its not hooked up, so I wont give you a ticket"....if they are going to give you a ticket they are going to give you a ticket, they dont care if its hooked up....but that doesnt mean that its a legitamate ticket, and you cant fight it.
tdot-zx3,Oct 6 2004, 07:37 PM Wrote:35 shot .. why ..

HAHAHAHAHA...

I would also bet that a *good* driver in a stock focus could beat a not-so-good driver with a 35 shot, lol.
tdot-zx3,Oct 6 2004, 07:37 PM Wrote:35 shot .. why ..

:lol: :lol:
Thats just to funny
tdot-zx3,Oct 6 2004, 08:21 PM Wrote:The thing is .. your less likely to do something to your tranny because your not killing it with a power overload all the time.

And then id probably feel ok about runnning a 50-60 shot here and there. Once and a while wont hurt the tranny.... If you goto the track daily and do 10 passes a day... then you have a problem.
focus' come from the factory with an external tranny cooler already.
boost til'bust,Oct 9 2004, 12:1 Wrote:focus' come from the factory with an external tranny cooler already.
Isn't that like a "sort of comes with", it's not a traditional tranny cooler like you'd get with a tow package thats has a radiator. Isn't it more like a external resevoir with air cooling fins (like a motorcycle engine)? Not sure but that was just my impression.

Also if you were to say tow a lot or live in the mountains doesn't the owner's manual recommend a tranny cooler, I'm sure I read that?
Hehe if I ever do run NOS i'd throw in Direct Port Injection NOS adjustable from 150-200hp. That would be fun, if your motor could take it ;)
boost til'bust,Oct 9 2004, 12:1 Wrote:
tdot-zx3,Oct 6 2004, 08: Wrote:The thing is .. your less likely to do something to your tranny because your not killing it with a power overload all the time.

focus' come from the factory with an external tranny cooler already.
Obviously something is still missing on the automatics since they overheat like crazy...

Im talking about the aftermarket ones that the performance automatic companies sell.... they have worked well for some automatic tranny users on focaljet..
its a real cooler, its a pretty good cooler, looks just as good as an aftermarket one. its about 4 inches tall and runs the length of the rad, so its pretty big, I would say that its the same surface area as any aftermarket cooler. The are hard to see if you are looking for it though, because it is sandwiched between the rad and the condensor.

They are not just cheap coolers, they are of the same style as the aftermarket ones.

Now really to be honest, can anyone prove that their auto trans has ever overheated? have you really monitored the TFT sensor and seen a heat over specs? I really bet you havent. Just because you have other trans concerns, it doesnt mean your trans is overheating. And the most frequent cause of a trans overheating is a part failure such as a slipping convertor, or faulty epc solenoid which causes a slipping trans. Focus' also have problems with blown valve body gaskets, and this can cause slipping trans issues.

I have never seen an overheated auto trans in a focus that wasnt caused by a failed part...and now that I think about it, the only problem that has caused the trans temp to raise above specs is a slipping torque convertor. And for the most part, I rarely see aut trans failures in focus' compaired to other ford models.