FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help Me Decide.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Dude,Sep 29 2004, 09:27 PM Wrote:well i'm not interested in a wrx i want a focus hence the reason i came here.  I have the money to buy a $28,000 fully loaded focus at the moment and just wanted to get some insight on what years of the svt are better or if they are all just the same and any problems people have had with an svt.
K, cool. I'm just sayin.....if you havent driven a WRX, take one out for a rip. Who's it gonna hurt? ;)

If you have that much to spend then really look into the other option I mentioned...

Head package from Tom + his Full turbo Kit. :blink:

SICK

:)

I think if you go with a 03 or 04 SVT, you should be ok as far as problems.

I know that the early ones had a recall to get a computer program reflash or something along those lines. Like you said though...it may be lots of problems but not major ones.
modding a car for performance is a smackload of issues. you want fairly cheap, great, daily driven realiability, and environmentally friendly, you can't go wrong with a jackson racing equipped SVT...

supa fast, supa reliable.

But if you're looking to buy new, and you're more go than show.. honestly, buy a 2005 or newer... get 150HP out of the box instead of 130, with tonnes more potential.. all in a rental car sleeper shell. and if you want a bit more show, go Mazda 3 (same go as newer focuses and should retain more resale).

If you want out of the box performance in a new vehicle that is relatively cheap, SRT-4 is a smokin' fast car.

If you're going ghetto.. get a used 2002 SVT, and turbo the bejesus out of it. and if you're going ultra ghetto, go for a used 2002 Zetec and turbo the sweet bejesus out of it.
darkpuppet,Sep 29 2004, 09:32 PM Wrote:supa fast, supa reliable.
:lol:

no
can't you just get rid of the traction control yourself, we did that with another car of ours.
Flofocus,Sep 30 2004, 01:34 AM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Sep 29 2004, 09:32 PM Wrote:supa fast, supa reliable.
:lol:

no
The only faster alternatives from a mass-distributed turbo/supercharged setup are on the SVT...

Hell, any FI on the SVT is faster than what you can do with the zetec.. the JRSC is the lowest common denominator, and smokes all zetec solutions out of the box.
The Dude,Sep 30 2004, 01:27 AM Wrote:........I have the money to buy a $28,000 fully loaded:_____________
Lets play a game.

Everyone fill in the blanks and the rule is new car only.

I'll show my usual bias

Normally aspirated 2004+ Impreza TS or RS sedan or wagon your choice*. AWD 166HP/165TQ out of the box and a couple grand left over for mods and as far as mods and HP go the stratosphere is the limit, whatever you want it is a click away.

Save more and get an '04, no change from '05 and dealers are hard up this time of year.

*as low as 23,000MSRP ('05)
flofocus did you finish you turbo build up, I am also doing a custom turbo gt28rs let me know. B) .and for the wrx the sti is faster I test drove one but they want 50G.
2001 ZTS,Sep 29 2004, 09:46 PM Wrote:
The Dude,Sep 30 2004, 01:27 AM Wrote:........I have the money to buy a $28,000 fully loaded:_____________
Lets play a game.

Everyone fill in the blanks and the rule is new car only.

I'll show my usual bias

Normally aspirated 2004+ Impreza TS or RS sedan or wagon your choice*. AWD 166HP/165TQ out of the box and a couple grand left over for mods and as far as mods and HP go the stratosphere is the limit, whatever you want it is a click away.

Save more and get an '04, no change from '05 and dealers are hard up this time of year.

*as low as 23,000MSRP ('05)
Yes and the money you save you can buy some STI stickers and an STI wing too riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... so you look cool. He wants to mod the car not be one of those people that buy a ts and make it look like a STI or WRX. Ts are for the normal folks(I.E. dont want to really mod there cars) and he obviously doesnt have the coin to buy a WRX or an STI. Sorry Ive been seeing to many fakeTIs at lately

Dude where are you getting these prices from I remember Discovery selling an SVT for 22 grand last year......new

Oh yeah get an SVT
"Look cool"???????????

I unsure of your point but remember that then again I am from a time and place when owning a Subaru was the height of un-cool. Until a couple years ago the only Subaru owners out there were Lesbians, ecentric acadmics and a few people ahead of their time.

Forget what SCC or whatever tells you. Your subie-phobia does not exist outside of yourself or your imagination. Subaru sells less than 2% of all cars sold in Canada. 99.9% of people will look at a STi/WRX/Impeza (wagon especially) and say anything more than "oh look dear a subaru, I heard they were made in Australia, that crocodile guy likes them. Apparantly they are good in snow to, they had a commercial you know?".

YOU AND NOBODY ELSE HERE CAN LIE and say if Ford made a AWD SVT Focus with 165HP/166ft-lbs) for less than $25,000 that they wouldn't be all over it. You can't lie to me, yourself or anyone here.

All I am saying is that one can save thousands get a proven engine (2.5L flat four with165/166) an engine that has been around forever ('94?), AWD and a car where mods a that are cheap and plentiful for the price of an SVT Focus.

In answer to the original query:

$28,000 new Subaru of any kind&upgrades>$28,000 new Focus of any kind &upgrades

It is the god's truth.

EDIT: lets remember that, agree or not about theory that Saab sells the base Subaru TS wagon (same engine & numbers) just rebadged as a 9-2x Aero "starting at $29,999" (befor tax, options frieght, etc), Papa can confirm and that is a screaming deal in Saab speak. The TS be it a sedan or wagon is undervalued right from the lot and compared globally, an absolute steal.
i really don't want a subaru, i want a focus, that's already decided once again i just wanted some insight on the car and the svt history not to be sold onto a car a really don't want. Subaru's are awesome car's don't get me wrong i just don't want one, almost all of my buddy's are saying buy a subaru or a lancer and put the money you save into mods but i don't want that I WANT A FORD FOCUS SVT (probably in black ;) cause the blue they have for the svt is too bright)
For the record I love the SVTF. I just like asking "what if" type questions.

Welcome!
[color= orange]Dude[/color] after all this you need to go out and buy that 2003/4 black beauty!
Go for a nice drive and let loose blow'n leaves off the road.
Stereo cranked to "BORN TO BE WILD!!"

You might want to read up on,
the new 2.3 Duratec VS. the svt in "Focus Fanatic mag." (summer isssue).

Focusguy is turning his focus into an RS .
For the record I love my svt focus. It's a blast to drive. Sure it may not be the fastest car in a straight line but it's a helluva lotta fun when on a winding road. Go ahead and take one out for a test drive....don't take my word for it. When I was shopping for cars I test drove a sentra se-r spec v, golf gti 1.8t, civic sir hatch and a celica gt-s. I found the svt focus to be superior in both performance and feature content for the $. It just feels like a tight well thought out package. And if you do want more straight line performance just get an s/c or turbo 'cause IMO everything else performance wise on the car dosen't need to be touched.
go with the focus.. don't think the 02' have major problems.. some recalls but recalls would be done already anyway.. or you can get them done if not..

If I bought my car 2 years after I would've gotten an SVT for sure.. i even want one now.. just too lazy to sell mine etc.. have plans too ;)

I would even say that my 2000 never had any real problems (besides fuel pump) but i know i am not of the majority.. lucky i guess
silver02svtf,Sep 30 2004, 05:01 AM Wrote:I found the svt focus to be superior in both performance and feature content for the $. It just feels like a tight well thought out package.
Yes it is a well tought out package but knowing Ford's track record for quality lately how long will the car stay that way?
If I were you, I'd go for the SVT Focus as well.

02 model year should be fine, never heard of any major issues, and odds are, all the fixes will most likely already be applied to the car.
coolsvt,Sep 29 2004, 09:55 PM Wrote:flofocus did you finish you turbo build up, I am also doing a custom turbo gt28rs let me know. B) .and for the wrx the sti is faster I test drove one but they want 50G.
I have all the parts but Im due for an E-test soon. Im going to wait until November and get the E-test done, then drive the car down to J&T Performance, where it can stay for the whole winter. I dont want Jay to be rushed for the job so he'll have plenty of time to get it done. Also this way we can get before & after dyno's to see what kind of power increase the Mitsu TD05 will give me.

Oh...sorry...Im waiting for a 2.5 flex....well I should pruchase it first, then wait. :lol:

Gt28rs on a SVT.......yummy. ;)

If you need any info on parts, let me know!
the used dealership beside heritage ford has an '02 silver svt for $19,995. i think you could get it for $15,000.

click here

Flofocus,Sep 29 2004, 09:18 PM Wrote:I'd hate to say it but for the price range, go look at a used WRX ;)
*thumbsup*

my thoughts exactly.
svt_rodg,Sep 30 2004, 10:41 AM Wrote:the used dealership beside heritage ford has an '02 silver svt for $19,995. i think you could get it for $15,000.
I paid $24,000 for my '02 SVTF brand new in 2002. Great car so far!

I definitely recommend the SVTF.
Pages: 1 2 3