FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Heres The Plan...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
k, i just wanted to get some opinions or advice on the setup im looking to run on my 01 auto zx3...

here it is - magnaflow cat-back, fc 65mm tb, shorty header (which is good?), iceman intake, eibach pro-kit. (hi-flo cat, flex ? ? ?)

just looking to see if you guys think this will be alright, any suggestions on parts would be great. or if anyone has experience with any of these items and cares to share what they think about them..

also, what will i be looking at roughly as to increases? or decreases (reliability-wise, heard shortys heat up and eat hoods)?

thanks guys.

01-yellow-ZX3

Depends on what you want to get outta the mods.

Describe to us your driving type, habits, what kinda mileage you put on, and if you auto-x or anything.

Might wanna look into a chip since its an autotragic?
i basically want to get more zest out of my car, a little more fun to drive, a little quicker, better handling, a nicer tone (but not really loud)......just an all out more sporty feel to it. i dont do any racing or anything like that and its my basic daily driven car, i might put around 15-20,000 km on it in a year.

i have been driving a v8 truck for the last 2 years so this is a big switch, and my other vehicle is a 6....so i want it to be able to keep up with that.

the headers are the big if right now, i am not sure if i need them, but everyone that has them has been saying good things. same goes for the TB...

my biggest concern is that i dont want to severely compromise what little reliability i do have in this car...i want to go as much as i can without causing un-needed damage..

im not a super hardcore driver, i like to get on the gas though, i would probably do it more if i had the sauce to do so. i like the kart-ish feel to the car, though i would like more acceleration and tighter handling out of it. and if need be, i would like to be able to light'm up if i have too... :lol:
01-yellow-ZX3,Sep 26 2004, 10:57 PM Wrote:Might wanna look into a chip since its an autotragic?
Ah, but one will notice, the price of gas has gone up up up again!

If I can recommend something? UDP's. Best bang for the buck mod out there. Of course my first route would be the same way I've done it: springs, dampers, tyres. Lower it a little bit with some shorter springs or coil overs, get some stiffer shocks and struts, and stickier tyres.

01-yellow-ZX3

Yes, very true about the chip, paying 91 octane gas prices sucks.

I'd also do a UDP over a header, just my 2 cents.
Auto zx3....

Intake, Full exaust, tb and udp will make for a fun car.

Oh diablo chip.. get one. Well... if you can afford gas.
01-yellow-ZX3,Sep 27 2004, 04:11 AM Wrote:I'd also do a UDP over a header, just my 2 cents.
Agree. A header is probably the most $/HP mod out there while a UDP is the least $/HP.

I have an automagic with:

-Focusport short header
-AFX UDP
-Ford Racing street cams
-Focusport stealth exhaust
-UR cam gears
-K&N drop in panel filter

and soon to be installed SVT intake.

As you see I've skipped the TB as I just don't see any need for it.

It is a very satisfying set up. I don't know the numbers but for sure I have overcome the automatic deficiency, that is what I now have is as fast (or maybe faster?) than a stock Focus with a manual.
what about stuff like plugs and plug wires ?
i am new to the whole small car world, so thats why im asking alot of simple questions....but, i should get a handle on things eventually...
thanks again.
PDW,Sep 27 2004, 03:44 AM Wrote:here it is - magnaflow cat-back, fc 65mm tb, shorty header (which is good?), iceman intake, eibach pro-kit. (hi-flo cat, flex ? ? ?)
Depends on how much $ you want to spend.
Out of your list, I will say
Cat-back - MBRP or Megnaflow
suspension - FK kit
Intake - Iceman is good but very expensive.
TB - Port the stock TB.
Header - save it for the last.

Add
better tires - Kumho super
Motor mount
Ground wire