FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Royal Purple Motor Oil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, either FULL synthetic oil IS or IS NOT better than conventional motor oil (or manufacturer's motor oil made for your vehicle). The answer can't be both. The reason why I'm venting is because wherever i go (to the shops) and ask for RP in 5w20, they ask me, "what car?" and i say, "ford focus" and they say, "you don't need that stuff. Your car only needs regular motor oil".

In my opinion, i think regular motor oil is fine as long as you change at the proper intervals, but FULL SYNTHETIC is a better motor oil to use for various reasons except for the increased price you're paying.

Anyways, when it comes to full synthetic, i like to use mobil 1 but i thought i'd try RP just to try it out (and i usually heard good things about it).

Most major centers do not carry RP, let alone RP in 5w20. So a guy in partsource recommended me to a place which is Precision Tuning Motorsports at 2901 Steeles West. He fixes only audi and vw cars but sells RP in 5w20 @ reg. price 10.99 a quart.

When i changed my oil the other day i was amused to find out the motor oil is actually PURPLE lol. I guess they added food colouring?
It's really hard to measure by feel alone without any computer diagnostics and high-tech equpiment over a long time...but i guess i'll say that the engine felt like it was running smoother and i think it is probably saving me 1 or 2 mpg of fuel efficiency or it could all be the placebo effect and its all psychological. In any case, so far i'm pleased with it.
LOL it's actually purple.

[Image: 14207157.jpg]
Ya that stuffs pretty good. I run their sychnro gear oil (or something like that) in my transmission. Maybe I got the same placebo affect but my car shifts pretty smooth :lol:
The syncromesh trans fluid works really good in the MTX-75. Its like night and day. I'm sure there are other brands that will do the same, but I can say that the RP one pretty good stuff.
I am stuck on Syntec. It has been the only oil I have put in to my Focus. But I work for Castrol. I don't have any bias. :rolleyes: :lol:

I think I may have some tech documents at work that may help on this topic. I don't believe that RP meets some important spec's in some applications.
i ran RP in my focus for a bit...it was a good oil.....but ive been running synthetic oils since day one and i can never tell a difference any more.....

p.s. I keep hearing bad things about Mobil 1 latly....something like its not "real" synthetic......either way i still run M1 in my focus
well so far, since the first oil change i have run RP in my focus, my dad runs it in his vette and my brother ran it in his suburban. personally i am behind RP by comparison to other oil because the last oil change i put in quaker full synthetic and since then, it doesnt seem to be quite as rev happy when it had to the RP in it. I also am planning on running RP in the tranny as well... hopefully help with my 3rd gear grind at redline. Theres a lot of people who have different opinions on oil and what is best, but the only way to find out is trial and error. my verdict is RP all the way. and BTW Performance Improvements sells RP for like 8.99 a quart, my price is like 7.99 haha
lol..i pay $5 a quart...and i'm behind RP all the way, been running it in every vehicle since my foci and you can notice the diff...Supposedly if you run all RP in your vehicle (oil, tranny, coolant ect.) you can gain back like 5% of your HP..just what i've been told
$5/quart? where do you buy it?
Performance Improvements in Hamilton wants $11.99/qt if you buy it by the quart or $10.99/qt if you pick up a case.
NikiterZTS,Apr 10 2009, 10:04 PM Wrote:p.s. I keep hearing bad things about Mobil 1 latly....something like its not "real" synthetic......either way i still run M1 in my focus
[right][snapback]284762[/snapback][/right]
i heard something about it being a blend like only 70% synthetic, but it cant be that bad its the factory fill for all mercedes the ZR1 and i think the gt500 too. i run it in my fofo, but idk the difference really i mean it'd have to be dyno'd for some hp gains (if any) as well as taken long-term then tear the motor apart. although that guy with that old 1987 saab that was in the news a few years ago with the 1.6million km's on it ran it, guess its not too bad lol.
in subaru world people span bearings with running Mobil 1......yea i know...weird

I run Motul only now, in engine, tranny and rear dif
The main thing to consider here is no matter what oil you use the most important thing is REGULAR MAINTENANCE. Stick to the regular service intervals, maintain you air filter (I am bad at that) John and I had a conversation about that at the meet last night. I think 1 year is a little long between cleanings on my K&N Air Filter.
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 14 2009, 09:47 AM Wrote:The main thing to consider here is no matter what oil you use the most important thing is REGULAR MAINTENANCE.  Stick to the regular service intervals, maintain you air filter (I am bad at that) John and I had a conversation about that at the meet last night.  I think 1 year is a little long between cleanings on my K&N Air Filter.
[right][snapback]284926[/snapback][/right]

when i had Volant on my Focus I cleaned it every oil change :)
If you're over-spec for your particular car, you don't run "regular" oil any more than you run a factory tune for when you're adding boost to a NA car. You run something designed to perform at the level you're performing at.

Personally, I'd want to see the proof of Mobil 1 failing. It's easy to hit a corner in a wet-sump engine, starve the engine of oil and then blame the oil. There are also numerous other reasons for the same kind of failure... all having nothing to do with the oil itself.
swear by RP. Had it in my old S12 200sx turbo. the downfall is it's rather expensive. But I did strectch the change to 7500 or about once a year :D
Iv got RP in right now, i dont feel a difference from castrol syntec or mobil 1, i only bought it cuz i got it for $8 a quart with a k and n filter for another $8.
I run Syntec since 50,000KM and now at 120,000KM the car still runs great except for some over noisy valves.
I drop the oil and clean the air filter every 4,000KM call me crazy but I push the car and it gets dirty quick, plus I know when I need one when I can tell my fuel milage going down.
Also I've been running Shell V-Power 91 since 50,000KM too.
ya i run mobil 1 on my car but will prob be switching to RP as i get a better deal for it.