FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wiper Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this before, as of very recently my wiper switch has started acting really strange...
When I press down on it (to activate the one wipe option) if I let the switch go, it doesn't complete the wipe, it just stops at the exact position wherever within the cycle that it happens to be in...so if I click it down and release immediately it only move a few inches...if I hold it till it gets to the top of the wipe and release it, it stays at the top of the wipe position without coming back down...does anyone have any ideas as to whether its the actual switch or the relay or some other electrical component??

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S I have exchanged the switch for the interval switch...its been over a year since I did the switch, but this just started about a week or two ago...
hmmm where are the electrical junkies?
Happened to me. Ford switched it when I was getting an oil change. They did for free too.
same happened to me, they said it was a relay and changed it without charge.
Its the relay seriously??
Wow, could it be that simple! I was fretting that I screwed something up with the wiper mod, but I had a feeling it was the really as the mod was stupidly simple to do, and that if I screwed that up, I prolly shouldn't have a license to sit in the drivers seat of my car let alone drive...
Does anyone know if they will freak out because of me changing the wiper switch, or should I just pick up a relay and change it myself?

P.S A big thanks to you guys for the quick replies!
yeah happend to my parents car also just as they were giving it back to ford. Looks like a common patern, they had a 2002 zx5
Happened in my car tooo.....free repair.
Lol, I don't feel so alone anymore!

So you guys figure they won't hassle me for replacing the switch myself??
They shouldn't. It's a plug & play OEM part.
Thanks for all your help guys!
I'm do for an oil change in less than 800kms so I'll get them to do it then...
Found this on Ford OASIS....

Quote:TSB 04-15-2  Loss of Intermittent Wiper or Wiper Park Function.

2002 - 2005 Focus

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of new vehicle limited warranty coverage.

Part Number: 1S4Z-14N089-AA

Part Name: Wiper Relay'
CanadaSVT,Sep 26 2004, 10:39 AM Wrote:Found this on Ford OASIS....

Quote:TSB 04-15-2  Loss of Intermittent Wiper or Wiper Park Function.

2002 - 2005 Focus

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of new vehicle limited warranty coverage.

Part Number: 1S4Z-14N089-AA

Part Name: Wiper Relay'
That's weird...I mean, the 2000s had the wiper recall. Now this?

Knock on wood the wipers haven't gone. :D
Had the same thing in my 2002, relay and wiper thing in the steering common replaced under warranty.
had the same problem on mine too a few months back.. 03-ZTW
free repair.. just a relay problem..
my rear wiper worked intermitenly, had ford look at it, turned out to be a loose wire but they replaced the motor anyway.
Speaking of wipers does anyone else suffer from "the case of the disapearing wiper fluid"? It was discussed on FJ years ago but never resolved to the best of my knowledge????????

In winter I can use a full resevoir in one trip Toronto ----> Hamilton yet in any other car I can do the same trip for days and days? In the case of other cars the resevoirs have in general been smaller than the Focus one which takes (to the best of my knowledge) almost 5 litres.

There is a leak somewhere but it is one of these vauge/hard to diagnose/pinpoint problems you hate to go to a dealer without insider info like a TSB. Any help out there?

While on the subject of wipers, another pet peeve; "the drip". Why after every sweep is there a dribble right down the centre of the windshield? Again a minor thing but an annoyance I haven't had with other cars.

Finally, most of you are getting warranty service no question asked for any model year because of the "once bitten twice burned" rule. There was a recall of MY 2000 cars because the motors was a fire risk. Now any mention of Focus wipers evokes panic and any and all repairs are done without question.