FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Snow Tires + Wheels For Svt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Chilly late-September mornings - a reminder of winter.

I spent last winter slip-sliding around with my SVT stock tires. Appalling lack of grip on snow and ice.

I need to buy a set of wheels and snow tires. Ford dealer quotes $1,600+ for a set ! Which store in Ontario (Kitchener or Toronto) offers SVT wheels and snow tires at a good price ?

I suppose I could just buy a set of snow tires and put them on the existing rims for the winter. What are good snow tires ?

I'd just get a set of winter rubber if you don't mind changing tires every fall/spring. I'm picking up a set of Michelin Pilot Alpine tires tomorrow .. from what i have read about them they have really decent wet/dry traction.... plus they come in 17's
hey i have a place where you can get 15" snows if you want to downsize for the witnter.. its 75 a tire and about 40 for the steel rim. pm me if you want to know more
i don't think you can put 15" wheels on an SVT, cause of the brakes. you could trying going to a wrecking yard and find 16" wheels from a focus and put winter tires on them.
Kalos,Sep 18 2004, 11:49 AM Wrote:Chilly late-September mornings - a  reminder of winter.

I spent last winter slip-sliding around with my SVT stock tires. Appalling lack of grip on snow and ice.

I need to buy a set of wheels and snow tires.  Ford dealer quotes $1,600+ for a set !  Which store in Ontario (Kitchener or Toronto) offers SVT wheels and snow tires at a good price ?

I suppose I could just buy a set of snow tires and put them on the existing rims for the winter. What are good snow tires ?
Your best bet would be to find some used 16 inch wheels from another Focus. The SVT cannot take wheels smaller than 16 inch due to the size of the front caliper.

I can't believe you did an entire winter on the stock summer tires! I got cold feet at the first 1 centimeter snow drop, where my car couldn't even move forward because of the snow-packed treads.

Right now, I'm on my second (and last) winter on Michelin Pilot Alpins tires (P205/50R16 IIRC). They're awesome in the dry and light snow, but they're not as effective in the deep (> 5 cm) stuff. I chose Pilot Alpins over more aggressive Winter stuff because it doesn't snow that much here and the roads are cleared quickly. I also do a lot of highway mileage.
I put Bridgestone Blizzak(Dealer recommended) on my SVTF with my stock rim. I got them for $1000 at our local Kal Tire was the cheapest included mounting and balancing.
Cheap Thrills in Milton. Cash only! 905-878-6853
Ditto (CanadaSVT)

Cheap Thrills is awesome, especially if you buy early (before the snow falls - because 'supply & demand' price changes)

I suggest calling to see when they will be getting their snowtires in (usually a couple trailer loads in the fall) Hours are a bit strange too, they're open like 4 days a week.

-Austin
I have conti extreme contacts on mine...good for summer and they behave really good on snow...check them out...
my best snow tires yet on a rwd vehicle were goodyear ultra grip ice, i may try them on my foci if they are cheap enough
FocusGuy7476,Sep 18 2004, 04:45 PM Wrote:i don't think you can put 15" wheels on an SVT, cause of the brakes. you could trying going to a wrecking yard and find 16" wheels from a focus and put winter tires on them.
we have tried 15" foci rims before and they would't fit, not sure but i don't think they fit the rear either
Alternative is to try looking for SVT Contour or 16-inch Cougar rims, in addition to used/new 16-inch Focus rims.

Cheap Thrills in Milton is probably the best route. Aside from that, you can try other retailers offering aftermarket rims.

BAT Inc. in Florida has some cheap NEW stock 16-inch rims. I think they were under $250 USD.

As for tire choices, Blizzaks are good from new to half usage. AFter that, they become an all-season tire. For "normal" uses, they are good. If you're doing any extended highway driving, be sure to go with something that has an H-speed rating. This means you'll be trading off some snow and ice traction for higher speed stability.
I bought a set of Hankook Winter Icebear's size 215/45R17 for $700 taxes and installation included. I had them mounted on my stock rims. Great performance in deep snow and slush and not too bad on dry pavement too. Bought them at mountain tire on Upper James. BTW I'd never go through a canadian winter with the stock conti's they're NOT all season tires and are dangerous in the snow.
GapBoyPCS,Sep 22 2004, 11:26 PM Wrote:Alternative is to try looking for SVT Contour or 16-inch Cougar rims, in addition to used/new 16-inch Focus rims.
Cheap Thrills in Milton is probably the best route. Aside from that, you can try other retailers offering aftermarket rims.

BAT Inc. in Florida has some cheap NEW stock 16-inch rims. I think they were under $250 USD.
One way or another, I'll be using genuine snow tires this winter. Probably means another set of rims. I've read several places that the extra width of 17" tires doesn't buy better traction, and that taller 16" tires are actually better in snow and probably cheaper than 17" tires. So I'm looking for 16" Focus-able rims - either new or in good condition, with or without useable snow tires. I would also consider 17" rims. I'm in the Kitchener/Waterloo region, and would consider driving a maximum of 100km to pick up the rims.

So, what a good 16" snow tire with the right external diameter so that the speedometer isn't off ?
Kalos,Sep 25 2004, 06:47 PM Wrote:........ I've read several places that the extra width of 17" tires doesn't buy better traction, and that taller 16" tires are actually better in snow and probably cheaper than 17" tires.
Wider is definately not better in the case of snow. You need the of skinnier tires to get through teh snow and not float over it, especially when stopping. Plus the ABS is designed to not let wheels skid which is detrimental as this prevents your front wheels from bull-dozing snow when you try to stop.

I run 185 width winter tires (Nokian Hakka 1's) and in a few inches of snow I am pretty sure I can halve the stopping distance of the stock all season 205's.

You are right 16's are definately cheaper than 17's but still not "cheap". Yokohama and Nokian both have a wide selection of excelent winter tires. If you are mostly city/highway I found Yokohama AVS winters work really well on the WRX and would be a great SVT choice too.

Not sure if the size exists but if you can find 195/55R16* winter tires by Yoko or Nokian you will rule winter.

*http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Kalos,Sep 25 2004, 02:47 PM Wrote:One way or another, I'll be using genuine snow tires this winter. Probably means another set of rims. I've read several places that the extra width of 17" tires doesn't buy better traction, and that taller 16" tires are actually better in snow and probably cheaper than 17" tires. So I'm looking for 16" Focus-able rims - either new or in good condition, with or without useable snow tires. I would also consider 17" rims. I'm in the Kitchener/Waterloo region, and would consider driving a maximum of 100km to pick up the rims.

So, what a good 16" snow tire with the right external diameter so that the speedometer isn't off ?
Thinner is better. The thinking is that your vehicle won't have to "push" through as much snow and slush with a thinner width tire, compared to a wider tire. Like you said, 17's are a bit more expensive than 16's, but the price differential depends on the tire and what you're looking for.

CTA Motorsports in Brampton deals with BAT Inc. a lot. If you were interested going with the rims I posted, you could contact Chris Wong at chris@ctamotorsports.com. I'm sure he can meet you somewhere in Mississauga near the 401.

Milton is only 72.5 km from here (Waterloo).

As for concerns about throwing off the speedometer with 16-inch rims, you won't have a problem if you stick with 205/50R16. This is the stock 16-inch size of the Focus. In terms of a brand, that's your call. It will depend on your driving. If you do LOTS of highway driving, you want a minimum of an H-rated winter tire. You'll sacrifice some snow and ice traction; however, you'll make up for it with more sidewall stability and fewer chances of melting them due to heat. If it's city driving you'll be doing, you may be able to get by with a Q-rated tire.
2001 ZTS,Sep 25 2004, 06:55 PM Wrote:Yokohama and Nokian both have a wide selection of excelent winter tires. If you are mostly city/highway I found Yokohama AVS winters work really well on the WRX and would be a great SVT choice too.
I was going to try the AVS winters. However, they don't make the 195/60R15s for my steelies :angry:

I'm going to get another set of WRs from Steelcase (half-ish worn, but H-speed rated). Nokian Tires has also introduced the RSi with the R speed rating.
GapBoyPCS,Sep 25 2004, 11:11 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Sep 25 2004, 06:55 PM Wrote:Yokohama and Nokian both have a wide selection of excelent winter tires.  If you are mostly city/highway I found Yokohama AVS winters work really well on the WRX and would be a great SVT choice too.
I was going to try the AVS winters. However, they don't make the 195/60R15s for my steelies :angry:

I'm going to get another set of WRs from Steelcase (half-ish worn, but H-speed rated). Nokian Tires has also introduced the RSi with the R speed rating.
WR's and AVS Winter are pretty much the same idea other than spead/load rating. At any rate everything I've read about Blizzaks is they are great for a while but deteriorate rapidly (layered tread compound issue). In my 20 years of winter driving and for consistant performance you have to step up. Go to:

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/index.html

http://www.yokohamatire.ca/en/defaulte.htm

Both companies have a wide range of products, all excellent. Just pick what suits your style an go baby go.

Never skip on tires.