FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Material Choice Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking of making a wood floor for my hatch in the trunk part. I want to cut out a square in the top left corner so my sub box could sit in it and not move around. I also want to have a door that I can open and access the spare tire if necessary. What material should I use to make the floor out of? Wood? What type? Thickness? Help me out guys!

01-yellow-ZX3

1/2" MDF?
01-yellow-ZX3,Sep 16 2004, 06:01 PM Wrote:1/2" MDF?
But I'm taking all things into consideration. I like the idea of a 1/2" or 3/4" depth. But I'm also worried about any water that may be spilled in my trunk say from an umbrella or such, also will MDF stand up to the test of time? I will also be covering it with either carpeting or speaker box material, but something durrable none the less. Also weight preservation is a slight issue. Keep the ideas coming.

01-yellow-ZX3

I don't think a small amount of water will hurt the mdf, especially under carpet or anything.

I made a dish mount for a friend's apartment. And it mounted to his balcony with 2 pieces of MDF. He's since moved, and reinstalled the same mount, and the MDF is still fine after a year of being out in the elements and snow etc.
umm... MDF = Compressed cardboard = sponge when wet?

Plus it's heavier than ply.

If I were you, I would make it out of 1/2" ply. No need to go 5/8 or 3/4... think about how thick the backing is now. It rests on the metal, and you've got all the support you need. You could even get away w/ 3/8 and put a second layer to mount the sub box in. So it would look like the following:

____________| |_____________| |

01-yellow-ZX3

You could also treat the MDF, but its inside a trunk, how wet can it get...

MDF doesn't act like a sponge like you'd think.

And its cheapppp. A 2X4' sheet at Rona is only $8, 4X4 is $13ish (both 1/2") and they'll cut it for free.
MDF swells like crazy if any moisture touches it's sides and it's not treated. I sell the stuff. A 4x8 sheet of MDF is gonna run you about the same as a 4x8 of ply. Unfortunately, we don't see 4x4 except in 1/4" ply
Quit screwing around with MDF and go to the lumber yard and ask for a sheet of MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD. You can get it wet al you want, it is used for subflooring for boats. I work with wood all the time and this is what you want.

I'm done here

Marine grade's good, so's pressure treated or fire-rated, but realistically, if you use a rubberbacked carpet, you can put any kinda ply
Raine,Sep 16 2004, 06:56 PM Wrote:So it would look like the following:

____________| |_____________| |
Al, I don't exactly understand what I'm looking at here!
meford4u,Sep 17 2004, 12:06 AM Wrote:Quit screwing around with MDF and go to the lumber yard and ask for a sheet of MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD. You can get it wet al you want, it is used for subflooring for boats. I work with wood all the time and this is what you want.

I'm done here
Just what I was going to say. Marine Grade is so good that it is not just used on recreational boats but commercial ships as well.