FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hesitation!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok Ford dosn't seem to care so let me talk to people who do.

2002 SE sport wagon, 2.0ltr Ztec.

2000-3500rpm, through every gear, under light acceleration the car stutters and surges, hesitates if you know what I mean. Just enough to make you mad.

While getting angry with the service manager at Colony ford in Brampton (who said it was a design fault in the engine and couldn't fix it) regarding this issue I met a nice lady with a brand new 2005 ZXW wagon, with the same problem.

We are not crazy people!

Can any one shed some light?

Or if you have the same problem let me, know I will start to make a list.

I am starting to regret buying my focus now, which I don't want to do.
Please help.
come to evans ford.

design problem with the engine....hahaaha.....your car is under warranty right?
Yep 42k one month left
welcome in here.

I am sure people here will be able to help you with your focus.

I would look into getting the DPFE and EGR valve checked. those are both sensors that are relied with exaust gas recirculation for better air and gas mileage and happen to both kinda act in the rpm range you are talking about. If everything is fine with those, have the fuel pump checked, I and lots of other poeples have had their fuel pump go bad and it can somehow start with hesitation symptomes.

so parts to remember with focuses are:

DPFE sensor (fluctuations and surging and stumble)
EGR valve (never personaly had this one, removed all on my last car)
Fuel Pump (stumbles, hesitation, no power)
Sway bar link (go pop when going slowly over bump)
Ignition barrel (key cant be removed)
TPS (throttle position sensor) can be fooled sometime and act with throttle related symptoms.
All AC compressor I saw were leaking after a year

any other parts guys???

thats the roll call, but might as well tell you from the get go, I still love my focus and I would buy it again, but it sure help to know there common faillures so you can keep an eye on thoses.

-Marc

Keep them coming.

I want to find someone who has seen this and fixed it.

Thanks.

I do love my Focus, there is just no love for Ford right now though.
do you have any mods done to the car or is it complete stock.. it could also end up being the stupidist thing to.

Have you had any recent work done in the past by the dealor? This girl at work took her focus in for a checkup and they didnt put the spark plug in all the way :lol: I have done the same myself. But this is why im asking if you had the dealor do any recent work. Every one makes mistakes..
Sounds like for DPFE for sure. Exactly the problem everyone else describes when their DPFE blows. I think the authority figures on this will be Anthony D and 2001 ZTS... one I year for those guys I believe
I have the same problem but I dont know if I should bring it in because I have changed my exhaust and intake.
boost til'bust,Sep 14 2004, 02:3 Wrote:come to evans ford.

design problem with the engine....hahaaha.....your car is under warranty right?
ha ha ha .. too funny .....
D-Dub,Sep 14 2004, 12:03 AM Wrote:I have the same problem but I dont know if I should bring it in because I have changed my exhaust and intake.
That shouldn't do s**t....some dealers however are pricks.

I have a warranty block on my car...mmmm.... I mean her car. :lol:
Paparoach,Sep 14 2004, 02:07 PM Wrote:I have a warranty block on my car...mmmm.... I mean her car. :lol:
ahhhh revenge...............a dish best served cold. ;)
2001 ZTS,Sep 14 2004, 02:17 PM Wrote:
Paparoach,Sep 14 2004, 02:07 PM Wrote:I have a warranty block on my car...mmmm.... I mean her car. :lol:
wasnt revenge, a dish best served with gravy and curd cheese??? :blink:
french_connection,Sep 14 2004, 05:23 PM Wrote:
Isn't LaCrosse some sort of Buick? :huh:
2001 ZTS,Sep 14 2004, 01:29 PM Wrote:
french_connection,Sep 14 2004, 05:23 PM Wrote:
Isn't LaCrosse some sort of Buick? :huh:
I thought it was the art of gratifying one's self? :unsure:
The Buick LaCrosse sold in the US is the Buick Allure here in Canada because (apparantely?) giving yourself LaCrosse is equivalent in Quebec to "choking one's chicken" in English Canada. Must be the hand movement/shaking simularity between having a jerk and making the sign of the Cross? Not sure, I'm not quebecois.

For the record choked chicken I do believe can come with poutine on the side and may be served hot or cold? :blink:
I'll put money on it.

It's the blasted DPFE SENSOR!!!
Did you get a recall notice for the Fuel pump?

Im not sure if it applies to a 02 model....I think it only applies to the 00-01 models.
Yeah fuel pump was 2000-2001. Besides I have been told my car is not part of the "program" so there couldn't possibly be a defective fuel pump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPFE sounds like a safe bet though.

Where is it situated under the hood?

Anyone?
its weird.. whenever i notice a new problem on my car.. seems like everyone gets it at the same time or at least someone else writes about it.. i used to have the fuel pump problem, had it fixed and works great now.. now started feeling this surge, hesitation mostly when throttle stays at the same position.. lets say most noticable.. caus i guess you should be going at the same speed when not moving your foot on the throttle.. but the car jerks..

will look those up..
BerinG,Sep 15 2004, 02:46 PM Wrote:its weird.. whenever i notice a new problem on my car.. seems like everyone gets it at the same time or at least someone else writes about it.. i used to have the fuel pump problem, had it fixed and works great now.. now started feeling this surge, hesitation mostly when throttle stays at the same position.. lets say most noticable.. caus i guess you should be going at the same speed when not moving your foot on the throttle.. but the car jerks..

will look those up..
Definately the DPFE sensor.

Hold your toe on the pedal untill you get to about 3000rpms and watch the car jerk.

Do this for a while untill it throws the CEL.

I had to make mine do it for week before the light went on for the forst time.
Pages: 1 2 3