FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Dead Svt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No I did not crash it. Got on the highway was hitting 7k in third and it just shut off. Earliest diagnosis is fuel pump. It starts kind of... Won't run for more than .5 seconds. If I hit the key on and off 10 or so times it will run for two seconds. I removed the fuel pump fuse and the car acts exactly the same as just trying to start it. I also hear a faint thunk when I turn the key on before starting. No CEL, plugs are fine and everything else is 100% I sure miss having a schrader valve on the fuel rail. Damn that freshly topped up tank is going to be heavy...

I'll be sure to check the fuel pressure before I lay out cash and start dismantling my car.
Got siphon?
I removed the fuel line at the fuel rail. Turned on the key and a little spurt comes out. turned the engine over and no more fuel comes out. I'm thinking fuel pump. My price is 338 bux. Ford says it doesn't list a different pump for the SVT. Not sure about that one. I'll call SVT to make sure. Then I'm gonna go to Ottawa Ford and see a guy I used to work with, who is also shop foreman, and nicely ask if he'll do it under warranty.
what year is your car? did you give the tank a boot or a whack to see if the pump will budge, or make noise? I wonder if it is covered under a recall check with your local dealer 1m5z 9h307 ca is a replacement pump for newer cars retail part only is 224.12
Mine is an early build '02. I have to use the older car part... I have hit the tank with a rubber mallet many times.
Sorry for asking the obvious, but did you check the fuel shut-off switch in the passenger footwell?
Yep.
Some one may have bumped your car enough to set the fuel shut off switch.
Try reseting it.
Hope it's something as simple as this !
it would be interesting to hook a scantool up to the car and see what it's seeing for fuelpressure at run and crank... that would tell you for sure.

hopefully you can get the pump replaced/problem resolved cheaply...
I hooked up the PC. I get a "no response" when I monitor fuel pressure. Now does that mean there is none or something isn't reading any...?? I think it's probably because there is none. I hooked it up to the Windstar to see what the pressure reading is like on it, That thing doesn't support fuel pressure monitoring...
if the sensor saw no response, it should be throwing a cel I think, otherwise it would be zero or greater...

how many sensors do you see in the enhanced sensor list? I see close to 50+ sensors in my scantool's listing, and sometimes the one I'm really looking for is burried in there.

ie, 'pressure at fuel rail' and 'fuel sender pressure' show up in the list, but my car shows 'pressure at fuel rail', while 'fuel sender pressure' reads null.

...or something like that.

wish I could offer more than that, but I haven't had to diagnose such problems as of yet...
Finally got around to doing some diagnosing. I used my '02 shop manual on CD and started with pinpoint tests. Many of those tests need a Ford computer to test, so I did the ones I could check with a volt meter. After several tries I decided to bypass the fuel pump driver module and run the 12v direct to the pump. Well it started and ran fine. So then I did some more tests on the FPDM and according to the manual it needed replacement. I ordered one, 118 bux. Put it in tonight... No start. Same problem. Did more testing on it and found same results. Did not make sense. then I decided to work back to the ecu and check whatever I could. I fooled around with the wiring at the fuel pressure sensor and under the purge canister. I heard the pump run!! started and ran.. Great!! lokked over the wires, checked continuity between plug and Fuel pressure sensor, all OK. with car running I disconnected the pressure sensor and still ran, disconnected the FPDM, started to die. CEL came on. 2 codes 1 for FPDM not working and one for fuel pressure sensor too high. Too high??? I tapped fuel pressure sensor and the car died instantly. I pulled the vacuum line off the sensor and it was full of fuel. Sensor = dead. I think the sensor failed inside causing a high pressure reading therefore cutting power to the pump, The sensor was stuck reading very high and kept telling the pump to stop. So I'll know on Friday if the sensor was the problem. 75 more bux. BTW the fuel pressure sensor is checked with a Ford tool, there was no volt meter test steps.
good to hear you got it running again!...more or less anyhoo...
Fixed...Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor... Ford has the wrong part listed in the latest parts DVD. With much patience I found the right part and it works...