FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fiberglass Mold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
dose anybody know how abouts to make a mold to lay fiberglass in ?

lets say i wanted to take a mold of my dash would i lay fiberglass over the dash 2-3 layers then pop it off

then from that lay carbonfiber inside the peice i pulled off

i'm not doing this any time soon i was just having some ideas
you would lay tin foil on top of the dash peice else the fiber glass is going to be a bitch or in most cases well not be cming off. The tin foil well make it so you can fiber glass rigth over the peice you want then remove it and work from there.
paseo,Sep 9 2004, 08:20 PM Wrote:try here

and here
Yeah,

But both the links you provided are for "positive molds". They aren't really molds at all, since the the material they're laying the fiberglass on top of is not removed when they're done.

What JC needs is a "negative mold". In order to do this, you start with something that has the final shape your interested in; in this case the dash. They usually call this final shape thing a plug.

You create a mold by laying up fiberglass on the plug. If the shape is complex, you may have to make the mold in pieces, otherwise you'll find that your plug is stuck inside when your done.

Before beginning to make the mold, the plug must be coated in a parting agent (beeswax, Partall). This allows you to get the plug out without damaging it or the mold. All the materials you would need for making this type of mold are available at any good fiberglass shop.

If you're interested in finding out more, you should probably pick up a book or two on the subject. I did a quick search at chapters.ca and they have a pretty good selection.
thanks i mack ...i'm on my way actually out now to pick up a few books