FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gas Mileage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are the most common reasons for poor mileage?
-Bad DPFE sensor
-dirty fuel filter
-dirty air filter
-poor tire infaltion
-pre 2002 fuel pump

to name just a few :lol:
Could be alot of things when it comes to bad fuel economy....

How old is your car? mileage?

Could be any of the below

DPFE sensor....
PCV....
Spark plugs and wires....
All the filters....
Idle level....
Under inflated tires....
Dragging brakes....
Bad alignment....
Driving style....

To name a few places.......

Are you using regular gas or premium cause if your using premium or the middle grade fuel that doesn't do anything GOOD to the car since the car is designed to run on a certain octane fuel (typical regular unless your driving a SVTF.)

2001 sedan with 97,000 on her now. i dont THINK my mileage is dropping, i was just wondering what is the most common causes of poor mileage. when should one changes the spark plugs?
hmm. maybe we should get people to post their average milage, and best milage. so you have something to compare to

2003 SVT ZX5...
best - 589km
Avg. - 465km
Worst - 378km
On my $68 tank full I get:

Best 550km
Av. 490km
Worst 435km

Oh yeah, I drive a friggin tank..........1998 F150 4X4

Who said it had to be a Focus???
Best 510
Average 480-490.

Drive er' like you stole er' :lol:
2000 ZX3

best: just over 600km
worst: 220 km

Depends on where I go, city/highway, the weather, traveling speed.

DRyanC
DRyanC,Sep 8 2004, 03:43 PM Wrote:2000 ZX3

best: just over 600km
worst: 220 km

Depends on where I go, city/highway, the weather, traveling speed.

DRyanC
I have the same car, 2000 zx3.

How in the hell did you get 600km/tank.

Drove her at 80Km/hr in 5th gear? :lol: :unsure:

I could only WISH I got good gas mileage like that. :o

Also something somebody forgot to mention is the mods can play a significant difference in the gas mileage also....
Last weekend running to Parry Sound and back I got 570km, running at 110km. If I keep it down to 100km on the 400 and then to 90 on old 69,I get around 7Li/100Km.
90Km I'm at 2000 RPM, Then 100 takes me to 2200.

DRyanC
AVG 525

Best 630

2003 ZX5

When your a student every single drop counts
:( :( 400... :( :(
damn...something wrong with mine???
maybe my right foot to heavy?? :(
Just fill 'er up and forget bout it!! How heavy is you right foot, thats my problem, it weighs bout 42 lbs i think!!! lol my car is starting to get better milage, but i average about 490 in the 2.3L, but my car i different. I can nail 550 easy but i'm too busy giving the pedal floor treatment to achieve anything better. Numbers vary for climate, auto, manual and driving style, do you baby it to speed limit or stomp on it off the lights, what mods are done to everyone's cars here????
Best for me with a full tank & my brother-in-law not taking the car out on me
several weeks in a row I've gotten 640 kms on a tank of gas highway only

Avg. 535 kms / tank with city / highway driving

Poorest. 412 kms / tank with city driving online

that's with the 5 speed, & no speed controls on my Yellow Xenon Street Edition Focus sedan.

umm the old focus, a black sport se sedan with automatic, & speed control

best was 814 kms on a tank of gas that was between some gas bar just in the north dakota state line to the middle of Montanna state, was running on fumes when I pulled in for gas.

Avg. was round the 585 - 650 kms range mixed city / highway using the speed control in mixed driving both on & off.

Worst was 489 kms, that was when the fuel filter was going near the end & when i was lead footing it & not using the speed control at all.

when the filter went in the car it was 3 years old & had 102,678 kms on the odom. when it was delt in.
i went up to a bit past perrysound last weekend too... i got the best milage i have ever got with my car and i was averaging about 140km/h got 38 mpg..... normally i'll get between 25 and 30
Quote from rubberman "averaging about 140km/h" :o :o :o

Atta boy
rubberman,Sep 10 2004, 11:50 PM Wrote:i went up to a bit past perrysound last weekend too... i got the best milage i have ever got with my car and i was averaging about 140km/h got 38 mpg..... normally i'll get between 25 and 30
Thanks for the visit prick... :P

I have made over 700kms on my old car....the stupid ION doesn't even come close and it is so slow.
Paparoach,Sep 11 2004, 07:47 AM Wrote:
rubberman,Sep 10 2004, 11:50 PM Wrote:i went up to a bit past perrysound last weekend too...  i got the best milage i have ever got with my car and i was averaging about 140km/h  got 38 mpg.....  normally i'll get between 25 and 30
Thanks for the visit prick... :P

I have made over 700kms on my old car....the stupid ION doesn't even come close and it is so slow.
ION ugh, WTF of course its a p.o.s.
High 200's is my average for all city driving in winter.

I can get low 500's if it is all highway in summer.
Flofocus,Sep 8 2004, 12:34 PM Wrote:-Bad DPFE sensor
-dirty fuel filter
-dirty air filter
-poor tire infaltion
-pre 2002 fuel pump

to name just a few  :lol:
[right][snapback]60951[/snapback][/right]

Ok...so how do you go about checking these things without having to service it and pay $$$ or is that the only way...just go into servicing and ask them to check all these parts ?

What I mean is, how would one know if any of the above listed is the cause? (tire inflation and air filter i think is fine but the others...how do i check them?)

Pages: 1 2