FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Speckled Windshield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

Has anyone else noticed their windshield becoming speckled in appearance? It seems like there is some kind of tint or other plastic layer on the outside of the windshield, and now when I am driving into the sunlight I can see thousands of little speckles. It is quite distracting.

I wonder if this is something I can get taken care of under warranty...
any ideas?

01-yellow-ZX3

Your description sounds like the tree sap all over my windshield...
01-yellow-ZX3,Sep 7 2004, 09:15 PM Wrote:Your description sounds like the tree sap all over my windshield...
Yeah... it kinda looks like tree sap, but it isn't. I never park under trees (all the ones in my neighbourhood are too young), and the windshield is perfectly clean. If I look really closely at the windshield, I can see hundreds of small chips.

:(
it's basically sandblasted thats why it does that..you must drive on the highway fairly often..if you try and bring it for warranty they will laugh at you

it happens to ALL cars....
Saftey glass is a sandwich with a plastic centre under certain light you can see a kind of morray patern. But if you can see small chips could be it was in an El-Ceap ow Body&Paint shop some time ago (or even construction sites).
Anthony is right.

It's called sandblasting.

My car is 99% highway drivin. You should see the condition of my windshield. Looks like I'm looking through a dirty piece of Saran wrap. :lol:
ANTHONYD,Sep 8 2004, 09:05 AM Wrote:Anthony is right.

It's called sandblasting.

My car is 99% highway drivin. You should see the condition of my windshield. Looks like I'm looking through a dirty piece of Saran wrap. :lol:
:lol:

Me too....90% highway driving here!
Yup 100km a day - from home in Mississauga to work in Richmond Hill and back. All on the highway. The good news is I get great gas mileage, bad news is I get a sandblasted windshield and rock chips on the hood.

boooooo :angry:

Ok, as long as it is not just me. What do they make these things out of, the softest glass they can find? heh.
I used to have that same problem with my older cars since 95 % of all my driving is highway related.

Best product to help reduce that, is coating all your windows, & lights with Rain-X in the yellow bottle. I've used it just before it was sold in Canada (since 1997) & it helps reduce the effects of sandblasting on the windows & lights. Not to mention it greatly reduces your use of using the wipers. it's really cool to see the water & bug guts trailing up your windshield & 120 kp/h :lol: (Rain-X is like 5.99 @ Wal-mart or 6 something at crappy tire)

You only have to apply the product twice a year ( spring & fall ) I'd recommend using the Rain-X washer fluid over regular washer fluid as it help keep the coating on the windshield. It's in a Yellow washer fluid bottle at crappy tire stores for like $3.59 - $ 4.99 it's well worth the money too.

As for either of these products helping fill the chips & that it's not going to do anything about that just help reduce more of it occuring.
Anyone try using an auto-bra and or deflector?
Frost__2001,Sep 9 2004, 01:43 AM Wrote:I used to have that same problem with my older cars since 95 % of all my driving is highway related.

Best product to help reduce that, is coating all your windows, & lights with Rain-X in the yellow bottle. I've used it just before it was sold in Canada (since 1997) & it helps reduce the effects of sandblasting on the windows & lights. Not to mention it greatly reduces your use of using the wipers. it's really cool to see the water & bug guts trailing up your windshield & 120 kp/h :lol: (Rain-X is like 5.99 @ Wal-mart or 6 something at crappy tire)

You only have to apply the product twice a year ( spring & fall ) I'd recommend using the Rain-X washer fluid over regular washer fluid as it help keep the coating on the windshield. It's in a Yellow washer fluid bottle at crappy tire stores for like $3.59 - $ 4.99 it's well worth the money too.

As for either of these products helping fill the chips & that it's not going to do anything about that just help reduce more of it occuring.
Rain-X is great, however, it goes through windshield wipers like toilet paper. Since I started using Rain-x, I'm replacing my wipers an average of 3 times a year.

I also use a big assed bug deflector, I know it's working because my hood is practically fllwless. ***knock on wood***
I'm still using the orginal pair of wipers that came on the 1st focus......... that's a 4 year old set. After I took off the winter wipers & put the orginal wipers that came on the yellow foci back on the car, I noticed that they were coming appart at the tips. I replaced them with the other set I kept off my black foci they still are in great shape. :)

Don't you clean (do simple maintaince) on your wipers everytime you wash your car when your detailing it Anthony? :huh:

Because I do I find it makes them last for years, it's why I never need to replace them annually or biannually. I only have two sets winter & all season, replacing the winter set in spring to all season & when the first snow falls replace the all season with the winter set. I clean them & put them away till it's time to do the change over again, I get atleast 4 - 5 years a set. :P
ANTHONYD,Sep 9 2004, 07:56 AM Wrote:Rain-X is great, however, it goes through windshield wipers like toilet paper. Since I started using Rain-x, I'm replacing my wipers an average of 3 times a year.
yo...

please explain how you are going through wipers like mad with rainX ....since you are using them 1/2 the time...if that :(
Frost__2001,Sep 10 2004, 04:32 PM Wrote:Don't you clean (do simple maintaince) on your wipers everytime you wash your car when your detailing it Anthony? :huh:
Hey, I clean my wipers every time I wash/clean my car too. My first set of wipers lasted 1.5 years.
Focused,Sep 10 2004, 09:47 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Sep 9 2004, 07:56 AM Wrote:Rain-X is great, however, it goes through windshield wipers like toilet paper. Since I started using Rain-x, I'm replacing my wipers an average of 3 times a year.
yo...

please explain how you are going through wipers like mad with rainX ....since you are using them 1/2 the time...if that :(
I don't exactly know Bro.

But i do know that since I started using this stuff on my windows, the wipers seem to preform like crap. It's straks, smudges and makes a mess when I use my washer fluid or use the wipers in the morning for the dew on the windshield.

I went through wipers way less when I wasn't using rain-x.

And how does everyone clean their wipers when washing the car to help make them last longer????

Am I missing something here? :(
newbie here

my windshield is unbearable when you driving toward sunlight, and right fog light is sandblasted too. Left fog light seems good.. my brother's 95 windstar with double of highway milage doesn't seem to have that effect on windsheld. (headlights are totaled by sandblast)
Anthony, just give the rubber blade of the wiper a god wipe every time you wash your car. Use regular soap and water that you wash your car with. It gets rid of road grime build up on your wipers, along with the bug smudge accumulation from your windshield.