FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Possibly Selling My Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The new Mustang is coming.

I will probably be buying one in the spring. The only problem is that I will have to sell my baby. I talked to one of the Ford dealers yesterday, if the car was stock I would get about $7-8000 trade-in for my 2001 Sedan. Beings that my car is far from stock I am either going to part out, or sell private. Parting out I would get alot of money, and add that to the trade-in value, would be a nice down payment, well after I pay off the rest of my loan. The other may I might go is sell the Foci private, keep the car intact, with all the spare(stock) parts. The question is what should be my asking price for the Focus when I sell it private.......Here is the mod list, give me some suggestions......
<a href='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/laidman/c271b675.jpg'>[Image: c271b675.jpg]

2001 Ford Focus SE (Sport Package)
Wings West Big Mouth Bodykit
Powder Coated SVT Rims/Tires
Euro Spec Upper Grill
Dual Halo Projector Headlights
APC Altezza Taillights
Two layer Black/Red Reflective Vinyl Tribal Flamed Graphics
SpeedHut White Faced Flamed Gauges
Complete Clarion Pro Audio Stereo System
-Head Unit with MP3 Capabilities-4x55w
-4 140w 5x7
-1000w Amp
-2 12&quot; 600w Subs in Ported Box
Ractive Strut Tower Brace
AEM Cold Air Intake
Focus Central Underdrive Pullies
Ford Racing Header
MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust
KVR Crossed Drilled Rotors/Carbon Fibre Pads(No dust)

STOCK------

Headlights, Taillights, Intake, Front Bumper, Pullies, Exhaust manifold, head unit, door speakers, upper grill, lower grill with fog lights, rims/tires, extra valve cover, unpainted/with rubber gasket.

Would it be better to part out or sell private????
About 99% of the time it's better to part out because no dealer will give you that much for your mods. Honestlt people on this board will buy your stuff assuming it's reasonably priced.
Definitely part out but it's going to be alot of work. A dealer will give you very little more for your aftermarket mods. I'd try to do a sale privately first if I were you. Your car looks good, I'm sure some kid would want it ASAP. If that falls through, part out for sure. You can definitely make back some $$$ on your parts no problem, that stuff will sell fast. Good luck! Nice choice on the new stang also.
Don't go to the dealer with your mods either, take them off when you are sure going to trade your car in. Once the dealer sees your mods he will give you what he would give you if your car didn't have any mods. Then when you want to take them off they will tell you that they quoted your car with the mods on it and thats how they want it.....

Some dealers want your car with mods, hitch is they just won't pay YOU more for them....thats what i've found in the past.

Go and look at a car on a dealership lot with mods, they will advertise the mods and push the car BECAUSE of the mods it makes the car &quot;special&quot;......
Well to sell it privately, what would be a good price. I'm really not sure. On the used car lot the 2001 Focus Sedan is going anywhere from $9,000-$11,000. I was thinking about $15,000. It does seen a little high thats why I'm not sure. Suggestions please.....Yes if the sell doesn't work, I'm sure I could get all the parts I have sold and use that for the down payment, or whatever, beings that I'm on this forum, and countless others like Focus Fanatics, the parts will go quickly, once again any help would be much appriciated
Not to be mean, but you aren't going to get close to that price for your car. If you take a look in the members forum and see the car we bought recently for $17,000 with a JRSC amoung other little toys, you would have a tough sell on your hands.

Sell the mods off the car to cheap bastards like us and then sell the car.

You have to be careful also with taking you car into lots and just trying to find out what they will offer you for the car. I don't know if ford works this way, but there are some auto companies (who will remain nameless) that once one dealer has offered you X dollars it goes into a database and every other dealer will offer you the same amount of money. Ford didn't work like this when I bought my car in 2000, but I'm not sure if they do now or not.

As everyone said the best bet is to part that car off, and then sell the car as stock as possible. Also IMHO if you are gonna sell the car the graphics you have on there should probably be taken off. I just have a feeling you might have more trouble selling with the graphics then without.
laidman,Aug 30 2004, 02:29 AM Wrote:Well to sell it privately, what would be a good price.  I'm really not sure.  On the used car lot the 2001 Focus Sedan is going anywhere from $9,000-$11,000.  I was thinking about $15,000.  It does seen a little high thats why I'm not sure.  Suggestions please.....Yes if the sell doesn't work, I'm sure I could get all the parts I have sold and use that for the down payment, or whatever, beings that I'm on this forum, and countless others like Focus Fanatics, the parts will go quickly, once again any help would be much appriciated
15,000 is pretty high for those mods.
Maybe ask for 14K but settle for 12K or 13K
How many kilometers? I'm seeing 2001 ZTS's with 60,000km selling for as little as $8600. Of course there are dealers selling them for way too much but that is their &quot;thing&quot;.

Your best bet is first selling private as is (mods on) on the off chance it may appeal to someone right away and if it doesn't sell (likely won't) part out all the mods and sell the car as close to stock as possible.

Either way consider any amount you get over $10,000 to be gravy.

If someone offered me $15,000 for mine I'd be overjoyed and we're talking about a lady driven 2001 ZTS, with automatic, leather, two sets of wheels/tires, every engine bolt on, HIDs, RS grills, Ford Europe tail lamps, blah blah.............and less than 50,000km.

The market is just flooded with these cars. There are 459 examples of 2001 Focus for sale on Ontario AutoTrader right now and there are probably thousands total if all years are considered.

You don't want to buy any car (especially a Ford) first year anyway. If it were me (and it isn't) I would keep the Focus till such time as I can truly afford the 'dream car&quot; that is to say keep the Focus till it is paid for and you have enough to put down on a new one so as not to be &quot;upside down&quot; in a car loan.

Upside down being where you owe more than resale value remebering depretiation that occurs the second you leave the dealer. By rights you should put at least 40% down.

My method is boring in it's sensibility and won't likely get you laid as much by the ladies or mad props from the guys as if you had a Mustang but there is a lot to be said for it.