FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Opinions On Tires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need new tires for my 2003 ZTS. 205/50R16 is the size currently on my ..uhghgh...firehawks

What do people recommend in the way of good all-season tires and then also if I were to do summer/winter switch what do people recommend??

Thanks
I had the Kumho Escta Supra's 712 for the summer and they were not a bad tire. Awsome price to. I switched over tot he Contential Extreme Contacts 215/35/18 and I love them. There super quiet to. They also have some winter rating on them to so if it decides to snow while im at work I can get the car home safe..
i like michelin arctic alpines, and bridgestone blizzaks for winter. gives good traction for ice and snow.

before i swapped wheels and tires out, i had some goodyear eagle gt2 which i liked for everyday driving. they are an all season tire. you might want to check out the goodyear assurance tires.
I've heard some good stuff about Fusion or Fuzion.

heard they're a good tire and pretty cheap too

i'm in the same boat too, but i need rims and rubber
SL8RZZX3,Aug 23 2004, 08:51 PM Wrote:I've heard some good stuff about Fusion or Fuzion.

Id buy bridgestone hands down for my car ;)
I did the change between the contisport contacts from continental to the contiextreme contacts...they handle good..and are also good on snow...
dont know for real..I've heard that conti's are not that good..but for my experience...thumbs up!
The thing people forget is that all season tires give you decent performance all year round. They're not exceptionally good in the summer/rain and neither in the winter/snow. I personally run two sets of tires, summer and winter, but for those who choose not to, I recommend Yokohama, Bridgestone, Kumho. What you gotta remember is that when driving the only thing that connects you to the road is 4 palm sized patches of tire tread.

If money wasn't that big of an issue, I would buy summer tires for your 16" rims and get a set of steelies with some snow tires for the winter. I also remember a news story saying something about the possibility of an insurance discount to those who use winter tires. I can't see it happening though.
redsvtfocus,Aug 23 2004, 08:34 PM Wrote:I did the change between the contisport contacts from continental to the contiextreme contacts...they handle good..and are also good on snow...
dont know for real..I've heard that conti's are not that good..but for my experience...thumbs up!
The ContiExtreme Contacts have awsome reveiwes on alot of sites. The one reason why i got them and plus from word of mouth.. Parada's are a nice tire to :)
Kool_ZX3,Aug 24 2004, 03:19 AM Wrote:
SL8RZZX3,Aug 23 2004, 08:51 PM Wrote:I've heard some good stuff about Fusion or Fuzion.

Id buy bridgestone hands down for my car ;)
I'm running the Fusions. I think they are a great all around tire. Far grippier than the stock continentals on svt... rain is fine, snow is unknown.

Even some guys from Toyo told me the Fusion is the best bang for buck right now. It has a double compound tread - I think it's a harder compound through the center of the tread and softer on the outter tread for performance.

I'm very pleased, nice feel/sensation to the road too. ;)
Highly recommend two sets of tires. As for brands Pirelli sure ain't what they used to be. My Bridgestone RE92's on the WRX are not good tires at all. By recomendation is:

Summer: Yokohama
Winter: Yokohama or Nokian

EDIT:

Tires I have recently spent some time with:

Focus summer: Firestone Firehawks (suck)
Foucs winter: Nokian Hakka 1 (increadible!)

WRX summer: Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (merley OK)
WRX winter: Yokohama AVS winter (excellent)

Old Subaru summer: Yokohama Avid (very good)
Old Subaru winter: Yokohama Guardex 600 (excellent but discontinued)
I have Yoko Guardex 720s for winter insane.....nice tires.
2001 ZTS,Aug 24 2004, 12:39 PM Wrote:Highly recommend two sets of tires.
obviously the way to go if you can afford it. ;)
Well when I had to get tires on the last car I went with coopper tires form a local tires discounter here in Brampton, I got them installed just before the snow flew two years ago on the last foci.

I Can say for an all season tire they were Fantasic in the snow & on the black ice. Durring the summer you could still feel the meatlyness of the tires & how grippy they were in the corners at high speeds. For 4 tires is only cost just over $ 430.00 & that's installed, balanced & the old tires removed & recycled.

I can give directions to the Tire Discounter here in Brampton, Ontario if anyone wants them.
that sounds good to me...can you post the address?? :)
for the price, I wouldnt buy any other tire than KUMHO 712's

I drove on those since few years and dont have much complain beside the fact they get a bit more slippery at cold weather (in a bad way where they hooked but break loose quite quickly and it always freak me out at 7am in october in curves with oncomming Trucks...). maybe its my driving... :lol:

talk to rubberman
Directions to get to the Tire discounter here in brampton from the 410

401 to 410 north, exit off at bovaird road. (the last exit before the 410 ends) come to the lights at the exit ramp & turn left. Follow the road till you pass Wal-Mart's plaza at the corner of hwy 10 (main street / hurontario) it's about 6 lights down. Follow Bovaird thru the intersection past the Dermac Nissan to the next set of traffic lights. Rona will be on the south side of the street same side as Nissan, turn right onto Gillingham Rd. north. Turn left into the first driveway into the strip plaza pass the first little building that sells house hold things, then before the next building turn left again, turn right & your in front of the store it's called Tire Discounter.

From 401 & Hwy 10 / Hurontario

Exit off the 401 head north on Hurontario / HWY 10, it takes a while to get up to the Bovaird / HWY 7 intersection, you have to pass, darry, the 407, steels ave, queen street, williams parkway. Then the set of light before Bovaird is Gillingham drive, you can turn left onto it to follow it around to the bovaird intersection. At traffic lights on Gillingham rd. you'll see Rona on your right. go thru the intersection & then Turn left into the first driveway into the strip plaza pass the first little building that sells house hold things, then before the next building turn left again, turn right & your in front of the store it's called Tire Discounter.
Anyone have a favourite higher (not ultra high) all season or summer only tire that does really well in wet weather and is decent in dry?

Tire noise in unimportant, I have snow tires and as for wear I'd want to get 5 summers/50,000km out of any potential purchase.
after a week and half and 600Km with the Khumo 712's , I have to agree with Mark. Excellent bang for buck performance. :D

was raining quote a bit here this past week-end, so i had the chance to really test them out. They're awsome tires.
i have been selling alot of the Falken GRB FK-451 tires to alot of my customers. they are an awsome tire and come with a really nice price. really smooth, minimal to no road noise, GREAT summer grip! i always have my customers call me up and let me know what they think after the first few thousand KMs and i have yet to get a complaint. most people buying them are in the price point where they canot afford the step up to a Bridgestone/toyo/Pirelli performance tire. most of them were running things like kumho 712s or MX, Yoki ES100s, Goodyear GS-1s, Dunlop FM901, etc and everyone has said they were a nice improvement for summer driving. they are fantastic in the wet which is one of the reason i am replacing my tired 712s with them soon for my street tires.

the Yoki ES100s are great tires as are the Kumho MX.

for winter, Blizzacks or Alpins are what i would suggest.
i run my summer tires year round.... beauty of living in vancouver, it snows here one day a year and it's usually gone before the end of the next! :D
plus i don't drive my car when it shows.
I just bought the 2005 ST, and that comes with Pirelli all season..any good?
Pages: 1 2