FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Focus Avoids Global Platform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Focus avoids global platform
Cost, potential quality glitches are behind decision

By Amy Wilson
Automotive News / August 16, 2004

Focus: Will stay on U.S. platform

DETROIT — Although Ford Motor Co. wants to develop more cars and trucks from global platforms, it’s making an exception for the next-generation Ford Focus.

When the re-engineered Focus is introduced to the United States in 2007, it will not share mechanicals with the C1 version of the Focus sold in Europe. Instead, Ford will save money by keeping the U.S. version on its current C170 platform, suppliers say. Ford passed on a chance to move the compact to a global platform developed in Europe for the 2005 model year. The Mazda3, European Focus, and Volvo S40 and V50 all ride on the new platform, called C1.

The higher cost of C1 parts and the risk of quality problems with a new platform explain the company’s decision to stick with a C170-based Focus.

Europe can support a higher-cost small-car platform. But in North America, the Focus is an entry-level car with much smaller profit margins.

Suppliers say Ford is worried about quality glitches after the botched launch of the current North American Focus.

Phil Martens, Ford group vice president for North America product creation, confirmed that the Focus will not use the C1 platform. “At this time, we’re not going to put C1 in North America. But over time, what you are going to see is a migration” of components, Martens said.

For example, four-cylinder engines being used for C1 models are being introduced in the North American Focus.

Martens wouldn’t comment further on the Escape, another reasonable candidate for the C1 platform. But suppliers say the next-generation Escape, probably for the 2008 model year, will continue to ride on an updated version of its current platform.
Old news :P This was already hitting the fan last year when the 2004s were being churned out from Hermosillo.

It also explains why there's no more SVT <_<
GapBoyPCS,Aug 18 2004, 08:46 PM Wrote:Old news :P This was already hitting the fan last year when the 2004s were being churned out from Hermosillo.

It also explains why there's no more SVT <_<
you know everything Gap<a href='http://lamc.ca/phpBB2/images/smiles/bis.gif'>[Image: bis.gif]</a>
You watch, the Focus will be the 21st Century version of the Cavalier. They'll be churning them out 20 years from now. :lol:
I think we should look at the positive side, there will be less of a chance of recalls on the North American focus, they probaly ironed out all the bugs by now.
paolo,Aug 19 2004, 11:46 AM Wrote:I think we should look at the positive side, there will be less of a chance of recalls on the North American focus, they probaly ironed out all the bugs by now.
:lol:

Youd sure f uckin hope so!!

Yeah the focus is done like dinner look at the cavalier its been out for so long and it still has no respect. I wont buy another focus again if the car hasnt changed, Im a fan of change.
Flofocus,Aug 19 2004, 10:47 AM Wrote:
paolo,Aug 19 2004, 11:46 AM Wrote:I think we should look at the positive side, there will be less of a chance of recalls on the North American focus, they probaly ironed out all the bugs by now.

Youd sure f uckin hope so!!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

D-Dub,Aug 19 2004, 08:11 PM Wrote:Yeah the focus is done like dinner look at the cavalier its been out for so long and it still has no respect. I wont buy another focus again if the car hasnt changed, Im a fan of change.
There will never be another cavalier unless the new cobalt stays around for 20 years without a change :lol: