FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: A Look Back At The Eighties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: fordmustang1983-1993.jpg]

The Ford Mustang is turning 45 years old in just a few short weeks, and to celebrate, Ford is taking a look back on its pony cars of the past. The most recent focus is on the 1983-1993 models, the era that Fox Body enthusiasts look back on with much fondness. While it's apparent just how far Ford has come since then, the Mustangs of the mid 1980's through the early 1990's still represented affordable performance with the 5.0L V8 and models like the SVO, LX, and the mighty SVT Cobra and Cobra R (235 horsepower!!!) in 1993. Follow the jump to read about the evolution of the Mustang, how Ford's pony car almost became front wheel drive, and how the Special Vehicle Team was formed.

Pony Cars
I still get shivers when I hop in my '84 GT... I love that car. :wub:

It looks very similar to the '83 above, except its a sunroof car with the front air dam and aero spoiler, all red with the only black being around the headlights and the hood stripe.

I can't wait til it's out of storage... :D
I like how they conviently "forget" the fact that the Fox body platform actually debuted in '78 (As a '79 model) though considering the poor build quality of that first run of those cars, I probably would like tio bury that memory too :P

Dad had bought a used '79 with the 3.8L V6 in the early eighties that was cursed by a voodoo witch doctor I swear... electrics by Jaguar :ph34r: In the three years he owned it every electrical component inside the car went south, in some cases repeatedly, though the engine itself ran okay, as long as it was bone dry outside.

NefCanuck
the '87 is still one of my faves....
The 1986 and 1987 Mustangs were two of my all-time faves. I'd pick one up if I had somewhere dry and safe to keep it as I reworked it to my exact specs.

You know, S/Ced, 400ish HP, LSD 9" rear end, 4.10 gears, 275-series tires, full suspension, etc. :ph34r:
I loved the bubble back Merc's. I think it is an '84. My personal fav.
I remember when my parents has an 81 mustang, was a good car but a serious bitch to get parts for it, even in the late 80's. Although, the 66' mustang is still running great.
Here it is, an 86 Mercury Capri RS.

[Image: 53912107.capripassside.jpg]

And check out the Mustang SVO in the background.
I'd give my left nut for an SVO... In Light Charcoal Metallic, 1986 Comp Prep model to be exact...

There is an '86 Capri RS by my parents house in silver with black accents, rotting away in a field. Under 50,000 kms on it too...
reldridge,Apr 6 2009, 01:06 PM Wrote:I'd give my left nut for an SVO... In Light Charcoal Metallic, 1986 Comp Prep model to be exact...

There is an '86 Capri RS by my parents house in silver with black accents, rotting away in a field. Under 50,000 kms on it too...
[right][snapback]284391[/snapback][/right]

You just made me cry. Poor car. :(
Love the foxbodies!!!

It was my first standard car I learned on, my neighbour I guess took me under his wing, and taught me the skills to driving standard, THEN , introduced me to Derek Hanson, the owner of the now-defunct DECH motorsports. AT that time (in the early 90's) DECH motorsports you could say was the equivalent in Canada to Saleen in the U.S.

With DECH, I went along on the DECH-days @ Shannonville recetrack, learned and got my SOLO1 SOLO2, conquered apexing, and all the necessary skills it took to drive that track. Also, Derek being the head instructor for BMW/Ferrari of Ontario, I got to ride along some of the most beautiful cars on the track at that time.

My neighbour was good friends with Derek. The picture you see is of the number #2 Dech mustang that they produced/equipped. Which you could order your specific "DECH" car thhrough a couple of Ford dealerships in Toronto .

Fun and woundrous time's I even got to see Jay Leno's Ford Festiva "SHO-Gun" when it was on tour in North America.

The car still exists, and is still in great condition. My neighbours son now owns the vehicle, BUT when the day comes for him to sell it, they know I'll be there with my chequebook lol, to re-claim the 1st car I fell in love with.

[Image: n797755051_158014_8163.jpg]

A little info on DECH:
http://www.geocities.com/dechman/DECH/history.html
http://www.geocities.com/dechman/DECH/art1a.jpg

I'll never forget my '87 LX 5.0...so many memories.
91 Hatch Back, I should have never sold it.
My Dad had a '83 GT when I was 16 and he actually trusted me with it, but I was usuallyl driving my Mum's '82 LX with the straight 6.

I had a '88 5.0 but it couldn't handle me and fell apart over 5 years.

Of all the Fox Stangs 1982 GT is still my favourite. Only like 156 hp but it was very fast for the time.
reldridge,Apr 6 2009, 02:06 PM Wrote:I'd give my left nut for an SVO... In Light Charcoal Metallic, 1986 Comp Prep model to be exact...
[right][snapback]284391[/snapback][/right]

Quote: svo's 4 sale

gray early 85 cloth interior 96000kms $6500

white 86 cloth interior 133000 kms $8500

silver 86 this is an option delete car only 83 came this way it has 25000 miles $11500, The option delete is a comp prep. This cp has leather apparently only 12 exist

Saw these forsale. Want details? Send me a pm.
My first car was a 86 Capri RS Charcoal.

When I got tired of that 8 months later, I bought the SVO Mustang. Burnt the clutch out of it the first weekend I had it. Damn brother learning to drive standard on my new car.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that these cars were through my dad at Ford. Got a new one every 8500kms or so. Cost me $100 a month for insurance, a fill up once a week and just about any car I wanted.

Those were the days.
bluetoy,Apr 9 2009, 10:11 PM Wrote:Saw these forsale. Want details? Send me a pm.
[right][snapback]284714[/snapback][/right]

If I had some money, and storage space... :) I'll stick with fixing up my '84 GT for now...
meford4u,Apr 9 2009, 09:40 PM Wrote:My first car was a 86 Capri RS Charcoal.

When I got tired of that 8 months later, I bought the SVO Mustang.  Burnt the clutch out of it the first weekend I had it.  Damn brother learning to drive standard on my new car.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that these cars were through my dad at Ford.  Got a new one every 8500kms or so.  Cost me $100 a month for insurance, a fill up once a week and just about any car I wanted.

Those were the days.
[right][snapback]284715[/snapback][/right]

I hate you even more now. JK
I've noticed a LOT of Fox bodies around lately since reading this thread for the first time.
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 10 2009, 07:45 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Apr 9 2009, 09:40 PM Wrote:My first car was a 86 Capri RS Charcoal.

When I got tired of that 8 months later, I bought the SVO Mustang.  Burnt the clutch out of it the first weekend I had it.  Damn brother learning to drive standard on my new car.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that these cars were through my dad at Ford.  Got a new one every 8500kms or so.  Cost me $100 a month for insurance, a fill up once a week and just about any car I wanted.

Those were the days.
[right][snapback]284715[/snapback][/right]

I hate you even more now. JK
[right][snapback]284724[/snapback][/right]

[Image: dechcapri.gif]
Pages: 1 2