FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Help: Car Alarms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since my bro's car got broken into last week, I've been debating on whether or not to get an alarm. I've been looking around but I don't understand the technical wording these websites have. All I want is an alarm that will still give me power locks, remote trunk release, and the alarm feature. I don't want remote start but any other features are a bonus! Let me know what you guys recommend!
Hey malby wassup?
Personally I do recommend on Compustar. It’s the only thing that is worth getting. I have one and I’m getting my GF one this weekend as well. It has everything that you can imagine and it has the longest range possible right now. It has remote start, 2 way pager and turbo cool down timer. Anything and everything that you can imagine it has. But that is only my opinion. I personally think for 1000 it’s worth it. ohh yeah before rest of you guy bitch about how much more I paid. It’s bc it has windows up+down and other stuff installed as well and plus the guy who does it (12V audio) is the best. He does not butcher your car when he installs things.
As for things you want for an alarm system, well it should come with back up siren and battery just incase. Most of the time freaking kids break into cars just to screw around. But if someone really wants your car they can get it regardless what kind of alarm system you have. If they want it, they will get it. So mind as well just stick to something simple like Viper or Clifford. Hope this helps,

Lates Mo
our cars have an engine imobilizer, which is good if they try and steal ur car they wont go anywhere, but if they break into the focus, it doesnt do very much. You might want to look at Clifford. I had a clifford alarm system in my VW Rabbit and it was really good, there were a few attempts, but no one ever broke into our rabbit. As for Compustar, its a very good alarm right now. It's being sold no where near what MO quoted. They are selling them for $350, and that is the one with the long range too. My friend Ryan (Mp3wizard) had one put into his Jetta and hes really happy about it.
I have the Compustar and love it. We also put one on my son's zx3.
I must chime in and say I love my compustar as well. It has:

Remote locks
Remote engine start (to warm it up on those cold winter mornings)
Remote trunk opening
insane range
Turbo timer
Dual shock sensor (takes two good hits to set it off)

Lots more. I paid just over 700 installed for my compustar plus you lose one key. But it is well worth it.

Mmmm.. i heart my compustar... i have the fm version... from what i hear the ss frequency version is buggy
lol .. an alarm is an alarm ...

Compustar alarms arnt going to do anything more then a walmart 39.99 alarm when people try to steal your car / steal your stuff. Its funny to know that you guys that paid 700 bucks for your alarm, "stock" it can be disabled in 5 seconds.

Want your car to be safe.....

1. Backup sirens. You need them. Not one, but 2. Running on different lines.
2. Starter kill / Relay kill ... Self explanitory.
3. Change bolts on steering column / ecu bolts to wierd hex like bolts that theifs dont carry around.
4. Be smart, dont make your car a target.
5. If your car is really worth it, and is easy easy to steal, ie honda/acura, then boomerang / satelite tracking is a must.

Thats my list for right now.
best theft protection EVAR:

having a sleeper car.

bling = target

It's another reason why I'd never put an expensive sound system in my car.

In addition to Dan's list...isn't it reasonably easy to hook up a fuel shut off? I know my mom's uncle used to do that back in the day. He hooked it up to his car cigarette lighter...took the lighter out when he parked it...no lighter = no fuel = thief ain't getting far :D
Fuel shut off would basically be under my starter kill / relay kill thing..

You could tap into anything .. or more then 1 thing if need be.
well the only reason why i went with Compustar was that i needed the range. its amazing. i dont care for the alarm part. its not like im going to go outside and fight the guy who is breaking into my car. i love the fact i could be on the 15 floor of a concrete building and have my car warm and ready when i get off work. that was the whole point of me getting the alarm. but then i'm like whatever mind as well get all the fun stuff with it. which was windows up+ windows Down. now there is a new one on the market that allows you to control two different cars with one remote. sort of works out for me bc gf is getting the other one this saturday.
Get a nasty nasty dog....another great car alarm.

Flo has one.... ;)

Our just get Reberto to sit in your car he will scare off almost everyone :lol:
tdot-zx3,Aug 5 2004, 03:25 AM Wrote:Want your car to be safe.....

1. Backup sirens. You need them. Not one, but 2. Running on different lines.
2. Starter kill / Relay kill ... Self explanitory.
3. Change bolts on steering column / ecu bolts to wierd hex like bolts that theifs dont carry around.
4. Be smart, dont make your car a target.
5. If your car is really worth it, and is easy easy to steal, ie honda/acura, then boomerang / satelite tracking is a must.

Thats my list for right now.
The only problem is that I think thieves would rather steal what's inside my car than the car itself. The car is worth s**t, but the audio, sunglasses, cd's, floormats, etc aren't!
Thats where the multiple sirens come into play.

*sigh*.. ok listen.

When people steal cars they basically know everything about you. They watch you. They find your pattern. They know what kind of security you have.

The more stuff you can shock them with the better.

Basically..... Your window is broken into somehow.. using a techniques i wont post on here....

Then the hood is pop'd and your siren is pulled. 99% of the time this nulls your entire alarm system. This is done with 2 people. Always 2 people. No one ever steals a car alone. This makes it very quick. If your good, 2 seconds of alarm siren and itll be off.

Sirens are 99% of the time placed in certain areas of certain cars. Theives know this as well.

So you have to play smart. Dont put your first siren in the easiest spot to get to, and secondly, put backup sirens, THEY CANT SEE.

If a thief cant see it and disable it in seconds, chances are they will leave. Their not going to bumble around with your stereo while a siren is going off. Grab and runs yes if you have tons of s**t just sitting there, but nothing complex.

In the end... Stuff in your car is always vonerable. Theres no solid way of saving your subs or stuff unless you find a way to make them un-removable from your car.
Marction,Aug 5 2004, 06:34 PM Wrote:best theft protection EVAR:

having a sleeper car.

bling = target
Best theft protection ever is what I do. Each night I park the Focus in front of the WRX. It would be impossible to get the WRX out of my driveway without going to the time and trouble of stealing the Focus first! :lol:

For the record neither car has "ICE" and I don't leave valuables inside anyway. Also Focus sedans are probably a lesser target than hatches and my WRX wagon is less a target than a WRX sedan.

Both cars have "the club" for no reason other than just increasing the level of difficulty slightly. A minor thing but also falling under the category of everything little thing you can do to make life more difficult for potential theives is the fact that the Focus should have a locking glove box.

Everyone should know that Boomerang type systems are GPS based and require line of sight to a satellite. They are muted in steel containers and buildings. If thieves target a car and suspects it is boomerang equipped then there is a transport truck with a ramp and container pre-positioned around the corner waiting. As Dan implied, these types of thefts are planned well in advance.
Boomerang works on cell phone freqz.

And the club deters the peddy theives, but wont stop anyone who knows what there doing.
tdot-zx3,Aug 6 2004, 05:08 PM Wrote:And the club deters the peddy theives, but wont stop anyone who knows what there doing.
For Sale: One set of mustange seats.....slightly used :lol: