FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wheel Bearing Recall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just returned from a trip to ontario ( from nova scotia). on the way to ontario, i had to get my right wheel bearing replaced. the thing is i couldnt get it done at a dealer, i had to go a another shop, it didnt bother me because this shop (coast tire) is a excellent repair center. my question is, is their a recall out on that wheel bearing? and if so, can i bring the receipt to the dealer and will they reinburse(?) me?
Time to clarify the issue:

There was a safety recall on the early 2000 Focus. For some remaining 2000 and 2001 models, there was an "customer service campaign" on the part. In plain English, Ford offered additional warranty on the rear wheel bearing. It's short of a recall. (Scary how I just noticed I know the guy who signed the campaign letters.)

If your Focus was a 2001, then you may or may not be covered. You'll have to go into a Ford dealer and get them to verify the information in their database. The VIN will tell them when your car was built, and will also tell them whether your vehicle was affected by this campaign. If your car was bought used, you could be in a difficult position. The previous owner may have already done the campaign/recall. If so, you will have to pay for the repair. If you are the original owner and had repaired this part before, you will have to pay. If your 2001 was built after a specific date noted by Ford, you may not be eligible.

As for being covered by a third party replacement, I'm not entirely sure you will be covered. Since the wheel bearing was a "campaign", it would be treated similar to a bumper-to-bumper warranty item. That means, you would have had to go to the dealer to get it fixed. Due to your circumstances, there may be some leeway. It would have to depend on the repair shop's documentation and such, and various decisions from Ford of Canada and its Warranty Claims department.

Best to check with your local Ford dealership, and call into Customer Service at 1-800-565-FORD.
I get a squeeky sound just driving around.. specially after driving a little while (not just getting out of the driveway).. and not sure if its the suspension (caus i know it does a annoying sound) since its coming from front.. but doesn't sound like the bearing..

what did yours do before you got it repaired?
dannyq,Jul 18 2004, 12:41 AM Wrote:I just returned from a trip to ontario ( from nova scotia). on the way to ontario, i had to get my right wheel bearing replaced. the thing is i couldnt get it done at a dealer, i had to go a another shop, it didnt bother me because this shop (coast tire) is a excellent repair center. my question is, is their a recall out on that wheel bearing? and if so, can i bring the receipt to the dealer and will they reinburse(?) me?
this is so stupid. Ford sells the bearing for around 35 Each. and then the labour is going to be so much because its hard labour. i had this done to my gf's car this weekend and this is what happened.
1- buy the bearing at dealer cost. it was around 30Each i think.
2- take the car to my mechanic and pay 120 for labour
3- took almost 2 hrs to get the bloody tires and drums out bc they previous owner never touched the rear wheels. so now we need nuts and centre hub.
4 drove back to the dealer and bought the nuts. OPPS dealer does not sell the Centre Hub. its part of a package.

so the moral of the story is that
go to the dealer and buy the rear drums. it comes with new centre hub, the nuts and the freaking bearing. it takes less time to put it on and less headace.
the cost will be around 99 per drum.

we end up paying about the same for both bearings which was about 200. not bad but it was a lot of headaces.

as for Ford giving anything back to you.......goodluck.
BerinG,Jul 19 2004, 01:28 PM Wrote:I get a squeeky sound just driving around.. specially after driving a little while (not just getting out of the driveway).. and not sure if its the suspension (caus i know it does a annoying sound) since its coming from front.. but doesn't sound like the bearing..

Well, i actually brang the car in because it was vibrating (had to buy two new rear tires) , the guy took it for a rest drive to see where it was vibrating and he noticed right away that it was really loud ( noise coming formthe right side of the car ) and he knew it was the wheel bearing). if you can, put the focus up on a lift and put your hand on the case for the wheel bearing ( i'm not good with cars) if its bad, you should feel grinding. that squeeky sound you are talking about could be your tire rod ( if it doe s it whenever you hit a bump) . keep us informed to what it was. :D
dannyq,Jul 19 2004, 12:06 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Jul 19 2004, 01:28 PM Wrote:I get a squeeky sound just driving around.. specially after driving a little while (not just getting out of the driveway).. and not sure if its the suspension (caus i know it does a annoying sound) since its coming from front.. but doesn't sound like the bearing..

Well, i actually brang the car in because it was vibrating (had to buy two new rear tires) , the guy took it for a rest drive to see where it was vibrating and he noticed right away that it was really loud ( noise coming formthe right side of the car ) and he knew it was the wheel bearing). if you can, put the focus up on a lift and put your hand on the case for the wheel bearing ( i'm not good with cars) if its bad, you should feel grinding. that squeeky sound you are talking about could be your tire rod ( if it doe s it whenever you hit a bump) . keep us informed to what it was. :D
i was just about to say.. it is mostly when i hit bumps.. and when i stop (not always).. so i was guessing it was the suspension doing its stuff.. heard about the squeaking in the rear when you change the suspension but now its coming from the front.. passanger side (pretty sure)
BerinG,Jul 19 2004, 02:55 PM Wrote:
dannyq,Jul 19 2004, 12:06 PM Wrote:

i was just about to say.. it is mostly when i hit bumps.. and when i stop (not always).. so i was guessing it was the suspension doing its stuff.. heard about the squeaking in the rear when you change the suspension but now its coming from the front.. passanger side (pretty sure)
Berin, you might wanna check out TSB 03-20-2

Front end noise: http://www.ofoc.ca/garage/index.html#TSB

never heard about those TSBs.. does ford send those out periodicly (spelling?)

might be tranny fluid.. only one i can see.. don't know about the horn, not the tires
BerinG,Jul 19 2004, 03:04 PM Wrote:never heard about those TSBs.. does ford send those out periodicly (spelling?)

might be tranny fluid.. only one i can see.. don't know about the horn, not the tires
I dont think they send these out by mail

Read the first one at the top of the page....I think this is your problem.
Flofocus,Jul 19 2004, 03:06 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Jul 19 2004, 03:04 PM Wrote:never heard about those TSBs.. does ford send those out periodicly (spelling?)

oh sorry.. i thought they were all related hehehe.. i thought the following ones were possible "causes" for the first one..

one well how do i find it? it seems like that.. but where to get the info..

where do those guys find the info?
BerinG,Jul 19 2004, 03:12 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jul 19 2004, 03:06 PM Wrote:

oh sorry.. i thought they were all related hehehe.. i thought the following ones were possible "causes" for the first one..

one well how do i find it? it seems like that.. but where to get the info..

where do those guys find the info?
k found it here:
http://www.ofoc.ca/newsletter/2004spring.html

none of it will be covered since all parts mentioned aren't stock.. except for the bushing
BerinG,Jul 19 2004, 03:14 PM Wrote:none of it will be covered since all parts mentioned aren't stock.. except for the bushing
:lol:

They said the same thing to me when I showed up at the couter with this TSB in my hand....So I gave him the front Polyurethane bushings and said "Well make it offical, no Ford parts at all" :D

EDIT: I have no clue how Richard gets this TSB info... :huh: Seems like he gets it faster than some Ford Delaerships do, cux when I went with this one at the begniing of spring they had no clue about it.
mo_focus,Jul 19 2004, 06:35 AM Wrote:so the moral of the story is that
go to the dealer and buy the rear drums. it comes with new centre hub, the nuts and the freaking bearing. it takes less time to put it on and less headace.
the cost will be around 99 per drum.
Got a part number for the drums with the bearings and hubs pre-installed?