FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gearbox Windage Noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ummm ok, I'm wondering if I'm not the only person with the 2000-2001 foci with a noisy driveline. When I say noisy, I mean the car makes this nasty windage noise that sounds like a friggin tractor gearbox going down the road. The car has made that sound since I got it last year, but lately it sounds like it's getting worse, and does it in 4 gears now at low RPM or when the car is under load in those gears. It's as though the car is labouring or something. Anyone else here know what I'm talking about/know what it is, and what I can/can't do about it? With my stereo going, and an aftermarket exhaust being put on the car in the next few weeks, I know I myself won't hear it in the car, but I don't want other people around the car to hear it outside and think it's a peice of crap car or somethin'...lol!
the tractor noise you hear is your engine I think its the lifters making the noise.

I have the same noise and I have 45000km on it and its a 2003
D-Dub,Jul 16 2004, 10:12 PM Wrote:the tractor noise you hear is your engine I think its the lifters making the noise.
I believe it is gearbox chatter, as it doesn't make the noise while in neutral.
Yeah, mine does the same thing .... and it got worse after I put a short-shifter in it (probably because some of rubber damping material got moved allowing more noise into the cab). I think it's just the "nature of the beast". All gears make noise and in the Focus it seems to resonate at low RPM under load. If you've got more than 50K on your transmission oil, try changing it to see if it gets a little quieter... it won't go away though.
try some Syn engine oil(mobil 1 or Cantire) and put some good tranny oil in(like GM synchromesh). It will help.
arskiker,Jul 16 2004, 06:56 PM Wrote:
D-Dub,Jul 16 2004, 10: Wrote:the tractor noise you hear is your engine I think its the lifters making the noise.
I believe it is gearbox chatter, as it doesn't make the noise while in neutral.
I think he means when hes accelertating it happends
Yeah, D-dub is right...it makes that noise while accelerating...unless you are at 3/4-full throttle, or doing over 2500 rpm, the tranny makes that noise in 3, sometimes 4 gears. I friggin hate it with a passion...it makes the car sound terrible, and would love to at least reduce it somehow...