FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Stock Airbox...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone here know where the baffle is located in the stock airbox, and not only that, but do you know if it's easy to remove? I noticed that in the FRPP catalogue that on the dyno results page, for a lot of the parts they added, they kept the stock airbox, but removed the baffle. I've been told this might flow a bit better if you are using a K&N or fram airhog filter, and that it also creates a short ram intake type sound too.

Anyone got thoughts or suggestions?
its bullshit and its actually the little box connected to the big airbox, its on the right side of the airbox if I remember.
Its easy to remove. Its between the airbox and the driver side fender. Its got a slanted top on it.

As for performance, I hardly believe you will notice a difference. And as for sound it DOES change the sound, but you will have to be beside a focus that has one and one that doesn't to notice the change, its slight, but evident when comparing.
Well, I just took the baffle off, and took the car on a little drive, shifting at about 4800 in the first 2 gears...the car sounds kinda like it's got a short ram on it now under 3/4-full throttle, and the throttle response is actually slightly crisper feeling...man it sounds awesome with that thing pulled off! What's also cool, is that it's below the air filter, so nothing big is gonna get into the intake. I guess I'll just wanna put it back on when I'm into heavey rain weather conditions. Geeze, for the 30 seconds it took to take it off the airbox, the sound the car makes now was worth trying it out! :ph34r:
I took mine off and added an 18" length of 2" flex heater hose from Napa bent over the washer fluid bracket to down behind the left headlight where there is a little cooler air entering. I Don't think that there is a big proformance increase but it looks and sounds cool. :rolleyes:
Drivesthebeast,Jul 16 2004, 11:11 PM Wrote:I guess I'll just wanna put it back on when I'm into heavey rain weather conditions. Geeze, for the 30 seconds it took to take it off the airbox, the sound the car makes now was worth trying it out! :ph34r:
Don't live life too close to the edge man....
Drivesthebeast,Jul 16 2004, 11:11 PM Wrote:Well, I just took the baffle off, and took the car on a little drive, shifting at about 4800 in the first 2 gears...the car sounds kinda like it's got a short ram on it now under 3/4-full throttle, and the throttle response is actually slightly crisper feeling...man it sounds awesome with that thing pulled off! What's also cool, is that it's below the air filter, so nothing big is gonna get into the intake. I guess I'll just wanna put it back on when I'm into heavey rain weather conditions. Geeze, for the 30 seconds it took to take it off the airbox, the sound the car makes now was worth trying it out! :ph34r:
Dood.

Don't kid yourself man. The resonator makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE IN THE PREFORMANCE OF YOUR ENGINE!!! sorry to tell you.

The only thing the resonator does is makes the engine a tiny bit quieter under load.
I took off my resonator a few years back, it sounded nice, but then I noticed on hot summer days, it sucked in a lot of hot air into the intake, and the car was sluggish as hell, so I put it back, and it was fine. I wasnt really crasy about the noise either.
I wasn't expecting it to make the car faster or anything...I was only curious to see what would happen if I removed it. It makes an obvious short ram sound under hard throttle...almost sounds like a early 90's 2.1L Honda Prelude engine... The novelty of the change in sound is already wearing off, and it actually sounds crappy on the highway above 120 km/h. I'm gonna reinstall it and just wait until I have an exhaust system put on the car which will sound hella better anyways.
when I used to use my stock airbox, I cut out giant holes in the bottom of the airbox for more air. I seemed to run better 1/4 mile times then with the ghetto home made short ram I am using now, and it seemed to rev smoother.