FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brake Pads - When To Change?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

My front brake pads seem to have about 1/4" left on them... how low can they get before I need to change them? I know on my 00 Focus they changed them at 30K, and I am at 37K on my 03 now so I figure they might be due soon.

You must have an auto.....because most people with a manual tranny have a lot longer life out of their pads.

Are you servicing your brakes? That will make them last longer as well.
Yeah, auto here. Servicing? Well I don't do anything to them myself, but I go in to Ford every 5K for whatever maintenance they say I need. I don't THINK they have done anything to the brakes.... what should they have done?

So is 1/4" ok? I have no idea how much is left on the back.
xappie,Jul 13 2004, 08:43 AM Wrote:Yeah, auto here. Servicing? Well I don't do anything to them myself, but I go in to Ford every 5K for whatever maintenance they say I need. I don't THINK they have done anything to the brakes.... what should they have done?

So is 1/4" ok? I have no idea how much is left on the back.
Servicing generally means they inspect the pad and rotor to make sure there is no irregular wear. If there is they will machine the rotor or sand down the pad.

I wouldn't wait too much longer....but you can last a little longer.

Shoes last forever so I wouldn't be worried about your rears quite yet.
Hey Xappie I need new brakes too. Lemme know when you're buying yours, we'll see if we can get a gb together or something. Damned Autos...
Sounds good... what kind of brakes were you thinking of getting? I mostly want something that wont create as much dust and won't burn up the stock rotors.

Probably looking about 1 month from now, if I can last that long. :)
buy the pads and rotors and swap em out when you have some spare time on the weekend.. its better than waiting until they are ground down to the metal and you are forced to take em to a dealer to fix or not be able to drive your car while waiting for parts

1/4" left is not too bad considering there isn't much for than 1/2" of pad material on a brand new pad..

i changed mine when they were 1/8" left personally..
I don't know how to change the pads/rotors. :( I actually DID do it once, about 10 years ago on my Mazda GLC - but I don't think I remember enough to attempt it now.
Honestly probably the easiest thing and cost saving repair on your car.....

Very simple....

Remove Pads
Remove Caliper (ensure cylinder is all the way in)
Remove Rotor

Reserve procedure...for the install

Oh round the edges of the pads a bit...to stop it from squeelling (sp?)

That is it.....
I dunno - it would probably be worth the hassle to take it some place. I don't even own jack-stands so I would have to buy those too.

xappie,Jul 14 2004, 09:18 AM Wrote:I dunno - it would probably be worth the hassle to take it some place. I don't even own jack-stands so I would have to buy those too.
If you ever plan on getting jack stands this is the perfect time and if you keep your eyes open Canadian Tire usually have some good specials with hydraulic jacks and jack stands. You will thank yourself for buying them later on.....because the money you will save will definately pay for them. ;)
Paparoach,Jul 14 2004, 03:44 PM Wrote:
xappie,Jul 14 2004, 09:18 AM Wrote:I dunno - it would probably be worth the hassle to take it some place.  I don't even own jack-stands so I would have to buy those too.
If you ever plan on getting jack stands this is the perfect time and if you keep your eyes open Canadian Tire usually have some good specials with hydraulic jacks and jack stands. You will thank yourself for buying them later on.....because the money you will save will definately pay for them. ;)
Not to mention tire rotation/changes. My jack is paid for many times over.
Yep I picked up a dolly/Stand/Stoppe rkit at Price club for $65....great for oil changes, Tire rotations, and brake changes....also hels when doing yor own mods.

Like VERYBODY has said here....get one, it will pay for itself after your first oil change & Tire rotation.
Sometimes just sometimes I feel smart.... :lol:
Automatics eat brake bads like dinner.

For mainly highway driving, I'm averaging 60K per set.

I ended up getting Ford OEM replacements, and they come with a lifetime warranty on the pads. I'm going to get my rear shoes replaced soon. They're wearing down a bit, but that's after 166+K on them. First set too!

As for servicing, Ford cleans the brake components with brake cleaner and some use a high-heat pressurized washing system. on the rotors and drums.

As for the tire jack, it does pay for itself. The $50 I paid for my set has come in useful for rotations and winter/summer swaps.
I'm at 42K, on my first set of pads, with plenty of pad material still left. Once they wear out, I'm going to be switching them to a better pad which give off less brake dust.