FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Engine Break In
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been running mostly highway since I picked up the car on Friday. Odo reads 750kms now. I was keeping the speed mobile (100km/h to 140km/h) the whole time so it wouldn't rev at a constant rpm. I punched it good 5 times probably not letting it get much over 6k rpm. I was thinking 750kms is good enough but I will likely wait til after 1000kms to start beating on her ;) Just curious... how did you guys break in your engines?
(always mixed reviews)

Also, the car is surging a little at low rpm when cold... any thoughts?
I had my car's engine broke-in by the first week of owning it. I went on a nice trip to the cottage upnorth, 4 hours of highway driving, I made sure to vary the engine speed between 100 to 140 km/hr just like you have been doing, and thats all you need to do. If u want, you can do your first oil change before the recommended interval, but its not needed. I waited till almost 5k to do mine.
Shifted at 6900 RPM every shift.....havent stopped yet. :D :P
carey, have the ford tech make sure you are running the latest ecu update. YRFO

as far as breaking in period and manner, I always beleived in warming up to operating temp gently, then beat on it nicely and softly, but rev it hard a few time to seat the rings properly while the honing from the company is still there, once the honing is gone, you are fuct if your ring dont sit well.

I came to this conclusion after talking about breaking periods for over 14 years to many people and reading many sources.

(I used to rebuild my top end on my bike every 2 to 3 weeks back in the motocross days.) so I broke in a lot... ;)

its truely my opinion, I drive them like I stole them. B)

-Marc
Most dealerships and such will just tell you that "on Modern engines they do not need to be broken in" yadda yadda yadda... ECU-Wise, it leans from day one... by the time your car has been through QC Testing at the factory, driven on and off trains and trucks, in my professional opinion as a Layman, that should be enough run-time for the Engine for any mechanical break-in.

Justa FYI... Why does your car have so many KM's on it when its fresh out of the Factory?

The Crown-Vic IP comes with 2km out of the crate before it even goes into the car...(I am guessing these are from diagnostics from the supplier) its driven off the line onto the dyno where its driven some more... then driven around various QC stations before being shipped outside. Where its driven some more, then onto a Train (or Truck) then taken off the Train, perhaps onto another one... or onto a truck, then another truck or two... then? Finally off the truck to your Dealership. I don't know if the PDI requires a spin around the block but that would add a few more.

My Car? Straight from Hermisillo to me? 17km on the Odometer

anyways back on track... You can't hurt your newfound baby by breaking it in... The ECU is always learning so you can't retard it by babying it... just give 'er a couple of times to let your new car she ain't gonna be Granny'd :)
french_connection,Jul 5 2004, 02:28 PM Wrote:carey, have the ford tech make sure you are running the latest ecu update. YRFO
yeah, gonna check into that this week... and it is hitting at about 5100rpm so chances are good I have that done.

Seems we all see pretty much the same way for breaking in. The car had 170kms on it. I know that it came from Eastway in St Thomas, but the rest of the mileage is unknown.

So about the surging, anyone have this? It surges at low speed/low rpm when driving cold... as temp comes up it dissappears.
I actually waited until my first oil change was complete before even trying out the dual stage intake switchover..... :D
I had that problem and was taken care of by some programming updates but mines an 03. You would think that Ford would have solved that problem in the 04. I also had my fuel pump replaced due to spuddering with less than half a tank.
All the well known engine builders will tell you that you don't need to "break in" the engine.

The most important thing is getting the engine tuned right but since it's factory...no problem with that.

I would be more worried about breaking in the Clutch then the engine.

I would take it easy for the first 500-1000km's just to make sure the clutch is broken in properly.

The engine is no worries.

Beat the bastard up.
lol hard to beat her up without leaning on the clutch wouldn't you say? <_<

I know there are very mixed reviews on breaking in, but surely it can't hurt to keep the rpms wandering for a little while. She'll be beat on soon enough :ph34r:
When I got my Focus 2 weeks ago the Odometer read 183km. It had to be driven from Guelph to Burlington to get to me. The car runs great and the odd time I'll punch it and shift at 6900rpm to give the motor a good workout. The car is absolutly a blast tho. Cant get enough of it.
Burnin21,Jul 5 2004, 06:03 PM Wrote:The car is absolutly a blast tho. Cant get enough of it.
HERE HERE, I do know what you mean :D
when I installed my brand new crate motor from ford, I broke it in on the way to cayuga, then I raced it all day.

true storey.

now shes seen about 10,000kms....and still running fine.
I agree. Drive it like you always will. You'd be surprised the punishment the car went through at the factory. From the time it left the line and made it through toe-in, rolls test, final inspection, and then out in the yard and onto the train, you can bet our Mexican cousins broke your drivetrain in for you :D