FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Towing Trailer With The Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

i just have some questions in regards to towing a trailer with the focus. i know the manual says 1000Ibs, i just want to know if anyone has towed anything with their cars yet. i could be getting a tent trailer soon and i want to hook it up to the Gf's 2001 Zts. the trailer is 10Ft.

here is a similar trailer that i'm refering to

<a href='http://home.interlog.com/~apache/viking.jpg'>[Image: viking.jpg]</a>
That is definately not a good idea with our car. You will right around the 1000lbs mark unloaded. So once you start putting in your supplies....well you know.

Here is a link:

http://www.starcraftrv.com/starcraft_foldi...ifications.html
When it says &quot;Base dry hitch weight 204lbs&quot; is that the &quot;weight&quot; the car would see? :unsure:
if the thing you are towing &gt; 1000lb.. no good.. if thing you are towing &lt; 1000lb maybe you can do it

but i don;t think 130hp is enough to tow.. a focus can barely get itself moving without a tow.
Jay, I think that's the downward load applied directly at the ball... correct me if I'm wrong on that.

There should always be a downward load on the ball (hitch) right otherwise the tendency would be to lift the rear of the towing vehicle... been der done dat lol do not over load the rear of the trailer lol

I think naz is probably right though either way.
Yeah Jay that is tongue weight....
BrooksZX3,Jul 5 2004, 06:22 PM Wrote:Jay, I think that's the downward load applied directly at the ball... correct me if I'm wrong on that.

There should always be a downward load on the ball (hitch) right otherwise the tendency would be to lift the rear of the towing vehicle... been der done dat lol do not over load the rear of the trailer lol
VS

[QUOTE] Yeah Jay that is tongue weight....

well I guess I coulda just said that too lol nice one pappa :P
I towed a trailer about that weight in a focus zts, it was fine until you had to start moving up a hill from a dead stop. Even driving when it was windy really pulled the car around.

There is no question that it can do it, but for how long until something gives. We traded in the focus and got a v6 escape, that does the job much nicer without having to worry.
hardk0re/s2,Jul 5 2004, 10:00 PM Wrote:I towed a trailer about that weight in a focus zts, it was fine until you had to start moving up a hill from a dead stop. Even driving when it was windy really pulled the car around.

There is no question that it can do it, but for how long until something gives. We traded in the focus and got a v6 escape, that does the job much nicer without having to worry.
I am sure you can do it...but like you said until what gives and at what costs.

Good post :)
if you own that trailer and plan on towing it a lot, its probably not a bad idea to pick up a truck of some sort.. the big motors and 4WD really show what they are made for when towing stuff.. i've seen an old chevy baja with a rebuilt 4.2L motor for 500usd..
Hey, you said you were hooking up the trailer to the girlfiends car. Well that changes everything.
What the f..k.. Go ahead

It aint your car

HAHAHAHAHA
LOL :lol:

Just remember someones gotta drive her around when the cars in the shop :P
haha. funny guys, well thanks for all the replies. i guess it is best not to tow anything with the focus. we are going to put a hold on that project for now. my car payments finish by august. maybe i can get some sort of a SUV for that purpose. bc if i do we also have a speed boat that we can carry around as well.

thanks guys

lates Mo