FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Jba Header Vs. Obx Header
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I'm back again needing some for advice for my 04' ZX5, I'm wondering if I should go with a JBA Shorty header or a OBX Header that doesn't delete the catalyic. Or maybe I should go with neither. Whats your opinions?
**Keep in mind I still need to keep the catalyic, although I will buy a high performance one**

From the info. I have seen out there for headers, OBX does not make a header that many Focus owners jump for joy about the quality. There are several of the members that have JBA headers that are starting to show there wear with the loss of the ceramic coating, but nothing like splitting weld seams as I have heard happening to OBX headers.
There are several members, including myself, who are in the process of updating our JBA headers to a race header, so you may want to travel down the used route to save a few bucks. I think I remember papa chiming up that he wanted to sell his JBA as well.

I would go either JBA or Ford Racing. Probably your best bet. One lesson I learn when doing cars is do it right the first time. Tis the reason I am going onto my 5th intake and went through 3 exahust systems LOL

Those are the only two I would go with and get a high flow cat or do ORP. Persoanlly I would do a full fc or focus sport 4-2-1 race header. They seem to cost less then the shorties and produce more power. If your worried abotut noice. Nothing a 36" resonator can fix..
thabrat,Jun 25 2004, 02:17 AM Wrote:Persoanlly I would do a full fc or focus sport 4-2-1 race header. They seem to cost less then the shorties and produce more power. If your worried abotut noice. Nothing a 36" resonator can fix..
You are learning..... :lol:
Shorty headers don't really make power due to the precat, so the only other reason to have one is for looks. Personally I would go with a JBA because they are quite affordable. THe Hedman unit is a nice bit of kit, but pricey. The Edelbrock is probably the nicest shorty out there, but also VERY expensive. If it's power you're after, you'll have to go 4-2-1 and loose the cat, or go with a bargain used deal and get a superchip or a diablo to make up for the sub-par power gains. If you can tell me where you are located I can put you in contact with a retailer in your area who can get the parts you need.

Gumby,Jun 25 2004, 09:05 AM Wrote:get a superchip or a diablo to make up for the sub-par power gains.
Chips don't make any power.....useless.
Sure they do, just not as much as forced induction or cams, but there is power to be had from proper timing and A/F ratios. Not a ton, but what do you want for $200?
Gumby,Jun 25 2004, 12:03 PM Wrote:Sure they do, just not as much as forced induction or cams, but there is power to be had from proper timing and A/F ratios. Not a ton, but what do you want for $200?
That is what I am saying don't waste your money unless you have a Auto.
It's only a waste of time if you plan to go forced induction. For those of us who are going N/A, they are a reasonably priced way to tune. Not to metion most can be reprogrammed to suit a new set of cams down the road, or a new intake manifold, for example.

Gumby,Jun 25 2004, 12:17 PM Wrote:It's only a waste of time if you plan to go forced induction. For those of us who are going N/A, they are a reasonably priced way to tune. Not to metion most can be reprogrammed to suit a new set of cams down the road, or a new intake manifold, for example.
Well you air fuel shouldn't change that much with just cams and gears unless you start doing head work and changing your injectors and Maf.

I think I'll go with the Ford Racing header, It sounds pretty cool. I'm gonna run that with a Highflow cat (dont know which one yet) and a Borla Catback. Should sound pretty cool.......thanks for your help again, and by the way I live 45 minutes away from Toronto for you guys that wanted to know!