FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rolling Backwards On Hill
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure about wtf is going on here, but a few times today and a little yesterday I was stopped in my parking garage on one of the ramps and let my foot of the brake. I freaked out because my car acted like a standard in neutral and just rolled backwards.

Is this somewhat normal, or would anybody think this means bad things to come?
It reminds me of beeing at Timmies once, some guy in front of me, kept putting his car in reverse, going back like 2 feet then going forward....just like what happens with a 5-speed...the only problems are his reverse lights were going on, and we were on flat ground...lol...he must have thought it was sooooooooo cool!

:ph34r:

Back to you now! :D
my acclaim used to do that on really steep slopes..... has it ever happened before.... acutally come to think of it. my moms grand prix does the same.
"acted like a standard in neutral"

Is it an automatic? If its in park and its doing this .. thats not good....
Mine rolls back down on my driveway while I'm waiting for the garage to open if I have it in drive and my foot off the brake/gas.
It happens in automagics from time to time when the grade exceeds the transmission's ability to hold the car in place. You're technically always in gear to some extent (obviously) in Drive/OD. That's why you roll forward at idle with your foot off the brake.

All it means (hopefully) is that your car doesn't have the power at idle to pull up that particular grade. If you gave it a bit of gas, it should have rolled up without issue. If it didn't engage and roll right away, THEN you've got problems.
That's interesting cuz in my Accent I am excited to go under the bridge on Broad street and Dewdney. I have an auto and it's the only time i can take my foot off the brake as the incline is just perfect to not roll back but to not creep ahead. That incline is pretty steep for those not in Regina by the way. I'd guess around a 30 degree incline or so. The focus must have a much different 1st gear than my Accent. I've never experienced this.
yeah, that'll do it in an Automatic but... do it for too long and you start to smell that burning smell :)

Autotragic no likey
No I don't see that being a problem. It's worse to try to do brake torques... now that's a good way to fvck up your tranny. And hey it's under warranty if anything goes wrong. I don't do it for an hour at a time. Just the once a week for 2 mins while i don't time the lights well.

I was just pointing out that my car doesn't roll back at all. I should try it at the North Albert McD's. The entrance off ring road is hella steep. Then again i don't care... <_<