FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Toy Just Came In
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
UPS just stopped by and after paying $150 COD for duty and brokerage, I was able to take my baby inside, and grab some pics...

&lt;a href='http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v246/darkpuppet/uego.jpg'&gt;<a href='http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v246/darkpuppet/uego.jpg'>[Image: uego.jpg]</a>&lt;/a&gt;

now just waiting on my boost guage (please hurry steeda!!!), and my ride'll be pimpin some very stealthy gauges.

man, this thing is TINY... I was at a minimum expecting a little piggyback unit, but the harness for the O2 sensor goes straight into the back of this little badboy... I gots lots of stuff to pass to the engine bay now.
This might be a really stupid newby question, but I am going to ask anyway.

Why is that guage only starting at 11 for the air/fuel mixture?
I know that at stock we run in the 12-13 area, but if you are trying to gain more horsepower and lean out the a/f, then aren't you starting to drop it into the 10's and even single digets?

Please be gentle gentlemen on your response.

A very nice looking guage puppet. Good purchase.

The air/fuel ratio at stoichiometric (sp?), where all the fuel and air are equally spent is 14.65. As you gain more air, and it gets leaner, your number will go higher (more air).

As you go richer, the number will dip. Typicallay, folks aim for 12.1-12.5 at WOT throughout the RPM range.. that's a happy number to be at, while at partial throttle, the car will always try to be at 14.65 or just slightly leaner.

If the air/fuel drops below 10, the car will be blowing black smoke because it's running so rich.. and anything below 9:1, the car will barely run, so the numbers aren't quite so important that low.
My car will run at 9.0 at 10.0 it will make almost 50HP more than at 9.0 at 10.5 it will shoot a 2 foot flame out the exhaust if you hit the rev limiter. At 12.5 it made 137 HP more than at 9.0, but that was also using new plugs and 5psi more boost.

Nice piece of kit puppet I just can't believe you’re only just now getting a boost gauge. :lol:
Euro Ford Fan,Jun 21 2004, 07:23 PM Wrote:Nice piece of kit puppet I just can't believe you’re only just now getting a boost gauge. :lol:
SHhhhhhhh

well, this is all money I hadn't planned on spending.... guess if I wasn't going to spend money, I might as well not spend it on a boost gauge.
Yes My A/F guage is in to. thats what i did for my holidays at the cottage....made a custom pod for it out of fiberglass....I'll try and take some pics tonight. How do you hook it up though?
that looks like a real good gauge. mine is kinda useless, but looks pretty.
Flofocus,Jun 21 2004, 07:35 PM Wrote:Yes My A/F guage is in to. thats what i did for my holidays at the cottage....made a custom pod for it out of fiberglass....I'll try and take some pics tonight. How do you hook it up though?
The a/f gauge I bought is a wideband O2 gauge... to hook it up I hook up ground, 12V switched power (with 10A fuse), and if I want, the blue wire to a db9 rs232 cable for datalogging. Of course this is a lot different than the normal, run of the mill narrowband O2 guages you find out there (according to the autometer website).

Then there's the 6 pin wire going to the included wideband O2 sensor...

The only thing is routing the cable through the firewall..this thing needs a good 1&quot;-1.5&quot; worth of hole.. would have been nice if AEM included a mid-way connector to reduce all the threading/cutting required... I might be cutting and re-splicing this thing to clean up the install a bit.

but overall it's a bit more simple in design than I thought it would be... it even has an analog 5V out for datalogging/standalone ECUs.

The only downside is that it doesn't appear to have a dimmer for nighttime use, so I hope it's not absolutely blinding at night.
thatds the one I am getting
DOOD, how much was that thing?

I need to break down and buy a Wideband and I really like this one.

Let me know please.
prostreetonline.com is selling them for 439.99USD

which comes out to 600.15 canadian + $155 brokerage/duty (thanks UPS!)

so the total is $755.15.. which is nearly $50 cheaper than the total cost I've been quoted in Canada, and prostreet keeps them in stock.

not to rag on Canadian shops, but why buy canadian when I can get stuff quicker and cheaper thru the US (using the most expensive route available to me)?
darkpuppet,Jun 22 2004, 09:04 AM Wrote:prostreetonline.com is selling them for 439.99USD

which comes out to 600.15 canadian + $155 brokerage/duty (thanks UPS!)

so the total is $755.15.. which is nearly $50 cheaper than the total cost I've been quoted in Canada, and prostreet keeps them in stock.

not to rag on Canadian shops, but why buy canadian when I can get stuff quicker and cheaper thru the US (using the most expensive route available to me)?
I can vouch for that.....I had a two week lead time at best :(
Hmm, cuz there was another wideband I could of had, 600$ locally, in stock, and it uses the cheaper LSU sensor...the only thing I hate about the AEM is apparently you can only buy the replacement sensor from them BASTARDS.

BTW...lend that to me for a week....;)

lol
haha.. yeah, unfortunately, I'm planning on installing it this weekend..

I wont deny that there are cheaper wideband guages out there.. only that the AEM one is a trick little piece of hardware that Blends in nicely as a guage-type...

I also noticed that there's a photo-resistor in the face (see little dot in pic)... so it's probably and auto-dimming gauge which is nice to see.

The replacement sensors are indeed pricey, but are you sure they're AEM proprietary? I know the sensor is a Bosch unit, but not sure if the calibration resistor is AEM proprietary...otherwise, might be able to get Bosch sensors for replacements.
$755 holy fack My LM1 only cost me $420. Sure it's not as pretty but I only need to use it every once in a while.

Does yours have data logging??
Euro Ford Fan,Jun 22 2004, 02:19 PM Wrote:$755 holy fack My LM1 only cost me $420.&nbsp; Sure it's not as pretty but I only need to use it every once in a while.

it has a serial output.. so I could datalog with my choice of equipment. I'll probably wire it up to my pocket PC in due time.

granted, it's a very expensive unit, .. and you pay a premium for AEM, but it's my little bit of different, let me enjoy it :P

[edit]BUWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! has anyone tried entering r i c e in a post lately? [/edit]
quick question.. what's a good swtiched 12v power for this little badboy?

It should be a pretty high-load circuit if possible, and only come on when the key is on 'run'.

any thoughts/suggestions?
Euro Ford Fan,Jun 22 2004, 02:19 PM Wrote:$755 holy fack My LM1 only cost me $420. Sure it's not as pretty but I only need to use it every once in a while.

Where can I buy that? :D
only 420$ for the LM-1 ?! Is that canadian? Where did you get it? That's one I'd like to try.. and if its that cheap, may just buy me one of those
I got it thought a group buy in March, order 200 units at once and get a great price. :lol: That was shipped to my mailbox in Buffalo and I just went over and picked it up.

You can buy them for between $365 and $385 (USD) all day long.

I tested it's accuracy against the Tag motorpsorts Dyno wideband and it was off .2 or less. It was positioned about 8&quot; further down the down pipe as well so that could account for the difference.

To say the least I was very very impressed.
Pages: 1 2