FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Pulled A Real Bonehead Maneuver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I let Wal-Mart do my first oil change. They "supposedly" put in Pennzoil 5W20, which is what the SPI needs. They put on a Pennzoil filter, which is what they said they'd do.

I drove the 6 blocks from Wal-Mart to my buddy's house, pulled up in his narrow driveway, and heard a "tick tick tick" coming from the motor. Not convinced there was anything wrong, I blipped the throttle... TICK TICK TICK. Ok, now I'm paranoid.

I drove from his house to a light 2 blocks away. The ticking stopped. I drove home and blipped the throttle again. No ticking. Hmmm.

This morning, I started the car, and it started well. No ticking. I drove to work, parked next to my boss's Vibe. Blipped the throttle, TICK TICK TICK.

Ooook. I called Sunset Ford and told them I had a weird noise coming from the engine and that it might be valvetrain related. They've scheduled me for 1:00PM.

I called Wal-Mart and supposedly spoke with a manager in change of the automotive department. He said they used the right weight of oil, and that nothing was noted as being wrong. EXACTLY. There was no f***ing noise coming from the engine before it got there. I blipped the engine before I shut down in their service lot because I love hearing the engine's note. I just like the SPI, alright??!

He gets testy with me and tells me it's not their fault. I told him, just short of yelling, that it was going in to Sunset for diagnostics and inspection. If they so much as find ANYTHING related to the oil change, they're toast. I also have a powertrain warranty with Sunset, so either way, it's not coming from my pocket.

Damn, this sucks tho. I love that little car. This better not dam up my travel plans for July. :angry:
Oil change and ticking...unless they really fuked things up...which I can't see.

I would say it is a coincedence. ;)
Well, I had the oil re-changed at my dealer, and the noise is still there. Not any worse, but it's not better either.

It goes back in first thing tomorrow. They're ripping apart the motor, and I was told to bring the receipt from Wal-Mart. Also, they saved the oil from the earlier change (1 day old!) and they're going to analyze it at the same time as they're analyzing the motor.

It's either covered under my warranty, or they're going after Wal-Mart after they do the work. They're also calling Ford (head office) when they get the analysis done, for whatever reason.

I'm severely pissed now!

But, on the bright side... I get a new motor or rebuilt anyways at 60K :blink:
Like I said before....nuttin to do with Walmart. Highly doubt it.

Ford will try and say it is...so it will become a customer pay. <_<
Paparoach,Jun 21 2004, 02:39 PM Wrote:Like I said before....nuttin to do with Walmart. Highly doubt it.

Ford will try and say it is...so it will become a customer pay. <_<
^^^what he said
i didn't hear it obviously, but most motors do make ticking sounds when they are running.. and being next to things like cars and walls make it sound a lot louder.. are you sure its not something that was there before and now you notice because you drive with the windows down?

i really can't see how an oil change could have caused this though.. unless they forgot to put in oil or their dropped something when they were filling up the oil
mabey they dropped a wrench in your motor :blink: :ph34r:
Well, apparently they think it's the bottom end. It's only been JUST 4 months, and just over 4000KMs, so it's not abuse on my end. I've dipped into the powerband more than once, but I don't do full-throttle launches 24/7, or hold 1st gear and scream around all day. It IS my daily driver, after all.

As for whether it was there or not Naz, well... I don't wanna sound like I'm boasting, but I've been diagnosing cars by ear since I was 12 and learned to do it from my Dad.(I'm 26 now). I could be quite wrong about the valvetrain location, but I do know it wasn't there before.

C'mon, after owning my leaky truck for over a year, I STILL check under the Focus for oil/tranny leaks on a weekly basis. I'm that paranoid.

Yet, you may be right. This may be an existing problem that might have been highlighted by the oil change for some perverse reason. I have a powertrain warranty on the Focus, so I'll wait and see what the dealer says. If it can be attributed to Wal-Mart, they're going after them for the bill for f***ing over my car. If it's not, then it's covered by the warranty anyways. Either way, I win.

It's just really, REALLY damn annoying. That and we're supposed to be going out East in July. I always get paranoid around vacations. :ph34r:
i have my fingers crossed for you man.. i never call it a 'win' until its cash in hand or bill in hand showing zero dollars due...

big co's always seem to have some way of gauging the customer..

:(
I just think it's funny when people say they never step on it hard and baby it all the time..

It reminds me of my Focus...it never saw an easy day in it's life! ;)

WOOT! That was a damn good car!
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 21 2004, 10:51 PM Wrote:If it can be attributed to Wal-Mart, they're going after them for the bill for f***ing over my car. If it's not, then it's covered by the warranty anyways. Either way, I win.
I wouldn't be so sure here pal....

If you think Wal-Mart will just roll over you are kidding yourself. Ford isn't dealing with a small company here and they we not likely go to court against a giant like this.

Secondly if they do deem that it is Wal-mart's fault warranty will not cover it, if they told you that then get it on paper. This sounds very very fishy.

Adam be very very careful....I think they are setting you up for the fall. They will start to tell you that YOU brought it to Wal-mart. They might also play the "not servicing your car here voids your warranty card".

Just saying be very careful and good luck :D
Well, here's the latest. All I'm replacing is a cracked EGR hose, which had nothing to do with the problem itself. 90+ bucks alone, but I chalk it up to wear and tear. No problemo. The noise has died down extensively since this morning, and they attribute it to the fact the car didn't have the right oil. They also commended me for bringing it in so quick.

My total bill: 157+ taxes. Not bad for an oil change, EGR hose, and labour on replacing said hose. They need to eat too, after all.

Now comes the fun part. I had asked them to do an alignment on the car while it was there. They've said there is an issue with the rear camber on the Focuses that they're aware of, but the worn tires are on the front.

They told me I need to replace the tires, but seeing as I was sold the car only 4 months ago and put only 4000KMs on the car since, I told her I was really upset I'd have to pay for new tires already. The service advisor was going to pull the deal to see what was done to the car prior to delivery to me, and to check the mileage. Methinks I'm getting a new set of tires for free :D
The car is stock height and they are going to change the tires because of camber wear?

:blink:

DAMN, that's not good!

Imagine if it was lower! ;)
There is an extended warranty of the EGRs...I have my letter around.

It used to be on OFOC but not there anymore. :(
^^ Does anyone have the letter about the extension on the warranty on the EGR hose?
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 22 2004, 03:23 PM Wrote:^^ Does anyone have the letter about the extension on the warranty on the EGR hose?
I do at home...will check tonight though :D
Well I got it back. Paid just over 200 bucks for the oil change, EGR tube, and labour to replace said tube. The tapping has gone down a bit, but not as much as Ford thinks IMO.

Bottom line, I was told to drive it for a few days. They basically let it idle for a few hours. To be honest, it doesn't do it very much at all at idle, or under load. They also say now that the tire wear is fine, and an alignment isn't necessary. At least they're not gouging away there. I also, after an inspection by one of their techs, don't need new tires after all. So there :P

So, my philosophy is thus: drive it around town, business as usual. Same for vacation in July. If it blows up, it gets towed to the nearest Ford Dealer as per my roadside contract, and then it gets fixed under warranty. If it sounds like it's getting progressively worse as the summer wears on, I'll submit it for repairs. If it stays constant, I just found a new "tick" for the SPI. :blink:

To be honest, it drives better today than it did the other day. A couple of indulgent (but not WOT) pulls from 0-80KM/H and 100-130KM/H revealed no new noise/vibration/harshness... just the smooth sounds of the SPI under load (with the resonator on the airbox yanked!).

So... we play the waiting game. I'll also be monitoring my fuel economy as well.

Papa, I'd still like that letter about the EGR tube. If I can get 93 bucks back at least... I'm happy! I don't wanna scalp the tech, he's just doing his job. Parts, on the other hand... :ph34r: