FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Micro De Fog Lights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just bought the Hella Fog light kit, and before we tackle the install, and having read the instructions, I have a few questions.

Firstly, has anyone here ever installed this kit on their car?

What we are looking at is the kit comes with a complete wiring harness to turn the lights on from the dash-switch provided- all the way to the lights themself.
A relay and fuse are inline and supplied as well.

What we want to do is cut the connections for the wiring on the Focus now and splice in the connectors from the wiring kit, thereby allowing us to use the fog light switch on the headlight switch.

can this be done?

Do we also need to put in an inline fuse, or can we rely upon the fuse box fuse if there was a problem?

If you know--I appreciate the help.

Nobody done this mod, or are you all being mean and giving me the silent treatment?

Going to room to cry.

My name is Bryan and I need to go to IKEA and by some friends.

Nobody done this mod, or are you all being mean and giving me the silent treatment?

Going to room to cry.

My name is Bryan and I need to go to IKEA and buy some friends.

You could rely on the fuse box ... but the problem is youd have to wire it right into the fuse box yourself ..

you couldnt rely on fords foglight wiring im almost positive .. since those probably run at 3 times the wattage and suck up alot more power.

I would say the best way to do it .. if you want to do it that way .. Is try taking the wire / fuse / kit that came with it .. and try going right to the switch.

But this might lead to problems too, cus i dunno about the switch, how much it can handle either .. :P
both have the same guage of wire, I will have to check the fuse and switch capabilities
Im just saying this because when i had underbody neons .. and i tried to wire them through the car ... they were really bitchy.

Sometimes they would turn on, sometimes they wouldnt. Which leads me to believe the wiring i used from the car was the weak point.

Soon as I just ran the actual wiring into my car, with their supplied switch .. it worked.

So... ?
Here is what you need to do, wire them up with the positive to the battery, the negative to the grounding point, and the trigger wire, you should have 1 wire in your kit, if u have two, then just use the side of the wire coming off the relay, and connect it to ANY+ wire at the end of the fog light connector, and your sett.
That way, you are running all the heavy guage wire to power the fogs in the engine compartment area, and using the existing (thin) fog wiring to energise the relay.
After reading on focaljet what was involved when they installed the European fogs with 55w bulbs, and I will be running H3 throught thesame wiring, it looks like I can use the same system, but maybe put in a relay, just to be safe.

Maybe I will just hook them up with the wiring kit they gave me.

But thanks Paolo
I just installed the euro fogs on my car. Not sure if there the same but I just cut off the connectors from the old fogs. Did some cutting and made my own connectors. They work good. I doubt the micro de fogs are any different. Hella usually inlcudes a bunch of stuff and a manual on how to set it up. How ever its not always 100%. I installed the Hella signals and I didnt use any of there suppliies they provided or there wiring harness. Had to custom make one..
^^ I think you are correct^^

After figuring out that the switch relay and the fuse for the Focus fog lamps is a 30 amp relay and a 30 amp fuse, and the relay/fuse supplied by hella is 15 amp, and the fact that others have installed the 55w bulb with the euro fogs through splicing the old wiring harness, everything should be fine.

The bulb with the fog kit is a 55w as well, so you should see me coming to Sudbury all the way from Barrie.
i had the micro DEs on my old 2000 front bumper.
all i did was wired them directly into the factory fog light harness.
if you do not have factory fogs, use the harness provided, go to a junk yard and pick up a fog light switch and wire them to that.

they are direct replacemnet for the factory fogs