FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Focus? Domestic Or Import Or Neither
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just for some good old debate. What would you consider the Focus.
A domestic car, a european car or neither LOL. Also state why you think what you think..

Reason why Im asking is I went and visited the dealor today to shwo then the new looking Focus and they heard how I won best domestic at a car show. The one new salesman there started talking to me and he knew his s**t. He knew all about the euro aftermarket. He even knew about ST170's, the RS, Chia, all of them.

Any way he said my car should of won best euro.

Other then that I still cant decide what my car is. I know its a domestic becuase its Ford but it so confusing. You see the car covered on front pages of Import Tuner ot Import Racing and its like WTF.. Ths focus is domestic...
I'd call it a domesticated car with a european heritage!
Domestic vs. Euro?

Our car falls into the domestic label. Sure the focus is "from" europe, however the company is american. Euro would be, BMW, Benz, Puegot, Citroen etc... Car companies BASED in Europe. Not North America.

Ford, Chrysler, Chevy. We are all domestic. Just cause the focus was launched first in Europe before coming over doesn't make it euro at all.

If you slapped a euro spec bumper on a honda, would it be "euro" no, it would still be an import. Don't confuse European parts for a european car.
oddly enough Ford Europe cars for the most part are considered "Domestic" in euro to many europeans.

i like to think we have bastardized European cars built in Mexico for the North American domestic market.
its like would you consider a solara a domestic?
Shmee,Jun 17 2004, 07:14 AM Wrote:oddly enough Ford Europe cars for the most part are considered "Domestic" in euro to many europeans.

i like to think we have bastardized European cars built in Mexico for the North American domestic market.
Ditto..

Since Ford Europe developed it (and nowadays, seems to do nicer cars there than here *cough*RS*cough*cosworth*cough*), and we just got the second version that was from there and almost seems like ford and ford europe are 2 diffeent companies.. (i know there not).

I know that the car is a domestic just caus its ford.. but in my heart, i see a little euro compact..
European, absolutely. Who cares what consumer reports thinks; designed in Europe, introduced in Europe and loved a whole lot more as well. No damn Honda guys to steal the spotlight; just crappy Astras... stupid beam rear ends...

But I suppose Ford is American, so ALL of their cars must be... anyone seen a Ka lately?

Silly suits...
Very interesting topic....I think the consumer associates it with domestic even though it is a european inspired car.

On a side note: That is why Saturn came to be and many people to this day still believe we are an import. If you can't beat them...fool the consumer.

Many import buyers will not look at the big three but will look at Saturns...weird eh.
Most definately DOMESTIC with European heritage.

The mear fit and finish on this car deems itself a domestic.

The only thing euro used on our cars was the blueprints of the design.
Paparoach,Jun 17 2004, 12:56 PM Wrote:Many import buyers will not look at the big three but will look at Saturns...weird eh.
This in itself is an interesting topic on it's own.

I never thought of this. :blink:
Quote:Many import buyers will not look at the big three but will look at Saturns...weird eh.

:lol: So true! I had a hard time explainging to a girl at work her Sc2 was more domestic them my car LOL
Yep, DOMESTIC with European heritage is what I would figure....
intense660,Jun 17 2004, 02:25 AM Wrote:its like would you consider a solara a domestic?
My father drives one and refuses to acknowledge it's built in Canada. :P He drives a Jap car and is proud.

The N.A Focus is a domestic car. Maybe the Euro Focus can be considering a Euro car, however, whatever the case may be, a car's "nationality" is determined by that of it's manufacturer.

Funny thing to think about... The Toyota Cavalier. Same question as ours I guess
It's definitely domestic.. european designed, but modified and built in North America.

But what Gumby says.. just because it has a blue oval does that mean it's domestic? Ex. Ka, Mondeo, Falcon, Galaxy, etc..

I don't know about you guys, but my Focus is Mexican. I guess that makes it an import.
Ryan,Jun 17 2004, 01:01 PM Wrote:I don't know about you guys, but my Focus is Mexican. I guess that makes it an import.
Si senor you are right ;)
i'd have to say its mexican/domestic since it has a 3 as the first position of the VIN

IMHO 'real' japanese cars have a J in the first position of the VIN and 'real' german cars have the W there

i think location of final assembly makes a difference since the plant where the suppliers make the parts could be different, the culture of the plant the car was assembled at could be different, etc

I think its a domestic.....

But its tuff .. You deassemble most of the car .. and most of the parts say germany on them ...

So .. :/
Its a Domestic that was Released in Europe before it was released in NA...

Why?

Safety Standards? Maybe...
Cost? Possibly...
Didn't want a huge-launch of a car until they knew it would be a success somewhere? Probably...

Contour = Americanized Mondeo at the cost of hundreds of millions...
NA Focus? = Crappy version of EU Focus.. do the math :) (NO algebra this time... seems to confuse y'all)
LOL my buddy did up his cavalier. Oh man is it sweet. Its all "JDM" and he finished it off my slapping on a Toyota Cavilier emblem. LOL Worst idea. People see and the confusing begins... :lol:
Pages: 1 2