FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Plug Wires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I noticed this today as I was searching the net. Might not be new, but it is certainly a very good price for those who need wires. Right PAPA??

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProd...teIndexID=38808
Nice find but seriously by the time you pay shipping and brokerage fees and all that nice fun stuff, taxes, etc it's basically the same price as a set off http://www.steeda.ca. Glad those are on sale, they would be about 150CDN by the time you got them to Canada if they weren't on sale.....
Ok here's what I know for price.

Plug Wires $29.00 US
Handling 1.50 US
Shipping $18.00 US
Total US $48.50 US
Can $ 48.50 US= $66.60 Can$
Brokerage Fee $12.00
Taxes $3.15
Total Can Shipped to You $81.75

I called them and got an idea of shipping and brokerage fees. Not exact pricing, but they said it would be very close.

Still a great deal

They also have adjustable cam gears for $69 US each on sale from $149
for the 00-04 Zetec only. Sorry SVT guys.
Definitely a good deal for Jackson Racing plugs.... Brokerage fees are higher than that though from my experience. Just got an order from the states, paid $18.06 in taxes and $33.75 in brokerage fees (this was shipped FedEx)...

Not debating you or anything, just letting you know cause I bet you the $33.75 is a standards charge for their services.
meford4u,Jun 16 2004, 08:33 AM Wrote:Plug Wires                              $29.00 US
Handling                                  1.50 US
Shipping                              $18.00 US 
Total US                                $48.50 US
Can $                    48.50 US= $66.60 Can$
Brokerage Fee                        $12.00
Taxes                                      $3.15
Total Can Shipped to You        $81.75

The taxes should be higher man.. expect to pay both taxes (GST and PST), so that should be closer to $9-10 (in SK anyway). Not such a big deal but it's still a pain in the ass to have to pay for something twice (first the cost of item and shipping, then taxes and brokerage seperately).

The JR wires are only $10US cheaper than the Steeda.ca wires, and you'll pay more than that to get them here. So I guess it's really more of a brand preference thing.
Man you are getting nailed for brokerage fees. I just had a new grill imported via Purolator/USPS and the brokerage fee was $5.00 Can.. The rest of the charges made up the GST and PST for the value of the product. I had heard Fed Ex was expensive, so I always try to avoid shipping with them.

USPS is a little slower, but a lot cheaper.

My mistake with the taxes, since I only calculated GST. Total taxes would be $6.75 Can

And yes you could say it is a matter of preference for which brand you go with, but I do know that all plug wires are not created equal.

Just trying to help.
meford4u,Jun 16 2004, 08:48 AM Wrote:USPS is a little slower, but a lot cheaper.
Yeah USPS is a lot cheaper, since you only pay the Customs Canada $5.00 handling fee, plus the taxes (which will differ province to province).

FedEx and UPS are usually a lot more expensive because they handle the brokerage and duty "in house", so basically they can decide to charge you anything they want. If ordering from the US, definitely try to avoid these companies, unless you really really need the part fast, or if it's a big part you cant send standard USPS.

Yeah I heard UPS is cheaper, why not just order through a Canadian distributor if there is one. Never again, screw brokerage fees. Harsh.....
maybe the brokerage fee just depends on what kind of mood the courier is in :P
meford4u,Jun 16 2004, 09:33 AM Wrote:They also have adjustable cam gears for $69 US each on sale from $149
for the 00-04 Zetec only. Sorry SVT guys.
Haha, the SVT guys still can use them... if they let us buy single's
Huh? Guilty its the other way around ...

They handle it inhouse so it will end up being cheaper for you.

Always ship usps or fedex .. ALWAYS .. avoid ups at all cost.
UPS is the devil! they charged me 43.00$ duty on speakers that were declared as 40.00 us... Fuckers!!! :ph34r: :ph34r:
I remember when someone was sending me the plastic long black things on his door cus i was going to carbon fiber them for him ...

I didnt pay anything for them, obviously ....

They got to my door and UPS wanted 43 bucks. I couldnt believe it .... SO i just declined.. hahaha.
meford4u,Jun 16 2004, 02:33 PM Wrote:Ok here's what I know for price.

Plug Wires $29.00 US
Handling 1.50 US
Shipping $18.00 US
Total US $48.50 US
Can $ 48.50 US= $66.60 Can$
Brokerage Fee $12.00
Taxes $3.15
Total Can Shipped to You $81.75
You can pickup a set from Steeda for less than $60 plus tax.
Steeda and JR plug wires are not the same quality. It's like comparing our cars to a Hyundia Pony.
I have come up with a master plan.

Bohahaha
I have a friend who lives in N. Falls who has a PO Box over da river. I can send stuff to his PO Box, he picks it up, brings it to me at work, I buy him a couple beers--case closed.

Bought the good stuff $66.00
Brokerage Fees zip
Taxes nada
Screwing the Government priceless
Steeda and JR plug wires are not the same quality. It's like comparing our cars to a Hyundia Pony.
I have come up with a master plan.

Bohahaha
I have a friend who lives in N. Falls who has a PO Box over da river. I can send stuff to his PO Box, he picks it up, brings it to me at work, I buy him a couple beers--case closed.

Bought the good stuff $66.00
Brokerage Fees zip
Taxes nada
Screwing the Government priceless
Whats the difference?

Im curious
From what I have learned through my son as a mechanic in training and my father-in-law as a electrician, the quality of the wire and the size of the wires allows the current to run freely the larger the size of the wire. The stock wires on the Focus are restrictive to allowing current to run through the wires, creating a lower spark value for the spark plug. A larger coiled wire made up of several smaller wires coiled together is the best application for an electrical charge because this creates several pathways of little resistants.

This is how it was explained to me.

I have some nice wires. They add a nice blue color to my engine bay.
meford4u- That does not support your explanation of jr being better then steeda.
Since both wires are 8mm, it boils down to the type of wire that is used, and the form of braiding. Personally I believe both wires are of the same quality. If your concern was to purchase the best set of wires for your car, you should either go larger then 8mm, buy the firepower coil pack thing, or get a set of nology plugs.
Pages: 1 2