FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to install a euro grill and I got to disable the signal lights. So i figure I can just cut off the connections then tape off the wires. Nope didnt work. I ended up blowing a fuse and now cant find what fuse I blew. Blah im so frustrated lol

01-yellow-ZX3

Your turn signals?

If you just cut them off it will give you the hyper flash.

Maybe your best route is to wire them to your RS bumper?
Wouldn't you just run those wires from your stock signal lights to the new signal lights in the new bumper ya got? Wait, so you will only have the one signal light in the front of the car instead of the one in the side of the bumper and the one in the grill. I read about a mod on how to disable the grill signal lights.... it's off another site.....

http://www.focusworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577

Not sure about what fuse is blown, did you ever find it?
The old bumper lights I got hooked up into the new signals on the bumper but it looks so stupid when those flash when I signal and when the top grill ones flash to. I want to get rid of the whole top grill and the lights. I seriosly think I tried everything. I either get all these warning lights on my dash or I blow more fuses. The next thing im going to try is hook it all back to stock then actually break the bulb so it doesnt light up..
Thabrat, you can leave the Side marker bumper lights disabled or unplugged and it wont affect your turn signal operation, but if u unplug the grille lights, you will get the hyper blink problem. I suggest you leave the bumper lights unplugged, and just extend the major and ground wires from your grille lights (the outer wires) into the new bulb sockets for your bumper. The reason is because the Euro bumpers use the bumper lights as FRONT indicators, and we use our Grille lights as FRONT indicators, so if u follow what I said, you will be fine.
Oh yeah, I just re-read that link I posted, that wouldn't work for you. It still lets the signal lights blink. Hmmmmm sounds like Paolo is onto it.....
Im going to try that. Thanks so much. Its going to be hard becuase everything is so tight. Im sure I can do it though.
A nice small wire stripper, heat shrink connectors, and one of those tiny butane soldering torches are your friend when doing this wiring.

Man it would be easier to wire up some european side repeaters while you're at it, since then you dont have to worry about wires that arent connected. I remember seeing that you wanted to do that eventually somewhere maybe.

I'm guessing you'd want to use the grill major and ground for the side repeaters (so they only flash when signalling), and use the bumper marker wiring for the new front signals (so they turn on with parking lights and flash "off" when signalling).
The only thing is if I reconnect the new euro bumper signals with the top grill wiring is this. The top grill signals have 3 wires where the bumper signals are 2 wires. How would I wire it up to make the 3 wires into 2?
You'll only use 2 of the wires from the grill signals. There's a major, minor, and ground wire, you'll use the two outside wires (major and ground).

The major is the "blink" signal, the minor is the park light, and the ground is a ground of course. Sort of like how you disconnect the middle wire if you dont want your grill lights to come on as parking lights.
I want them to be one thow all the time with my lights..
ThaBrat, it cant be done unless u get a dual filament bulb just like your grille blinkers and re-locate it into your euro bumper signal light opening.

But if u read my above post, I mentioned to use the Major and Ground wire, which is blink and ground, the minor wire which you dont use, is the park light, which feeds off the same ground, plus, the way its set up in europe is the exact same way as I specified, only they use a city light bulb in their headlamps and it connects to the minor wire and ground, do u understand?
paolo,Jun 16 2004, 12:49 PM Wrote:ThaBrat, it cant be done unless u get a dual filament bulb just like your grille blinkers and re-locate it into your euro bumper signal light opening.
But Mr. P, you could use the side bumper light wiring to do what he's talking about. Although that wiring is only meant to light up a 194 bulb, so it might not be as bright as the front wiring. Also, you'll have the problem of fast flashing signal lights (like a light is burnt out) if you dont have the front wiring hooked up.

But yeah, the european bumper wiring uses the front signals for signalling only, not as a parking light. But I guess you can wire it up however you like, as long as all the wiring is used so the system still thinks there's bulbs everywhere.
Ya thats my prob.... Im still confused on how I want to do this...

If I do setup my wiring so the top signals route down to my bumper signals and leave the old bumperl light wiring out will I get any warnings and stuff still?
thabrat,Jun 16 2004, 04:30 PM Wrote:Ya thats my prob.... Im still confused on how I want to do this...

If I do setup my wiring so the top signals route down to my bumper signals and leave the old bumperl light wiring out will I get any warnings and stuff still?
nope, you will not get any warnings nor will you have the hyper blinker problem.
okay I can do that and just use the two wires (leave off the origional middle wire). If I want them to stay on the whole time how do I go about adding the 3rd wire?
Thabrat, look at ur stock grill blinker sockets and bulbs, those have 3 wires, the bulbs u are trying to use in the euro bumper socket, are prolly 2 socket, thats why it wont work.
i'm not going to read all of this thread but the way our signals work you need to just disconnect the harness from the bulb socket and they wont be an issue.
you should actually hook the grill signals up to the front markers on the bumper and modify the stock grill bulb holders to work with the euro front markers adn then leave the side bumper lights from the US bumpers disconnected from the bulbholders.

this is how i had my 2000 euro bumper hooked up and had zero problems for over 3 years.

just make sure you ground out the signal and parking lights to the same ground. doing otherwise will cause a fast flash.