FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Can I Keep My # And Move To A New Provider?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

01-yellow-ZX3

Hey guys,

I'm with Fido right now, and they've been pissing me off lately, and I think its time to change.

I have a Nokia 5100 (GSM if I'm not mistaken), so I think my best bet is to sell it, and start a new plan with either Rogers or MTS (local). I'm definitely not signing up for more than 12 months though.

My biggest concern, can I bring my phone number with me?

Paolo, where you at son?
You cant port from Fido -> Rogers right now, but I am pretty sure People have been able to port from Fido to Telus landline (BC & Alberta only). I believe that very soon, Rogers Wireless and other carriers, are applying to the CRTC to approve of this. So in the meantime, you are SOL. The only thing Rogers can do for you right now, is give u a number with the same area code, and last 4 digits as ur old number. What you can do, is write to the CRTC and hopefully they will make this happen sooner, I wrote to them 6 months ago.
Almost same topic...

The business has an old Nokia (remember the pay as you go phones), they used it under a plan.

Can I use this as Pay as you go...and how much to make it so.
i know that in the states they have a thing that came out in last december called LNP or line number portability it enables you to swtich between carriers keeping the same phone number. Not to sure if here in canada they can do it I imagine they can now that we too have spread to GSM phones. As for using the nokia on pay as you go...most carriers have a set list of phone models that can be used on their prepaid system I believe rogers has one but quite a large one so depending on that model of nokia you should be able to switch from post-paid to prepaid with no problem.....hopefully that helps :D
Paparoach: I can switch any phone from monthly to paygo, and vice a versa. IM me when ever u need it done, and I can walk u thru it.

FociS8nt: Line number portability (LNP) is available here but not for wireless carriers yet. But It WILL be here, just a matter of time

01-yellow-ZX3

Thanks Paolo...I knew you'd answer my question.
paolo,Jun 16 2004, 02:42 PM Wrote:Paparoach: I can switch any phone from monthly to paygo, and vice a versa. IM me when ever u need it done, and I can walk u thru it.
Kewl thanks I will MSN you ;)
paolo,Jun 16 2004, 02:42 PM Wrote:Line number portability (LNP) is available here but not for wireless carriers yet.  But It WILL be here, just a matter of time
[right][snapback]50624[/snapback][/right]

just an update, LNP has arrived in Canada, its only a matter of time when carriers will implement it. I know that it will be available to Rogers & Fido re-sellers (sprint, primus, cityfone, simpro, zerogravity, talas mobility) first before bellus & their resellers get it.
March 14, 2007, you can take your number with you from one carrier to another, in the same local area.

Who's Staying, Who's Leaving, and Why?

Technically, you can already port landline numbers a.k.a. rogers home phone, bell, sprint, to Fido Already for the last few years, since we were the first wireless carrier with CLEC status. Rogers became CLEC-ready for 2 years now, when it combined networks with the former microcell, but wont allow port-ins untill march 14/07
I keep asking at Telus if I can transfer my Rogers cell phone to them and keep the same number but they just give me the same story every time I ask "come back in a few months". :(

you can transfer your telus landline number to rogers home phone, or fido gsm at this time, but unfortunately, you have to wait untill march 14 to port out your rogers wireless number to your telus mobility.

Also, people may not know this, but they can still sign up now for a new carrier, and have their old number changed over to their new provider at a later time. which means you dont have to wait untill march to sign up for a new carrier, cus knowing the industry, that might be a very busy day for new activations and cancellaitons, i predict so many ppl waiting till the end of the day to do it, why wait? get it now, the companies can switch it automatically for you by taking down your info now and processing it on march 14
When I did this last year (switched from Verizon to Cingular down here in the states), the clown at the counter tried to talk me out of it all the time. Made it seem like some huge hassle to get it done, and that I should just get a new number. He probably had a hot date in the back room with his PSP, and I was holding him up.

I finally told him I'd rather keep my lousy call-dropping Verizon service than switch to a service with unhelpful people.. and he did a 180 pretty quick and got it done.

DAMN.. another thing to add to my list of things I have to do when I move... cancel service here, and get one up there... be hitting you guys up for suggestions when that time comes. Wife has Bell or something, and its atrocious.