FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Water Running From Muffler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all

Yesterday I started the car and got out to do something and I heard some fluid flowing underneath the car. I looked and saw a whole bunch of water POURING out of the muffler - about maybe 1/2 litre or so. It looks like this has been happening for a while because there was a spot on the muffler that looked like it had been poked out from the inside - it's all flaky and rusty.

The car is still under warranty, so I guess it will be covered - but where do you guys think that water was coming from? This can't be normal - the car is only 1 year old!

So sure your not just overexaggerating a bit? :P

Its normal for condensation to build up in the exaust channel since its a hot tube .. that cools down ... and its normal for the water to come out afterwards...

Mine used to do it all the time.

*thumbsup*
tdot-zx3,Jun 14 2004, 03: Wrote:So sure your not just overexaggerating a bit?  :P

Its normal for condensation to build up in the exaust channel since its a hot tube .. that cools down ... and its normal for the water to come out afterwards...

Mine used to do it all the time.

*thumbsup*
Nope, not exaggerating at all. It was enough water that I HEARD it splashing onto the driveway - which is why I looked in the first place. Otherwise, I probably would never have noticed. There is a rusted spot where water has clearly been running out for a while.

the exhaust does leak water, and there are drainage holes to let water drain to keep it from freezing/rusting the actual innards.

but a half litre sounds a bit much.. I don't get that much water out of mine, but there was enough in the winter to freeze the muffler solid.
darkpuppet,Jun 14 2004, 03:34 PM Wrote:the exhaust does leak water, and there are drainage holes to let water drain to keep it from freezing/rusting the actual innards.

but a half litre sounds a bit much..  I don't get that much water out of mine, but there was enough in the winter to freeze the muffler solid.
Yeah - I kinda figured SOME water was normal. But this was enough that when I opened the door I sat listening "what is that sound??" after a few seconds I looked underneath and saw a stream of water.

:(

I guess I will just have Ford check it out at my next service appointment in about 1000KM.
I want to see pictures of this phenomenon!

I forget whos car i was working on .. but it was spitting water out sorta like you mention ..

But this seems like excess ... park it just like you did .. i guess hope for the same weather ..

then get that camera ready. *thumbsup*
Half a litre....holy.

I wonder :unsure:
Oh heres another thing - the car had been in the garage for 24 hours, and I hadn't driven in any rain or washed the car for probably a week.

booooooo!
tdot-zx3,Jun 14 2004, 03:43 PM Wrote:I want to see pictures of this phenomenon!

I forget whos car i was working on .. but it was spitting water out sorta like you mention ..

But this seems like excess ... park it just like you did .. i guess hope for the same weather ..

then get that camera ready. *thumbsup*
I am gonna do that. I should carry the camera around and next time I hear the splashing sound I'll be ready. This will probably help when I take it into Ford too....
In the really cold fall I have seen little puddles form under my tip. No biggie. This happening to you in the morning?
Yeah drips and puffs of exhaust coming out of the drain holes is normal, but that much water makes you wonder. I'd definitely get that checked out..
It's a pressure release hole in the muffler for condensation to escape so the muffler won't rust out.

No worries man.
thabrat,Jun 14 2004, 06:03 PM Wrote:In the really cold fall I have seen little puddles form under my tip. No biggie. This happening to you in the morning?
I've only noticed it happening that one time and it was in the afternoon. I will be keeping a closer eye on it though.

I don't notice the car being any louder, so I guess if there is a hole in the muffler it is pretty small... a big hole would be noisy right?