FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Another Happy Ford Customer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Taken from The Star wheel's section

Quote:My Focus overlooked

When my 2002 Ford Focus ZTS sedan (currently with 89,400 km) began stumbling under acceleration, my dealership said the fuel pump would have to be replaced under a Ford recall.

The design apparently permitted debris to be ingested, damaging the pump. I was told that the new pump has a "side finger strainer" that prevents damage.

The dealership then learned that the recall applied only to 2000 and 2001 Focuses.

However, my car, built in fall, 2001, has the old-style fuel pump. Apparently, later 2002 Focuses have the newer unit.

Ford customer service said that, as the car was out of warranty, all they could do was inform Dearborn, and I shouldn't expect any follow-up.

Some $522 later, I am left wondering why a poorly designed Ford Focus fuel pump is subject to recall in 2000 and 2001 but not in 2002. So is my deale

Ford's reply

Quote:Chris Banks, public affairs manager for Ford of Canada, replies:

In 2003, in the interest of customer satisfaction, Ford of Canada voluntarily provided no-charge replacement coverage for the fuel pump to owners of certain 2000 and 2001 Focuses.

Owners of these vehicles were notified of this extended coverage by mail from Ford.

Mr. Dunlop's 2002 Focus has a fuel pump of a different design that is not included in this program. Since the replacement was required at over 89,000 km and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage expired at 60,000 km for Mr. Dunlop's vehicle, Ford of Canada will not be assisting with this repair.

The Ford Quality Care scheduled maintenance guide requires fuel filter replacement at 50,000 km for most vehicles. Like many other components, a fuel pump is subject to failure due to normal wear and tear.

Customers should be advised that a restricted fuel filter may significantly contribute to a fuel pump wearing ou

If the dealer tells this guy that his fuel pump is of the older design I think Ford should replace it under the extended warranty, but this guy's car happens to be a 2002 and doesn't fall under the recall notice so this guy has to pony up his own cash to get his car repaired. If Ford really wanted customer sastifaction it should have helped this customer in some way instead of alienating him and possibly toward another auto manufacturer.

Way to go Ford :rolleyes:
they way they say it.. is that he doesnt have the older style pump.. if its the newer style and it screwed up.. well thats part of the normal wear i'd think too. If they DID still use the older style pump in early 02 models, yes they should cover it.. ford should've been smart enough to know which pumps they used when (whether its a 00' or a 07')

Quote:Mr. Dunlop's 2002 Focus has a fuel pump of a different design..

he might just have the newer pump but the dealer thought it was the older style caus thats probably where they usualy get problems with pumps
If he gets the dealer to rip it out, snaps a digipic of it, and emails it to Ford HQ... I'd think he'd get the part if it is indeed the defective fuel pump.
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 9 2004, 01:27 PM Wrote:If he gets the dealer to rip it out, snaps a digipic of it, and emails it to Ford HQ... I'd think he'd get the part if it is indeed the defective fuel pump.
That just may work

BUT

He shouldnt be going through this at all if its a pump of the old design.
Flofocus,Jun 9 2004, 01:34 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 9 2004, 01:27 PM Wrote:If he gets the dealer to rip it out, snaps a digipic of it, and emails it to Ford HQ... I'd think he'd get the part if it is indeed the defective fuel pump.
That just may work

BUT

As an early 2002, *knock on wood* I haven't had this issue. However, I do know of 2002 owners who have had their fuel pumps fail even when theirs were built near the end of the 2002 cycle <_<

Bumper-to-bumper ends at 60,000 km. There's "goodwill"; however, that runs out at 80,000 km, and a goodwill repair needs to authorized. However, if the guy didn't do the "recommended" maintenance, he will be kicked severely in the arse.

Car companies are cracking down on "suggested maintenance". Friends at management levels of import manufacturers have told me that there's an increasing mentality of if customers don't strictly adhere to recommended service, they can/will be denied even warranty items.

Ford should be able to pinpoint whether the part is a 2001 or 2002 part. All manufacturers have complex JIT systems. You wonder why there are bar codes all across parts of cars? Well, it's to track them! I'll assume Ford is doing a blanket denial only until they figure out what is really the problem. As for Dearborn knowing what's going on...ha! I know I gave their engineers hell when they couldn't even figure out my car in July 2002.

Most likely, Ford will cover it in the end. Like the DPFE (as some 2002 owners have received letters), it may take some time before Ford sees them bringing it as an Extended Warranty program.
Flofocus,Jun 9 2004, 01:34 PM Wrote:
That just may work

BUT

I agree completely... but it's never easy dealing with morons of ANY sort. You have to be persistent.
I had fuel pump failure on my 2002, but it conked out on me before 10,000....
my car is chugging on me when I do 60 in 4th gear or when I slowly accelerate, Im thinking it might be that my fuel filter is cloged or that my pumped fudged.