FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Rotors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was walking to the car today after work and for some reason picked up a glint off my rotors. Went to take a look, low and behold, there's a few nice deep gauges out of the damned thing. Guess something got wedged between rotor and pad. Life's good eh? Anyway, figure I may as well replace them, because were I to machine them I'd probably lose 1/16 - 3/32" of surface. If I'm replacing the rotors I'll do the pads at the same time. I was thinking about brembo blanks, but do slotted/cross drilled perform better in the winter (i.e channel water away from the braking surface)? What would be a good, INEXPENSIVE pad to use with low dust and good wear? How hard are these things to change? Yay for another project to chew up money I would rather spend on a bumper.
its pretty easy

the caliper guide bolt is a hex bit, there's the caliper mounting bracket bolts, you'll need a C clamp for the piston, i used a S hook and some chain to hang the caliper from the spring perch, some anti seize, some brake cleaner, a torque wrench, a breaker bar and a big pipe just in case

it might take a while the 1st time, but after that its pretty easy

the anti seize IMHO is key though.. it just make it so much easier the 2nd time... the only part that could be a bitch is the caliper mounting bracket bolts.. just hope those aren't corroded

i vote hawk hps and brembo blanks for the trillionth time haha.. ebc seems to be a popular street pad also.
naz,Jun 4 2004, 11:34 PM Wrote:i vote hawk hps and brembo blanks for the trillionth time haha.. ebc seems to be a popular street pad also.
Yeah it was after the thread about the effectiveness of blanks vs. slotted that I decided to go with just stock (or the brembo equivalent) for replacement. I was just curious as to whether the slotted/cross drilled made any difference in wet/snowy conditions. Whatever the case, blanks it is.

How are those Hawk pads for dust? Stock pads are horrible for it, and wear quickly, but are responsive and comfortable. Anyone know a retailer in Toronto that carries Hawk HPS pads or could get them for me?

Thanks for the help Naz :)
I have a new setup for brakes, EBC greenstuff With Brembo cross drilled. Screw slotted, all they do is chew up pads for no good reason.
on the tire rack site it specifically warns not to use cross drilled rotors on the track.. i think that right there says everything you need to know about whether or not cross drilled is useful

they do look nice i guess?

hawk hps dust a lot less than stock. they didn't feel any different from OEM for me