FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Had A Dyno Test Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The car went to the Dyno to find out what the problem was with it falling on it's face and slightly hesitating at times with the JRSC.
Here are the results from a Dynojet

http://groups.msn.com/FocusTuning2/shoebox...Photo&PhotoID=3

What we found out is that there is absolutely nothing wrong. We did, however, find many ways to manage and improve the HP and torque of the Focus. So we are looking at putting in a GReddy manage system first, so we can adjust the car to what has already been installed, and then add more toys like 42lb injectors, a returnable fuel system with dual regulators, and of course the header and hiflow to boot. Anybody got 3 Grand sitting around.

I told him I would give him the money, but he is way too proud for that and will wait til the end of the summer and start saving for the next level.

We are looking at numbers with just the GReddy system alone, around 20-25 more hp. For those of you who don't know what this is, it is basically a highly involved tuning kit for your car. It overrides your stock settings so you can do things like raise the max boost to say 7000 rpm, yes blue toy we are shooting for your numbers eventually.

Nice dyno there meford4u... it's very typical of JRSC equiped zetecs.

If you find you're having stumbles, have you checked your spark plug gaps? You should be running maybe 1 step colder plugs, at 35 thou gap, and may find this $12 solution simpler and just as effective to making the car run reliably.

As for the GReddy e-manage, for $100USD more, you can get the SCT Pro Racer package and have more control over your engine than the e-manage without any of the risk of you ECU learning out the tuning (and none of the complicated installation). GReddy allows you to intercept various signals, and semi-tune the car that way, but the ford ECU is a very tricky (but smart) cookie, and can unlearn much of your tuning, bringing the car back to stock timing/fuel trims that would prove disasterous over the long run.

Of course, I don't have any experience with the GReddy unit, but I would be very skeptical of it, especially considering that there are better, more focused solutions for the focus. Heck, you could pony up less than half the price of the GReddy unit to have a shop like Steeda.ca custom burn you a SCT chip for your application... cheaper, more reliable, and perfectly fine for a daily driver.

Also, for the horsepower you're going to get out of the JRSC, you should be able to get by on the returnless fuel system...

So go pick up 42lb injectors, the SCT, spend at most, $2200, and get all the tuning you need, without all the hassle of complicated installs.

just my $0.02

I was hoping you would chime in. Never considered the colder plugs. The problem with the car stalling happens when you are in 3rd and pushing the car around 3500+ rpm, then you approach a red light and push in the clutch and the rpm's drop suddenly, and the car sometimes stalls.
We had just assumed it was a fuel problem, so we went to the dyno to check it out. After speaking with the mechanics, one who owns an SVT Focus and the other who used to work for the Ford dealer, they were thinking that because of the cam work, the car being aggressive, that it literally is falling flat on it's face because the stock programming allows the car to fall rapidly in the rpm's. A reprogramme of this would settle the issue.
We have to take a look at everything out there. The GReddy is freakin expensive.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Is your focus a Zetec engine or SVT?

I also heard greddy was looking at making a turbo kit for the Focus. Im not sure how true that is but that would be sweet.
zetec
meford4u,Jun 2 2004, 09:03 AM Wrote:they were thinking that because of the cam work, the car being aggressive, that it literally is falling flat on it's face because the stock programming allows the car to fall rapidly in the rpm's. A reprogramme of this would settle the issue.
did you guys put in the stock cams to see if the problem still occurs ?

i also think that steve's idea of using a chip you can program yourself is better... that greddy emanage is just an expensive way to intercept and alter the MAF signal to the PCM is it not ? i'd go with spending a bit more to get a better solution...
Don't have the stock cams, bought the car without them.

Check here to see what the Greddy system does.

http://greddytrust.tripod.com/

http://www.greddy.com/products/products.as...uel%20computer)

Think this is the solution for us, but more research is being done to take a look at the chip.

Feedback is always appreciated.

i think jay may still have a set of focus cams around from marcs car..... i'm sure something could be arranged if you can get ahold of him.... i was thinking the same thing cause i've heard bad things about cams and boost..... i think the cams you have are pretty lumpy too and that would only make it worse....i figured you should be close to those numbers with just the cam i could be wrong but it's prolly worth checking out...