FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ignition Tumblers Fubar'd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well..the other night i went to the grocery store and came back to the
car and I could not insert the key fully. I tried for 45 min's before I called the
Service club. They had to replace the key tumbler assembly and I gotta go in for the bill. ( Ignitiontumbler assembly)
I was hoping it was under Basecare but I guess not !!

Anyone else had this ??
Happens in all lines of cars.
[QUOTE]

But after 83,000km ..I thought that was a bit of a short lifespan..
yea this happened to me too

but i got lucky i was able to get the key in there so i didn't have to drill out the old lock cylinder.. i picked up a new one at dealer cost for 45usd

sucks. i hated my car after that for a couple of months

i had like 60,000km on my car when that happened.. personally i think thats way to short also for a part like that to fail
Happened to me at 6X,XXX km. Just out of warranty and they would not fix it for me under warranty. Same symptoms!
It happened to my wife's caravan. One way to prevent this from happening is to limit the number of keys or other silly artifacts people put on their key chains. The added weight does effect the tumblers over time, or so I was told. The only other key I have on my ring is my house key.
BTW it wasn't cheap to replace since the caravan has coded keys.
silver02svtf,Jun 3 2004, 03:15 AM Wrote:BTW it wasn't cheap to replace since the caravan has coded keys.
what does 'coded key' mean.. is that the same as the PATS that the focus has?

on the focus PATS and the ignition lock cylinder have nothing to do with each other.. one way to save on labor would be to get the key code, assemble the lock cylinder and turn it over to a dealer as a completed assembly for them to put in...

I believe it is a similar system. If I remember correctly when I questioned them as to why it was so $$ to replace they said <'98 caravan was cheap to replace since it didn't have an antitheft and >'98 more $$ to replace due to the coded key/ antitheft. Sorry but my memory is a little blurry on this one since it happened about 3 years ago.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

buy a dodge
Well this just happened to me tonight. :angry:

I tried to put the key in the ignition and it only went in part way. After many attempts it finally went in all the way but it does not turn at all.

Now my car is stuck where I parked it (not at home.)

Is there a way of getting this fixed without towing it to the dealer?

Anyone have any ideas?

there are tons of threads on this on FJ. I believe maybe tapping it wiht a hammer may get the pins aligned enough to turn the ignition then you can drive it.
We had one yesterday and we were able to get it to go in and turn. We had to do alittle bit more than just tap the key though, we thought the key was going to shadder into pieces. At our dealer we do at least one focus a month with the problem, escapes also. To code the key cylinder you can do it yourself or buy it and bring it to a locksmith who ususlly charge about $25.00 to do it. Part # SW 6285
I still have to do this process with my Euro Iginition key & cylinder.. did all the other locks but the trunk & ignition so far.
I tapped it a few times with a deadblow rubber mallet and it finally was able to turn so that I could start the car and take it home. The key is still sticky when trying to pull it out, but at least I can put it back in and start the car now. I'll keep the mallet in the car just in case it happens again.

Do I still need to buy a new ignition cylinder?
dBlast,Nov 30 2007, 10:22 PM Wrote:I tapped it a few times with a deadblow rubber mallet and it finally was able to turn so that I could start the car and take it home.  The key is still sticky when trying to pull it out, but at least I can put it back in and start the car now.  I'll keep the mallet in the car just in case it happens again.

Do I still need to buy a new ignition cylinder?
[right][snapback]253830[/snapback][/right]

more than likely some of the pins are still bent, i would suggest changing it before the key gets stuck in it again and you arent able to get it out. then you will have a lot more trouble changing it.
Yes, you def need a new cylinder. Do it now, while you can get the key to the #2 position...easy to replace then. If it sticks, you'll have to drill it out....not so easy.

Look around, you'll find all the answers you need on this. I even posted a link to full details somewhere on here or FJ.