FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
30,000 clicks on my car and the brakes are squeeling like a pig.
Going in tomorrow to have an inspection...anyone else have pads go this early...maybe it's not early, maybe I drive like a maniac?
Mine went well before that and so you know, on the Focus brakes and rotors wear at about the same rate. You'll likely have get get everything done up front. Your rear brakes won't need anything.
Thanks for the heads up. You think it's worth an upgrade?
27,000km mine started to squeal....

31,500km now...still noisey!! :D
Genral consensus is the Ford parts are more than good enough. Good upgrades according to people here I trust are Hawk pads and Brembo blank rotors.

Lots also like the "Greenstuff" pads. When mine went I used the Brembo blanks, KVR pads plus got stainless steel lines at all four corners. I dont have any before and after "numbers" but I'm happy with the set up.

Most will tell you to stay away from slots and holes.
Try rounding the edges of the pads...this will help if they do not need replacing
38,250, have mine redone twice........ still noisy. LOL
weird, got my first replacement at 60K, Im at 80K with Brembeo blanks and KVR Carbon Fibre pads, and very happy with the setup (also cheaper than OEM replacement ;) )
Hmm, the brakes on my zx3 didnt go till 68500.... but at that point it was almost metal on metal.
Is this covered under warranty? I am at 22,000 km and the guy at the rim shop said get new pads + rotors asap.
Ass,May 28 2004, 03:34 PM Wrote:Is this covered under warranty? I am at 22,000 km and the guy at the rim shop said get new pads + rotors asap.
Brakes would be considered wear and tear Items, so no warranty covergae unless the brakes are faulty by design.
My rotors warped before 20,000 and got them replaced under warrenty for free :D

only because it was before 20,000 though

01-yellow-ZX3

Yah same here, gots my rotors replaced for free.
Ass,May 28 2004, 02:34 PM Wrote:Is this covered under warranty? I am at 22,000 km and the guy I gave the rim job to said get new pads + rotors asap.
Not warranty... but they DO give you a discount on labour! (unless you get your Ford Discount on parts... then you get no discount on labour... then again thats only if you go to Courtesy...)

AND.. I'm suprised your rotors and pads lasted that long...

:) :D
tony, go to a parking lot and accelerate and break very hard to get the rotor very very hot, then go to a pressure wash and shot water on them, they might wrap and you would get new ones under warrenty from ford.... who knows it might just work.

:lol:
My brakes on my 2000 ZX3 started making strange noises at around 15k and Ford replaced them under warranty, but I needed to replace them again around 50k and I was SOL on that one and has to pay out of my own pocket.
I got 72000 Km on my and still no squeeling, but I have a feeling its coming soon.
Most of my Km's s highway though.
Hey Rob, I would take it in and get them checked and replaced or do it yourself. I just paid a hefty price to get new rotors and all that, and I get employee cost on parts and labor. I will never wait again, going to get them checked every second oil change from now on.
Don't forget to service brakes every 20,000 km. It involves cleaning down the discs, drums, and lubrication of the calipers and other moving parts.

Aside from that, I'm averaging about 60,000 km for every set of front discs. I'm planning to do my rear drum pads this month...only because I know I'll be out-of-spec for the SVTOA On Track in Cayuga this July.
If you are under 30K you may have a chance to get some help from Ford. When the Focus was first introduced, there was a front brake issue and Ford was running a silent campaign for helping customers.

Pages: 1 2