FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 02' Ford Focus Zx3 :
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Guys,

Need some help with a little decision here. I'm trying to decide on a Supercharger or a full Turbo kit with the Intercooler. Which one do you think will make more horsespower on my little 2.0l Zetec? Also, will i have to replace my pistons and rods if i'm running over 7 psi? I read somewhere that running past 7psi on a stock motor can make your rods crumble :unsure: That wouldn't be to good.

Thanks
Matt
First off, welcome to the club.

The 2.0 Zetec is known to handle up to 300Hp with proper tuning, thats probably pushing it though.

I dont think you need to touch the internals with most SC/Turbo setups as long as you have proper tuning. It will be easier to achive higher HP with a turbo.

How much power you looking for? :unsure:

EDIT: I like your sig, you have far to go....

Werd is Tom hit 11's :o
Damn 11's is freaking quick. So how much hp is your Focus running? Would you know anyone that has a dyno machine in the Toronto/GTA area??

Matt
Burnin21,May 24 2004, 09:25 PM Wrote:So how much hp is your Focus running?
:lol:

Probably 100 Wheel hp. :o

Quote:Would you know anyone that has a dyno machine in the Toronto/GTA area??

From Ottawa, so I dont know, somebody from TO wil chime in.....
Did ya put lots of $$ into your focus? Cause i'm looking at doing some major mods to mine when i get it. I figure if i get my budget done right for starters it will make things alot easier. By the way does anyone know how much power that Steeda Intake manifold pumps out? That manifold looks interesting.
Burnin21,May 25 2004, 01:42 AM Wrote:Did ya put lots of $$ into your focus? Cause i'm looking at doing some major mods to mine when i get it.
wait

you don't have a focus yet

don't get one.. get something else

its going to cost you 4000usd to SC or turbo a focus unless you have a good fabrication skills..

for that much money you are swapping in a SR20DET into G20/sentra/200SX/240SX

or 3S-GTE into a celica or mr2

or some vtec b series into an EF/EG

Hey man i already bought the Focus its on like a backorder or somethin like that. I've been trying to find an 02 ZX3 5spd for a while now. I think i've decided to run a Jackson Racing Supercharger anyways. Whats your opinion on these?
How much are you paying for the Jackson Racing super cause if its in the 4 grand ball park dont spend your money on it.
Okay wow...you need to slow down.

There is tonnes to learn about our pieces of sheat....

I will make some things easy though...before buying anything expensive slow down and ask questions....jumping right into a turbo or SC might not be something you want or expect.

There are many different ways you can go with this car...many of us including myself have made tonnes of mistakes. So ask around many of us know what we are talking about...we even have some guys with reliable turbos and superchargers. Some guys have cars that have never lost at shows.

First figure out what you want in the car.....that is the big thing and be honest with yourself because wanting to go somewhere and getting there are two different things. Turbos and SC are not cheap and require alot of knowledge.

I sound like I am preaching but we just want you to get to where you want to go.

And welcome to our little club...stay awhile, stay forever.
Burnin21,May 25 2004, 02:47 AM Wrote:Hey man i already bought the Focus its on like a backorder or somethin like that. I've been trying to find an 02 ZX3 5spd for a while now. I think i've decided to run a Jackson Racing Supercharger anyways. Whats your opinion on these?
ummm

what do you mean man? you are getting a used vehicle and its on 'backorder' ?? how does that work.. either its on the lot for you to buy or its not man... you are making payments on a used car you don't have right now?!

i think the JRSC is not a good value for the money brand new in terms of horse power per dollar and the 'black box' that comes with it is a pathetic tuning solution..

but it is a bolt on and go thing which is a lot less hassle than having to put together a turbo kit, and it doesn't make much power so i guess it won't reduce the durability of the motor very much

personally, i think you shouldn't get a focus.. but if you are stuck with it, then either go big and get a turbo kit or just leave it alone

EDIT: also if you told us the total amount of money you are willing to spend on the car we'd be able to give you much better advice....
you go guys........listen to these guys, they know what there talkin about......if it wasnt for these guys i wouldnt be where i am now......i proubly would still have my L.E.Ds and some other crappy lookin s**t.....

good luck man

tyler (aka) ZX5
naz, man...you know....I dont mind that you complainin about the issues that you had with your car, but blatently telling a new member NOT TO GET A FOCUS. C'mon :rolleyes: ...the guy is asking noob questions about SC/Turbos, you think hes gonna buy a car and do an engine swap....

Burnin, the Jackson racing is an excellent bolt on supercharger that is reliable, though it will put NO WHERE NEAR the amount of HP and TQ as a Turbo would.

Like Roach said, you need to slow down....

Read this (from the cougar boards)....take your time....

http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/messagevi...&threadid=94388

B)
Ahhh ha Lights go on, now someone is home. We were looking at adding bigger injectors, talked about a larger MAF and tuning--why of course that's happening now.
But to see this----bends down and kisses feet>>

Great Bastard

Flofocus,May 25 2004, 02:20 PM Wrote:naz, man...you know....I dont mind that you complainin about the issues that you had with your car, but blatently telling a new member NOT TO GET A FOCUS.  C'mon  :rolleyes: ...the guy is asking noob questions about SC/Turbos, you think hes gonna buy a car and do an engine swap....
he is asking n00b questions and that is exactly why i am telling it to him straight before he gets in deeper

factory turbo motors are a lot easier to work with and make more power, more reliably

he'd have to swap injectors and MAF, tune the car himself on the dyno or plug and pray someone else's tune and deal with that hassle

or he could just pay someone to swap in a factory turbo motor, up the boost a bit, maybe change the exhaust piping and the IC and call it a day

and it is probably cheaper than getting a 2002 focus and modifying it

look at steve's SC setup.. he is making the same power now as a SR20DET would pretty much stock. and the total cost of his setup is way more than paying someone to swap a DET into some old rust free nissan from down south

EDIT: i just realized i don't know what the engine prices or labor costs are in canada anymore... or the pricing of used cars there... but here in the US, it would be cheaper to pay someone to swap a motor into a nissan than to buy a focus, buy a FI kit and get someone to install it and then pay someone to tune it
You missed my point.

The guy just bought a focus and is looking for help and pointers...you do remember this is a message board for Focus enthusiasts. What you did probably turned him off this site more than anything else....

I see where your coming from...totally....$ to performance wise its a no brainer......but some people like to be different to. B) :)

naz,May 25 2004, 06:18 PM Wrote:look at steve's SC setup.. he is making the same power now as a SR20DET would pretty much stock.  and the total cost of his setup is way more than paying someone to swap a DET into some old rust free nissan from down south

Don't forget that the SR20DET would have a higher redline than what I currently have...

truth is you can do it cheaper than trying to do it with a focus, but that's what makes us all special.. we shirked the usual crowd, and are doing something different.

and complaining about it.

Regardless, a supercharger like a JRSC will get you some ponies, but you won't make big power on a little zetec.. maybe 150-160 at the wheels top, with very little torque. But you can run it for the life of the car.

The vortech supercharger is just a convoluted way to get a turbo without buying a turbo and losing your emissions equipment.... a torque curve that's nearly parallel to the horsepower curve, and much more power... longevity is still undetermined, but I'm hoping for the best.

Turbo.. most proven, if you have the time, you can do it on the cheap, but there's always maintenance issues, and longevity concerns. If you buy a complete turbo kit, expect to spend big $$$ for a good one, but you'll have longevity.

What's your budget look like? you might be able to get more immediate satisfaction from some bolt-ons and still build a solid base for when you can afford to go FI properly.

Guys are putting down HUGE horsepower numbers on stock internals. Aim for under 250, and get proper tuning, and you should be alright.
Ok guys thanks for the info! Man you guys are overwhelming (in a good way cause you know alot) By the way i wasn't planning on putting on a supercharger or turbo until i've done a few engine internal mods and learned a few more things about the Zetec. Man its so much easier to build an old V8 tho. Maybe i should just drop an old Cobra 427 S/C motor into a focus lol.

By the way where are you guys from??
As my sig denotes, I'm pretty much the only active member from North Bay. Welcome to the club, by the way!
Hey man thanks alot........there is lots i gotta learn, which i know but i was wondering if Steedais a really good place to buy performance parts. Anyone ever checked out Sean Hyland too?

Talk to you guys l8r
Once again welcome to the board. There is alot of good places or products that you can buy parts for the Focus. Best thing to do is ask before buying this way you will get many different opinions and from that you can decide on your own.

I think the best place for you to start is getting your car to breathe a little better which would be upgrade your intake to the exhaust. This is where it all begins. If I had to do it all over again this is what I would do if I has staying NA.

Intake - Volant with Iceman tubing or just Volant...lol
Throttle Body - Either self ported or Focus Central 65mm
Intake Manifold - Ported 2000 focus
Headers - 4-2-1 Focus Central or Steeda
Flex Pipe - Bosal
Exhaust - Borla (but I like it loud) if not you can't beat Bosal for the price

I think this will give you a good start. But like I said before don't be shy we are all here to help you out. After that there is alot more you can do from cams to turbos.

Enjoy and don't mind Naz he was beatin up by a ford employee once...bitter bitter man. :lol:

Ohhhh I am from Sudbury

Pages: 1 2