FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Dirty Engine Bay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.. just wanted to show off my new intake and strut bar.. both were used and chromed, stripped down and painted high-temp cast iron gray.

<a href='http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v96/guilty/Intake/Dsc00532.jpg'>[Image: Dsc00532.jpg]

<a href='http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v96/guilty/Intake/Dsc00533.jpg'>[Image: Dsc00533.jpg]</a>

Both pieces are from Ractive, and the stickers were taken off..

No bling under my hood!

Oh yeah, dont mind the excessive dirt, I just wiped it down before the picture. And the yellow intake breather hose is on there until tuesday when I get a black hose.
woah man, your engine bay is dirrrty. You need to Powerwash that Engine ASAP. But the additions look nice. Keep up the good work.
paolo,May 23 2004, 08:53 AM Wrote:woah man, your engine bay is dirrrty. You need to Powerwash that Engine ASAP. But the additions look nice. Keep up the good work.
Yeah I know I know.. but wanted to do it on a sunny day so the water will evaporate and s**t.. it's been raining and shitty all weekend. When I come back from Vancouver I'm going to thoroughly clean every inch of the car, inside and out.
Lookin good...
Steve, when you come back, we'll clean your engine at my place if you want. We got one of those Simonize power washers. Then we can do mine too :P
those parts look really good. DO NOT clean your engine bay with a powerwasher, just use a hose hooked up to your house. too many things that could go wrong if you do.
i clean mine once a month with a pressure washer and nothing has gone wrong....so i dont see anything wrong with doing it&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;do what you want steve.....

tyler
I've used a pressure washer many times on my engine bay, and no problems.
the water's pressure is so high, that it doesnt have a chance to sit on the components, just wash off the gunk, and thats it, while a hose is low pressure, so the water is more likely to sit on your components and you will have more chance of problems doing it that way.
FocusGuy7476,May 23 2004, 12:50 PM Wrote:those parts look really good. DO NOT clean your engine bay with a powerwasher, just use a hose hooked up to your house. too many things that could go wrong if you do.
You are very very right....

Pressure washer is a bad idea, it forces water where it isn't suppose to go....

Just use some degreaser and a garden hose and you will be fine.
How did this thread become. &quot;Opposing ideas on how to clean your engine bay&quot;

C'mon guys he did some nice work here. Give him props or I'll bust your lips! :)

Good s**t Steve. You done me proud. And i didn't have to even do it for ya.

Can't wait until it's wheel painting time!
what up Hemi???

steve, your car looks great and that engine bay is besides the point....i cant wait till you get back so you can get started on those rims.....gunmetal is going to look sharp.....if you need some spares on your car while your painting....feel free to ask me....i have a set here doing nothing but taking up space.....

tyler
I just used a pressure washe ron mine today. When I do it thow I dont pull the trigger. I juts lightly mist it.. Works for me.
Looks good. By the way I don't think your engine is particularily dirty and for the record I'm in the no pressure washer camp, Simple Green and a garden hose for me.
Ill vote pressure washer. ive heard some horror stories about using the pressure washers though. but when i do it i just cover up the coilpack. cone and alternator. just because those components usually react to water badly.

Ive actually had more problems with just the garden hose.... the water just sits there. almost nuked an idler pulley that way :angry:
hemi,May 24 2004, 09:11 PM Wrote:C'mon guys he did some nice work here. Give him props or I'll bust your lips! :)
Haha.. thanks hemi. And everyone for the compliments and the cleaning suggestions.

And yeah Tyler, I'll call you about borrowing your wheels while we paint mine.. that'll make things a lot easier.
ZX5,May 25 2004, 06:19 AM Wrote:what up Hemi???

tyler
See I told you I posted here... more lurking than posting, true...

And i got the big bag full of zingers! :ph34r:
I think the best way to clean the engine bay is to let it soak under water for 30 minutes. yea, just take it to one of those boat launch ramps and drive it into the lake, let it sit for about 30 minutes, and leave the engine running. This works great every time, it cleans the outside of the engine, and the inside at the same time ;)