FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Review Of Focus As A Used Car Bargain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Focus, 2000-2003
by Bob McHugh

An imaginative design that was also very practical, the year 2000 Ford Focus was a trend-setting small car - for a new millennium. Its taller-than-average body has raised seating that takes advantage of new-found inner space. This also makes getting in and out of a Focus easier than most and the "Control Blade" rear suspension offers a passive form of four-wheel-steer that gives the Focus surprisingly good handling characteristics.

Auto critics loved it, European Car of the Year, Canadian Car of the Year, honour after honour was showered on Focus. "With Focus, our goal was to break the basic small car mould with a car Canadians want to own - not one they must settle for because of price," said then President and CEO of Ford of Canada, Bobbie Gaunt.

Focus was the most successful new Ford vehicle launch in years. By the end of January 2000, more than 11,300 Canadians had already driven away in a brand new Focus. A base Focus LX 4-door sedan sold for $14,995. Prices for the Focus ZX3 (a 3-door hatchback) started at $16,695, the Wagon started at $17,695 and a sporty ZTS at $19,795.

Safety features included new-generation de-powered driver and passenger air bags and optional side airbags. There are pre-tensioning and load-limiting systems on the seat belt retractor mechanisms, it also came with ISOFIX child-seat attachments and 'bounce back' power windows.

Standard power in LX and SE sedans is a 110-horsepower 2.0 litre engine. Fuel consumption is rated at 9.4 L/100 km in the city and 6.5 L/100 km on the highway. The ZX3 and the ZTS sedan both come with a 16-valve Zetec 4-cylinder engine that produces 130-horsepower at 5300 rpm.

AdvanceTrac, a vehicle stability system was initially offered as a new option on the “Z” versions of 2001 Focus and expanded to the rest of the Focus line in ’02. The ZX3 and LX also got a standard remote keyless upgrade in 2001.

A new five-door hachback version of Focus called the ZX5 was a new addition in 2002. It has seating for five and a 60/40 split rear seat that folds flat. A Canadian Winter Package, an MP3 audio system, and an optional perimeter alarm system were new options in 2003. A significant reduction in road noise was also achieved through new under-body sealing and thicker carpet under-lay.

Now for the bad news, product quality, especially in the first and second (to a lesser extent) years was poor. Focus was recalled for nine separate safety defects (see attached list) in the first year alone. It’s sad, because Focus is actually a well-designed and well-engineered car. The basic mechanical stuff appears to stand up reasonably well and product quality appears to be on the mend, with just one recall in 2002 and none in 2003.

Focus performed well when crash tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The driver space was maintained reasonably well in the frontal offset crash test, however, intrusion into the footwell area contributed to the possibility of leg injury. Advanced front airbag and safety belt systems, optional side airbags with head protection, and an optional stability control system were considered pluses.

A great design and fun to drive, the Ford Focus got off to a shaky product quality start, but has seen steady improvements. Used prices are reasonable and selection is excellent.

Current Red Book Pricing (avg. retail) May 2004: Year Model Price today Price new
2003 Focus Sedan SE $12,550 $18,115
2002 Focus Sedan SE $10,850 $17,995
2001 Focus Sedan SE $9,825 $17,250
2000 Focus Sedan SE $8,550 $16,695

Used vehicle prices vary depending on factors such as general condition, odometer reading, usage history and options fitted. Always have a used vehicle checked by an experienced auto technician before you buy.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/b...3focus.htm
thanks this is what i was hoping for, i can get a pretty good deal at the auction for a fraction of what the asking price is.

reason why im looking at a 2001 is bc there is lots of them in the auctions now and u have lots of choices to pick up a decent one. i think Focus is the best car u can pick up used. u dont have to worry about depreciation either bc its already gone thru that phase.

thanks for the arthicle. its pretty good
mo_focus,May 20 2004, 07:02 PM Wrote:i think Focus is the best car u can pick up used.
i disagree 100%

its good.. for the price.

but is it good. period.

no i don't think so

it doesn't excel in anything.. its just.. there. and its a ford.

well can u tell me where i can pick up a 2001 Focus sport for under 6K? maybe even cheaper. as i said before i dont pay for the prices you see. i get auction prices.

i hate neons, and i hate GM( cavalier and sunfires)
as for japs, well there is no way in hell u can pick up a used one (good condition) for about 6K
europeans, well dont even go there. no way there is anything 2001 for around 6K

we just want to keep the car for 3 to 5 yrs untill we can save up for something good
6k cdn = appx 4k usd

we are just different people

i would get a 1994 Sentra SE-R for 3300 before i would get a 2001 focus SE any day.

i've seen them with low mileage engine and tranny swapped in for that price. those engines are bulletproof and will run forever

there are also many mid 90s 5spd maximas for less than 4k usd

even if you got a japanese car with 120000 km on the motor and tranny.. it will go to 300000km easy if its well maintained.. besides the focus isn't exactly super ultra reliable itself.. it will probably go into the shop more than the mid 90s japanese car

just those two cars.. the SE-R i think is a more capable car for motorsport.. bulletproof engine, LSD trans, lighter.. the maxima has more features, more everything.. both of those cars have great motors.. the SR20DE and the VQ30DE are workhorses...

if you shopped well you can get some nice hardware for 4k usd

there are also tons of old subarus for less than 4k usd.

so yea even for 6k cdn i think the focus a 'good' car.. but definitely NOT the best
Im gonna chime in since my girlfreind and I have been shopping around for used cars the past month.

Her budget was 6K. She needed a car, four door (cheaper for her insurance), good on gas, cheap insurance, reliable, and comfortable.

I never influenced her in anything.

We looked at:
-Sentra
-Civics
-Focus
-Saturn LS1 (cant remeber the model, somehting like that...its a dam saturn :rolleyes: )
-Golf
-neon
-acura 1.6 el

She honestly liked the focus the best out of all of these.., She liked the fact that in the focus she wasnt sitting 3 inches from the ground like in the civic and Acura, she HATED the way the 2 golfs (CL) drove, neon....well, nuff said, the sentra had really hig Km's (190K)...she loved the focis seats out of all of the rides, the interior she addored...

She almost bought a focus 4 door. 60 000Km (warranty left for 40K or 1.5 years), the lady was asking $5800.00....thats pretty much a NEW car for under 6K.

THEN her VERY NICE dad came by and gave her an extra $2K to spend on the car. "Its a present" he said. Nice fookin present.

So now she had $8000.00 to spend, we went to the ford delaership and she bought a 1995 Honda Accord EX with 70K on it. :lol: It was a trade in for a Focus!! :lol:

I'll post pics later.

Flofocus,May 20 2004, 06:10 PM Wrote:-Saturn LS1 (cant remeber the model, somehting like that...its a dam saturn :rolleyes: )
Bastard I caught that.....

I love Saturn and how they name stuff....

SL
SL1
SL2

ION*1
ION*2
ION*3

SC1
SC2

LS
LS1
LS2

L100
L200
L300

L300*1
L300*2
L300*3

SW1
SW2

All these cars in the past couple of years...most people have no idea what type of Saturn they own. :lol:
haha that just goes to show the focus is a good car.. for the price

she could have taken that 2k and 'stepped up' to a more optioned out focus.. the logical choice it was 'the best' car... but once she got to a higher price point.. she (correctly IMHO) stepped up to a 'better' car
naz,May 20 2004, 06:52 PM Wrote:haha that just goes to show the focus is a good car.. for the price

she could have taken that 2k and 'stepped up' to a more optioned out focus.. the logical choice it was 'the best' car... but once she got to a higher price point.. she (correctly IMHO) stepped up to a 'better' car
I think she got the better car to. But like I said if she was only using the 6K....we would have two foci's in my driveway....(you would know she wanted your car)

I tried selling her the justy, but she wouldnt take it....somehting about to much rust??? :huh:
you tried to SELL your gf your suburu beater LOL!!

don't feel bad man.. i tried to GIVE my gf the car and she didn't really want it haha

something about rust and old and weird looking wagon

haha

non car people.. what are you going to do with them.

that focus sedan was probably a better deal that my car.. i mean.. it had 1/3 less mileage, and that old lady probably doesn't drive anywhere near as hard as i do

oh well.. i sold my car too.. so it all works out

:)
I was joking about selling her my beater. Its my beater, c'mon :P :D