FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Re-check Your Summer Plans.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of you may or may not know, I am employed with Air Canada. It looks like, (mumblings and grumblings for months now) that service may be disrupted this summer as our collective agreement goes up for arbitration as of June 1st 2009. The employees may be working through the summer without some sort of tentative deal.

Now your asking yourself, "What is this guy blabering about??" Underlying meaning behind my rambling is.... If you have plans to go anywhere this summer on any Air Canada flight, you may end up NOT going, or have your trip interupted, with ground delays and low employee/staffing levels. :blink:

Check with your travel agent and ask them if there are any other options in terms of travelling with another carrier just in case something DOES happen. It pretty much looks like WE (the company) will be filing for bankruptcy protection (yet again) and the cuts will start as soon as the paperwork hits the table. :o

Montie Brewer (story will be linked momentarilly), former CEO of AC, formally resigned yesterday, as a final farewell (which the story hasn't been published yet) cut out our monthly bonus for on time departures. Now what does that mean?? A lot of people look at it as, "well there a bunch of bag-monkeys who toss bags and blah blah blah!" when you take the incentive out of working hard basically you get the old adage of "when you pay peanuts you get monkeys" lol.

Most of the sur-plus funding, which should of been set aside for the retiring pensioners who put in about 25-30 years, was re-invested into the fleet of aircraft prematurely. Now WE (employees of AC) received a package mail-out the other day saying that the company "might" dip into the pension fund to help alleviate some/most of the costs relating to operating an airline, with a weak explanation of "pension solvency", in other words we need to borrow your money that you contributed but we may not have enough to pay you back.

If you know anybody or yourselves for that matter who have any stock with Air Canada, or Air Miles, cash them out or ask your local credit card company whom you deal with what the forcasted options would be for you. Robert Milton the so-called saviour of Air Canada, who merged "Canadian" airlines into the fleet, is being swayed/lured over to become XO or some form of CEO with British Airlines. This basically means that if he does go over there he will dump all of his remaining shares with AC (which are basically trading for a cup of coffee now) and will basically flatline any value of them whatsoever.

Please don't take this as a rant or some sort mis-guided hatred towards my employer. This is just a friendly heads-up to my fellow Focus Folks! Who I know work hard to enjoy whatever time they have off, and I would hate to see their hard-earned vacation interupted by greedy executives stepping on the throats of the people who bank-roll their lifestyle .

Montie Brewer resignation:
http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1445585

A little read-up on Robert Milton (an older article but read betweeen the lines to see what holds of the future) I sound like one of those carnival fortune tellers lol!

http://www.thestar.com/article/558486

Thank you for your time. ;)

Looks like I was smart to decide to book my vacation to Europe for the fall but now I'm not sure if I should book with AC or take my lumps with another carrier (All of the others are more expensive for the flight I'm looking to book)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 31 2009, 03:12 PM Wrote:Looks like I was smart to decide to book my vacation to Europe for the fall but now I'm not sure if I should book with AC or take my lumps with another carrier (All of the others are more expensive for the flight I'm looking to book)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283923[/snapback][/right]

Just to give you some insight Daniel in Toronto we are contracted to the following carriers to do their ground-handling services (from baggage-to cargo-to pushing out the flight) :

Jazz*
Alitalia
Lufthansa
Air Jamaica
IceLandAir
Austrian
Jet Airways

Most of our "secondary" contracts, pretty much that list I just rambled off,apart from Jazz, most of them have a "contingency" plan just in case if service is disrupted. They will out-source or hire companies from Terminal 3, such as Handlex/Swissport.

So double-check who your "other" carrier might be. This might turn into one of those carnival "shell-games"
Well hell, that may strike at least one of the other options off my list (Lufthansa)

Better check to see if Swiss will still be running flights to Toronto in September <_<

NefCanuck
thanks for the heads up.

I'm planning to do go to the east cost this august, maybe i take Westjet. But i'm still going to Cali in May and going with AC. I have to :) got too many points and need to use them.
NefCanuck,Mar 31 2009, 03:30 PM Wrote:Well hell, that may strike at least one of the other options off my list (Lufthansa)

Better check to see if Swiss will still be running flights to Toronto in September <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283925[/snapback][/right]

You might want to consider Buffalo to NYC and then to Europe - you might even save some money to boot.
ZTWsquared,Mar 31 2009, 04:05 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Mar 31 2009, 03:30 PM Wrote:Well hell, that may strike at least one of the other options off my list (Lufthansa)

NefCanuck

You might want to consider Buffalo to NYC and then to Europe - you might even save some money to boot.
[right][snapback]283928[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunately my traveling companion (mother) cannot legally get into the US so that option is a dead end :(

NefCanuck
Sounds more like AC may be a distant memory this summer. Bankruptcy protection twice in 6 years??? Not good!

I wonder what they're doing to guard against this at work, as we constantly have people travelling within Canada, continental N.A. and worldwide.
NefCanuck,Mar 31 2009, 07:18 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

Unfortunately my traveling companion (mother) cannot legally get into the US so that option is a dead end :(

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283934[/snapback][/right]

Daniel, if your looking to travel to Europe, you also have, British Airways, Air Transat, Air France as other options, or you may have to look into Sencondary airlines/airports such as flying out of Hamilton International.

ANTHONYD,Mar 31 2009, 08:44 PM Wrote:Sounds more like AC may be a distant memory this summer. Bankruptcy protection twice in 6 years???  Not good!
[right][snapback]283938[/snapback][/right]

twice in 6 years..yes, the first time was only for the fact to "acquire" Canadian Airlines..they were not considered a "threat" in terms of competition. BUT, take into account, if you "Takeover" an airline you assume their contracts/routes, which basically Canadian Airlines had a stranglehond of ALL the Pacific/Asian destinations which = BIG BUCKS. i.e a First Class ticket (round trip) from Toronto to Hong Kong is aprox. $18 thousand dollars I KID YOU NOT!!!, and 1st class on these flights is ALWAYS sold out. So you see where the money is on that one, we even prioritize that flight with the flight # 001.

NOS2Go4Me,Mar 31 2009, 08:59 PM Wrote:I wonder what they're doing to guard against this at work, as we constantly have people travelling within Canada, continental N.A. and worldwide.
[right][snapback]283940[/snapback][/right]

More than likely if something WERE to happen, most of the N/A flights would be pushed over to United & US Airways since they are also 'Star Alliance' members/airlines.
I took KLM to France yestarday......."Its Niiiiice"
Air Canada is B.S. period.

Horrible service, and in most places not a priority. I've been stranded in Newark, Phily, Boston, and Washington multiple times because of "weather" but when I finally check into the hotel, CNN and the Weather Network are all posting clear skies. I'm convinced they cancel flights on purpose because they are not full. Total crap in my books.

I've flown out of Montreal in weather I wouldn't even drive in.

Not to mention it's not policy to accommodate customers when stranded anymore? what happened to service????

I've switched all of my travel for work over to Porter, at least 10 flights a month, (where applicable) Now that's how business travel should be! Nice lounge, they know me by name, pillows are free, and I'm never left in the cold with no explanation, no vouchers, and no clue. I don;t have to deal with the bulls*** terminals, rules and crap that comes along with traveling through Pearson.

I'm not saying Air Canada needs to go under, I just think the irony in them needing money is hilarious seeing they've been robbing us for years.

I can fly out of Buffalo all the way to Phoenix for 99 bucks! Air Canada out of pearson? Over 500 bucks!
Dimitri,Mar 31 2009, 10:43 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Mar 31 2009, 07:18 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283934[/snapback][/right]

Daniel, if your looking to travel to Europe, you also have, British Airways, Air Transat, Air France as other options, or you may have to look into Sencondary airlines/airports such as flying out of Hamilton International.

[right][snapback]283943[/snapback][/right]

True that but with my special requirements a direct flight between Toronto & Zurich is the best option.

I've heard horror stories about having to sprint from one side of the airport to another to catch a connecting flight, in my case my luggage would make the flight and I wouldn't :ph34r:

Here's hoping things get resolved without a mess...

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 1 2009, 09:38 AM Wrote:True that but with my special requirements a direct flight between Toronto & Zurich is the best option.

I've heard horror stories about having to sprint from one side of the airport to another to catch a connecting flight, in my case my luggage would make the flight and I wouldn't :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283978[/snapback][/right]

Surely you qualify for one of those gonzo golf carts you see careening through the terminal ... hell, they might even let you drive!

And yeah, I know ... don't call you Shirley.
ZTWsquared,Apr 1 2009, 02:49 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 1 2009, 09:38 AM Wrote:True that but with my special requirements a direct flight between Toronto & Zurich is the best option.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]283978[/snapback][/right]

Surely you qualify for one of those gonzo golf carts you see careening through the terminal ... hell, they might even let you drive!

And yeah, I know ... don't call you Shirley.
[right][snapback]284033[/snapback][/right]

You've never seen me drive a golf cart.... I learned by watching dad :ph34r: :lol:

NefCanuck