FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help Me Diagnose This Problem....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While idling my car occasionally stalls, when I try to restart it there is no power in the cluster, and the engine doesnt turn over.... If I let it sit for about 10 sec then retry it usually starts up again. Also on while accelerating in first gear (at around 3500-4000) the cars electricity will completely cut out for a split second(gauges go down, radio stops, engine stalls).... It happens so fast that I dont even have time to put it in neutral before the car gets bump started again on its own.... Then it will drive flawlessly for a few hours, and all of a sudden it will start doing it again.

Does this sound like an alternator, or battery problem to you guys? I find it strange that it the problem comes and goes, so I thought I would ask on here before taking it to the dealer. B)

-P@
i'd start off by checking the connection of the wires to the battery

then check the wires themselves.. follow them as far back as you go, see if the insulation has been worn through anywhere

also i think a lot of places have free tests where they will check the battery/alternator of your car.. you could try those before paying money at the dealer

Checked the wires already..... didnt see any cut insulation but Ill check again. Thanks for the response.

;)

-P@
did you check how the bolts on the battery connectors are torqued down?

i had this exact same problem and it turned out to be the connector was loose

sounds like you checked already and your fix is going to be a lot more complicated/expensive

good luck man
i would cite a bad terminal connection....

take off the terminals and clean thouroughly with a wire brush, both the battery and wire terminals...

just looking at the terminals doesn't always show the fault

hopefully you haven't already done that and it will be an easy fix
dont forget grounds...
Could a bad stereo ground be the cause?
Cutting out doesn't sound like a battery issue......

What is the charge on the battery? It sounds like an alternator issue to me.
Sounds exactly like my friends porsche ..

The connector doesnt sit on the battery right and it almost does the exact same thing.

I have a video of him... mid drift... his car shutting off.
I found a potential source of the problem.... a semi-exposed wire running from the battery... I've taped it up and Ill let you know if the problems persist. :)

-P@
lordkingod,May 17 2004, 07:36 PM Wrote:Checked the wires already..... didnt see any cut insulation but Ill check again. Thanks for the response.

;)

-P@
you're welcome :)
Dan, didnt your car completely loose power and die durring a mini cruise we had near ur house? and it turned out to be the battery connectors werent clamped down at all?
paolo,May 18 2004, 03:03 AM Wrote:Dan, didnt your car completely loose power and die durring a mini cruise we had near ur house? and it turned out to be the battery connectors werent clamped down at all?
Yep. hahaha... I forgot about that.
paolo,May 17 2004, 11:03 PM Wrote:Dan, didnt your car completely loose power and die durring a mini cruise we had near ur house? and it turned out to be the battery connectors werent clamped down at all?
Is that when you laid a beatin to your car?
Ford's are notorious for having poor ground wires. It sounds like you found the problem. What happens is the ground gets interrupted at times when you drive thus causing the occasional problem. I had the same problem in my F150 until the boy took a look and quickly discovered the bad ground. Change it when you get a few bucks as they can be expensive.